• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saddle measurements

nakwakto00

Adventurist
My wife is considering a new bike, a R1200GS. She is looking at factory lowered bikes. She currently rides a 2010 G650GS and a 2004 R1150RT. As she is only 5'7" she has three concerns, (1) being able to "flat foot" the bike (that is, stand on both feet - heel to toe - firmly on the ground while on the bike); (2) the seat width at the narrowest part; and (3) distance from foot peg to seat. The seat width and peg to seat hight are important because these affect how well she can "flat foot" and riding comfort.

I did some measurements of the motorcycles we currently own. I did three measurements: (1) saddle edge across which includes the curvature of the seat from left to right (at the narrowest portion of the seat); (2) top down view approximation of seat edge left to right (again, narrowest portion of the seat); and (3) side view approximation from peg to seat (at the lowest point of the seat).

None of the bikes she rides now are factory lowered. Her R1150RT does have a "custom" seat. If there is a seat adjustment she has it on the lowest position. She likes her G650GS but can only touch the road using the balls of her feet. Her R1150RT she can almost flat foot - heels are slightly raised - but feels it's too wide.

My interest is to know how other women riders feel about being able to flat foot a bike while stopped and if the seat is too wide for comfort and handling. It would be interesting to know similar rider heights and seat measurements as well as comments and corrections/modifications made specifically for a R1200GS, but all input is welcome.

Here are some of the measurements I made (male and female rider measurements for comparison):
Male rider, 75" (6'3")
Female rider, 67" (5'7")
2006 R1200RT (male rider) Seat across, 17.25"; top down view, 10.75"; peg to seat, 22"
2004 R1150RT (female rider) Seat across, 20" (custom seat); top down view, 12.25"; peg to seat, 17.75"
2013 F800GS (male rider) Seat across, 12"; top down view, 8"; peg to seat, 23"
2010 G650GS (female rider) Seat across, 17.75"; top down view, 11.5"; peg to seat, 20"

Have you looked at Corbin? They can make the seat with a 'nose job', a taper at the front to make the seat a little narrower. Makes it easier to reach the ground and reduces bulk between the legs.

I'm a guy, not a gal, so this may not apply. But I am 5'6".

I started out riding again on scooters after a 25 year break. I put about 80,000 miles on them, which I mention only to show that I became very familiar with the "feel" of a scooter chassis and I was certainly no novice to riding. One huge difference between riding a scooter and a motorcycle is that open space in front of you before the dash.

A few years ago, I decided to move to a motorcycle with a 5.5 gallon gas tank. The mental feeling was that the bike was going to fall over and that gas tank seemed about 2-3 times wider than it was really. It was a little scary. I just knew in the dealership, that I would get on this bike...it would tip over as my leg was going over...and it would go crashing down on the other bikes around it.

Being 5'6" with a 28 inch inseam, there is probably no bike made that I can flat foot. But one thing that kept me going was an early YouTube video showing a petite woman riding something large like an ST1300 on an obstacle course for a police competition. She had been riding for years and could only get one foot down at a stop. If she could do it, I could.

One last thought...what would your wife possibly gain from riding a R1200GS? http://theperfectline.kinja.com/this-is-not-the-bike-you-are-looking-for-a-case-agains-1752109020

Chris

My interest is to know how other women riders feel about being able to flat foot a bike while stopped and if the seat is too wide for comfort and handling. It would be interesting to know similar rider heights and seat measurements as well as comments and corrections/modifications made specifically for a R1200GS, but all input is welcome.

:lol If I waited to find a bike I could flat foot, I would never ride! Also, it is not about how tall a person is, but your inseam measurement. I happen to have 27" inseam. I can ride the hell out of ANY motorcycle, it's the starting & stopping that is tricky. I personally ride a factory lowered & lowered again with a KOUBA link G650GS single, and I still can't "flat foot". I got over that a long time ago. I am physically strong for a 5' gal and can do what I have to, but I feel more at ease and confident with what I ride. She will enjoy a bike that she can park, push around, and put on the centerstand by herself.

Since H doesn't do the Forum thing, I asked her if she flat foots any of her bikes. Some yes, some no. 5'6ish, 30 ish inseam.
The only bike she shies from is my GSA...I can't always flat foot mine either depending on suspension settings.

As far as what she would gain question...her choice to ride whatever she chooses and feels comfortable on. Just because it's a dual sport doesn't lock it in that environment or should folks feel guilty for not running in that environment of all off road like that article lends itself to. Its an awesome mileage eater and touring platform. I left the RT as the GS did more of what I wanted to do as a solo pilot. I don't frequent Starbucks,and I have worn my tail off on a few occasions for taking it places I knew better of solo...but did anyways.

Since H doesn't do the Forum thing, I asked her if she flat foots any of her bikes. Some yes, some no. 5'6ish, 30 ish inseam.
The only bike she shies from is my GSA...I can't always flat foot mine either depending on suspension settings.

I almost bought an R1200GSA once, until I found out it didn't come with the step ladder I needed to get on it. :)

I almost bought an R1200GSA once, until I found out it didn't come with the step ladder I needed to get on it. :)

There's one that comes by regular...rider is 6'6ish and has a Day Long saddle...I can barely tiptoe on one side...the Day Long comes off when I ride it:doh

I bought a low suspension R1200GS a couple of months ago and absolutely love it! Can I flat foot it? Not quite, but I've always had that problem, since I'm 5'4", with a 28.5 inseam. Previously I had a low suspension RT, a VStrom 650, Harley street glide and my first bike was a sportster. I am careful where I park and have never planned to do any real off road riding...just the occasional fire road or lite gravel when camping.

I have 2300 miles now on the GS and haven't had any problems. It is super comfortable and I'm looking forward to doing some long distance touring which I love. My dealer helped me with a few mods before I bought it...shaved the seat a bit and added risers. We also cut the bars down an inch so they weren't so wide. I also wear daytona lady star boots which have a lift in them that has helped a lot with my last few bikes.

Has your wife sat on a low suspension GS? When she does, be sure the seat is in the low position, and ESA set to one helmet so it's the lowest it can possibly be. Feel free to ask any more specific questions. Good luck to your wife!

Back