• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BMW's Leatherguard pants

F

Fr8dog

I'd like to hear comments from anyone about Leatherguard pants, (are
they truly waterproof, are they too hot when the weather is in the
90's?)

Or are there other waterproof leather pants out there that I should check out?

-Gary

Gary said:
I'd like to hear comments from anyone about Leatherguard pants, (are
they truly waterproof, are they too hot when the weather is in the
90's?)

Or are there other waterproof leather pants out there that I should check out?

-Gary

I like the Darien stuff.

Aerostich

I have the BMW Commuter pants Summer weight cordura (not the bibs), though they are not waterproof, they are fairly water resistant, and adding rainpants is no problem. I rode cross country with them in July and found them to be very comfortable in a range of 40 degrees to 104 degrees. The full zip sides make for easy on off especially if you wear them over jeans, gerbings, long johns etc.. When it gets a little cold. Slip'em on over jeans and remove when you get where you are going.

The zippered thigh vents were great for allowing heat out and some leg cooling in the hot temps. They fit like regular pants so they do not give the Snowmobile pants look.

I think you can still find the commuters around at a discounted price, and they may even have a newer version out.

All in all a very comfortable wearing pair of riding pants. Only drawback is NO hip padding. It has the knee pads though.

Attachments

• P1030943 B.jpg
    P1030943 B.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 10
Gary, my wife and I both have Motoport Voyager AX pants and they are water/windproof and relatively warm in winter and cool in summer. They have full leg zippers for in-out with boots or shoes on and a high waist for lower back coverage. Plenty of pockets, too. Worth looking at IMO.

Atlantis II

Gary
I bought the Atlantis II jacket and Commuter pants last spring when I purchased my 1150RT. It started to get a little colder/wetter and I purchased the Atlantis II pants. I had a lot of time to think about these things while making my daily 125 mile commute to Michigan.

When the temperature dropped into the high twenties I went out and purchased the Comfort temp underwear. With an electric vest I am quite comfy. My experience with nylon or synthetic fabrics is that they provide no warmth at all. If leather is good enough to keep a cow warm it works for me.

I rode with BradfordBenn to Sturgis, MI in heavy rain at interstate speeds and was still fairly dry after several hundred miles. I was NOT wearing my comfortemp, but cotton so I was a little chilled even with the heated vest when I got there. Once I changed to my comfortemp I was fine for the ride home. I did not purchase the liners for the Atlantis II suit, the ony place watrer seems to seep is through some of the stitching around the knees.

My .02 is to wear synthetics when it is warm with a rain suit over and save the leathers for 75 degrees and cooler. I don't think anyone makes a leather pant that are comfortable in the 90's. Unless you get the full perforated ones but they wouldnt be warm when the temperature dips.

As MrsKbasa said, you can always get warmer but not cooler.:bliss :bliss :bliss

Back