• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nova Scotia in July?

unigobill

We are starting to plan our summer trip to include Nova Scotia in July. Most likely 3rd week. any thing going on that we should not miss. ?? Bike Nights, Rallies, Festivals ??

unigobill@gmail.com
903-815-5529

The Apple Valley Riders Annual Bluenose Rally is the first weekend in July. The NEM Rally in Newry, ME is the last weekend. Meat Cove and Bay Saint Lawrence at the NE'ly edge of the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton are must see stops. In addition to the Cabot Trail, I like the Sunrise and Ceilidh Trails, and the Lunenburg area. Here is a NS events site:
http://www.novascotia.com/events

Louisbourg Fortress on Cape Breton Island. If you like history, allow a minimum of a half day. :thumb

Attachments

• Salty Fog 09 132.jpg
    Salty Fog 09 132.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 137
Peggy's Cove is an amazing little seaside village with an interesting history and a memorial to the TWA flight that went down off shore there. The dirt road out to Meat Cove is easily doable even on big touring bikes and camping out there on those cliffs was quite memorable. We just followed the coastline from Yarmouth up to Ingonish and then started the Cabot Trail around to the west.

Bill from Texas? Well, dang! Bill, shoot me a PM and we can chat about your trip here. Of course, a stop (and that means that nice Oceanview bedroom and some good food) in our little place in Larry's River (home of the Salty Fog Riders Rally :dance), we hope, can make it onto your agenda. - Bob

mid July to mid August is a good time of year (although we like the September/early October a bit better.... fewer tourists on the road. - Bob

The Apple Valley Riders Annual Bluenose Rally is the first weekend in July. The NEM Rally in Newry, ME is the last weekend. Meat Cove and Bay Saint Lawrence at the NE'ly edge of the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton are must see stops. In addition to the Cabot Trail, I like the Sunrise and Ceilidh Trails, and the Lunenburg area. Here is a NS events site:
http://www.novascotia.com/events

Also pencil in the Lighthouse Trail - goes around the north/eastern side of Nova Scotia. VERY nice ride through lots of small towns with wonderful fish chowder. And lots of light houses, including the one at Peggy's Cove. Figure on two days minimum for the Lighthouse Trail. More if you want to spend a day or so in Halifax (very worthwhile..)

This is my "off" year for NS - I'm usually there odd years - first few weeks in September. I've never gotten tired of riding there, or how wonderful the people are to visiting motorcyclists.

Bill, if you can make the Bluenose Rally (FIA International Rally), we - BMW Owners of Nova Scotia (BMWONS MOA Charter Club #97) host a Bavarian Beer Garden Night on Friday evening - free beer for all attendees!!!

Along with the other events already mentioned, the final weekend of the month is the Wharf Rat Rally. More a H-D event but everyone should do it once. - Edit: Woops, sorry it's the end of August, not July. ;-)

Also BMWONS meets every Thursday evening 6-9pm at the Chicken Burger in Bedford. We also do unscheduled day rides on Sunday's from the Tim Hortons in Bedford Crossing, Bedford.

PM me with your email and I'll make sure you get notification of our activities in July.

Regards, Alan

Last edited:
Hit the Doryman in Cheticamp for lunch and live Celtic fiddling on Saturdays starting in the afternoon. (http://www.doryman.ca/)
I can also recommend the hospitable and clean *FORMER* KOA campground, the Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground. They just hosted two dozen of us on the Black Fly Ride this month. (http://baddeckcabottrailcampground.com/)
Baddeck is a cute little summer town, and the Alexander Graham Bell museum is there.

Hello Alan,

I am considering the same thing; linking Nova Scotia with the rally in Hamburg. I recall a recent article in the ON,(forget who wrote it) but he took the ferry from Maine, (I think,) directly to Nova Scotia. If your main destination was the Cabot Trail do many people take that option rather than riding all the way? Thanks.
Bill, if you can make the Bluenose Rally (FIA International Rally), we - BMW Owners of Nova Scotia (BMWONS MOA Charter Club #97) host a Bavarian Beer Garden Night on Friday evening - free beer for all attendees!!!

Along with the other events already mentioned, the final weekend of the month is the Wharf Rat Rally. More a H-D event but everyone should do it once. - Edit: Woops, sorry it's the end of August, not July. ;-)

Also BMWONS meets every Thursday evening 6-9pm at the Chicken Burger in Bedford. We also do unscheduled day rides on Sunday's from the Tim Hortons in Bedford Crossing, Bedford.

PM me with your email and I'll make sure you get notification of our activities in July.

Regards, Alan

Hello Alan,

I am considering the same thing; linking Nova Scotia with the rally in Hamburg. I recall a recent article in the ON,(forget who wrote it) but he took the ferry from Maine, (I think,) directly to Nova Scotia. If your main destination was the Cabot Trail do many people take that option rather than riding all the way? Thanks.

In my view. Save yer $ and ride around. The ride from ferry landing in Yarmouth is four hours...... and about $300 more, to make it to Truro then turn right and ride three hours to the trail. IMO, Ride around and discover Maine coast, New Brunswick, along the Fundy Coast and maybe go across the bridge to PEI and ferry back to mainland NS, turn left and ride on to beautiful Cape Breton. However, off the Yarmouth ferry will take you to some wonderful South Shore and Valley destinations as well. Much to see but do not underestimate the actual travel time and distances involved while traveling in Nova Scotia. Lots to see and do but you do need time on your side. - Bob

I agree with Bob, you certainly won't save money or overall time, just riding time.

From Portland, ME the Ferry takes 5.5 hours and you arrive in Yarmouth at 8pm. There is then a good 3.5-4 hour ride to Truro.

If you ride the whole way it is 8 hours vs 9-10. Therefore, the decision to take the ferry really should be made on wanting to do the ferry ride (it isn't cheap), or if the timing makes it attractive.

Also, Bob is spot on when he says to allow plenty of time for travel in Nova Scotia. Unless you are only traveling to Halifax the other highways are not completely twinned and like the secondary roads, will take longer than expected to travel. There is also just so much to see in many of the small communities that you need to pick and choose where you spend your time.

I live in Bedford, which is a bit closer if I were to take the ferry (compared to Truro, the intersecting point for your two options), but I always ride or drive. Too much Scottish blood in me to spend $500+ to avoid riding or driving for 4 hours and not actually save any time overall.

If you don't take the ferry then definitely take Route-9 from Bangor to Calais rather than I-95 up to Houlton. They are virtually the same time to travel, but I-95 is the same as any other interstate while Route -9 is an enjoyable two-lane with plenty of elevation changes and turns. I'd ride it even if it took 50% longer, but I prefer it, just keep an eye out for Moose.

If you find yourself in the Halifax area on a Thursday, remember that BMWONS, gathers at the Chicken Burger in Bedford from 6-9pm every Thursday. We don't have big numbers, but we like to ride and many of us have been riding for 30-40+ years. Two of our club members, Marilyn and Sandy, took the BMWMOA Rally awards last year in Billings for the most miles ridden solo for both male and female awards. We likely won't do that this year, but you could be in the running, depending on how the rules read and how your trip is structured.

Remember the Bluenose Rally on the July 1st weekend.

We will likely be heading out for Das Rally on Monday, July 11th and overnight outside Bangor, ME, then on the 12th ride to Saratoga Spings, NY and on the 13th get into Hamburg around 4pm. From Bangor to Hamburg it will be virtually all easy riding secondary roads skirting the White Mountains, etc.

Back