• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'95 K75 Turn Signal Flasher

72r60/7

My Left turn signal was not working.

The front is a stock signal light and the rear is a Jesse Saddlebag turn signal. The Jessee Bag supplied light is basically a truck top front cab marker light (incandescent) that has become a lot less bright with age. A very bright 24 LED cluster was added to compensate for the poor illumination condition. They have worked flawlessly for years and maybe years on top of that.

The other day the left turn signal,(the left only), began to flash rapidly as if a bulb had burned out. I checked and sure enough the rear incandescent was not working and it was not a burned out bulb but a loose wire that should have been soldered instead of a mechanical connection. After the loose connection was repaired, and all the indicator bulbs were working, the flasher remained in a fault mode on the left side. The rapid flashing started after a few normal on and off sequences and then continued with the rapid flashing.

Well I just figured I would get a new flasher and it must be the problem (I hope). It should be only $7 so that probably equates to maybe $21 in BMW parts money scale. I can see it coming. WHAT ! $168 will get you a very new never been flashed flasher. Yep $168. There must be a couple of parts pricers at the mothership whose job it is to ring a bell for all to hear and pat each other on the back repeatedly when ever someone buys one of these parts.
Well I have had the good fortune of paying way too much for a parts bike a few years back and within minutes after a foray into the shed out back I was able to return with a perfectly good used flasher to troubleshoot with.

The trouble was the flasher, and the used one solved the problem. At least it worked properly all day today. Tomorrow may be a different story.

How much would it have cost for a shop or dealer to repair a malfunctioning flasher module ?
Really, I wrote in to convey my experience to other backyarders. I do have a small shop but I consider myself a backyarder. You can't really hide it anyway.

Now the real question seems to be:
Can these expensive flashers be repaired ?
Is there a cheaper source that does not cost an arm and two legs ?
If not, does some one want this bad one to investigate repairing so as to benefit all from the knowledge of doing so ? I'll be glad to send it to them.

Charlie

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had a similar problem with my 90 k75s. When the right signal was used everything was normal, but when using the left
it was a left signal for a few flashes then turned to 4 way flashers. My bike never had the switch for 4 way flashers. I cleaned all the connections with no luck, so decided to change the relay, when I found out how much for a signal relay, I found a used one on ebay for $20. Works fine.

Oh.

I've never used eBay.
Never mind.

Charlie

posts script:
Pretty simple. Thanks mohler, for probably the easiest solution.
For $20, I should have saved a rant on something more important.

relay

Just so you know, that relay is also the "brain" for the self-cancelling featuure so it figures time, miles traveled and clutch position at least! No wonder it costs so much.

Just so you know, that relay is also the "brain" for the self-cancelling featuure so it figures time, miles traveled and clutch position at least! No wonder it costs so much.

Uh oh... are we gonna have to start calling you K-bike Bruce now? :laugh

:beer

Turn single indicator

I have a 1987 K75s. The other day the left turn single failed. I checked the bulbs and replaced the front bulb. Now the front and rear turn single work fine but the indicator in the gauge pack doesn’t! I went through the tedious process of removing the gauge pack and checked the bulb. It worked just fine when I applied power to it out of its mounting socket. I cleaned a few things, though nothing looked like it needed it and reassembled the gauge pack. I reconnected everything and tried the blinker again. Unfortunately, nothing changed. The right turn single works perfectly. In summary, I’m right back where I started. Front and rear turn single lights work fine but the indicator on the gauge pack doesn’t.

Has anyone experienced this? Have any thoughts? I’m still trying to get the bike back together; not fun.:banghead

I have a 1987 K75s. The other day the left turn single failed. I checked the bulbs and replaced the front bulb. Now the front and rear turn single work fine but the indicator in the gauge pack doesn’t! I went through the tedious process of removing the gauge pack and checked the bulb. It worked just fine when I applied power to it out of its mounting socket. I cleaned a few things, though nothing looked like it needed it and reassembled the gauge pack. I reconnected everything and tried the blinker again. Unfortunately, nothing changed. The right turn single works perfectly. In summary, I’m right back where I started. Front and rear turn single lights work fine but the indicator on the gauge pack doesn’t.

Has anyone experienced this? Have any thoughts? I’m still trying to get the bike back together; not fun.:banghead

You should really start a new thread instead of reviving a 5 year old thread that is for a different issue.

You should really start a new thread instead of reviving a 5 year old thread that is for a different issue.

I would say that the new post should be placed with this tread since it involves what appears to be a secondary problem from a failed flasher relay. :brow

Huh? not even the same person or year of bike. :banghead

It's a K75 which is the same bike. From some of your other posts it seems you are unfamiliar with the classic K-bikes. The K75 was completely unmodified by BMW for it's entire production run other than some seat/bar configurations, whether the rear brake was drum or disk, and the front forks type and brand. So any year K75 fits this thread.

The point of these threads is to collect information about different subject, and waking up an old thread is the best way to do that. All the more so when more than one person has had the same or similar problem. It's often the secondary aspects of the initially reported problem which lead to a fix. I've actually had that happen for me on several occasions. :dance

Back