• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Moto Mouth Moshe's Review of Held Air N Dry Gloves

moshe_levy

Hello All-

My name is Moshe K. Levy, and I’m a motorcycle journalist, mainly for Motorcycle Consumer News, BMW Owners News, Thunder Press, Rider, and a few other national magazines. A week ago, I launched my new Youtube channel called "Moto Mouth Moshe." There, I will be posting motorcycle accessory and gear reviews, durability reports, technical how-to videos, and much more every Sunday evening. The videos will be concise, with an easy ratings system and definite conclusions as to functionality, value, and durability. I’m going beyond the typical new product reviews, to also focus on how well these accessories, gear, and farkles hold up after a year or two of hard use!

Please visit the Moto Mouth Youtube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
and subscribe if interested. The first video posted last Sunday was a functional overview and durability report on my favorite mid-priced full face helmet, the Scorpion EXO-R2000. Yesterday, I uploaded my (almost) 2 year durability review of Held's Air N Dry gloves (also sold by BMW as the "2 in 1" glove) which can be seen here:

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

-Moshe K. Levy

2015 BMW R1200RT
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 Yamaha YSR50
1973 BMW R75/5

Many of us are quick to make a judgement based on first impressions. Unless you are willing to put yourself through such scrutiny, and have folks like/dislike you before you utter the first word, I would veer away from that. It took two posts for someone to comment on your looks. Let your knowledge speak. You can always have someone attractive model the gear for you, but don't let them speak. It distracts from the product.

-do lots of close ups
-use good lighting and mic
-avoid distractions, like a busy background, dirty hands/nails, etc.
-and, enunciate...add charisma...engage...

Thats my 2cents! :thumb

PS. I had these gloves and tossed in the trash after a season. I would recommend getting a dedicated set for cold and warm weather instead.

Many of us are quick to make a judgement based on first impressions. Unless you are willing to put yourself through such scrutiny, and have folks like/dislike you before you utter the first word, I would veer away from that. It took two posts for someone to comment on your looks. Let your knowledge speak. You can always have someone attractive model the gear for you, but don't let them speak. It distracts from the product.

-do lots of close ups
-use good lighting and mic
-avoid distractions, like a busy background, dirty hands/nails, etc.
-and, enunciate...add charisma...engage...

Thats my 2cents! :thumb

PS. I had these gloves and tossed in the trash after a season. I would recommend getting a dedicated set for cold and warm weather instead.

Thank you guys for the advice. I've received some comments about the sunglasses and, truth be told, I learned that I am not the best speaker on camera. In the first vids, I relied on some notes and cue cards I made for myself, and I used the glasses to be able to glance at them without being obvious about it. I'm getting better with practice and now (as I shoot video #6 on the Dainese D-Crust Plus rain suit) I do not need the sunglasses anymore.

Writing is very easy for me compared to videos. I don't have to worry about my appearance or delivery to write! It's really been a learning experience doing this. But, I'm hoping after penning 12 years worth of articles to you guys in Owner's News that my credibility isn't zapped just because of some shades. :)

Please keep the advice coming. I'm doing all I can to improve. Just me and my old point and shoot camera against the world!

-MKL

PS - Can someone please explain how I can set up preferences to receive an email when someone replies to my posts here on this forum? I thought it was set for that, but apparently not....

PS - Can someone please explain how I can set up preferences to receive an email when someone replies to my posts here on this forum? I thought it was set for that, but apparently not....
Try clicking on "thread tools" eat the top of the thread> subscribe to this thread......Should do it for you.
OM

Thank you guys for the advice. I've received some comments about the sunglasses and, truth be told, I learned that I am not the best speaker on camera. In the first vids, I relied on some notes and cue cards I made for myself, and I used the glasses to be able to glance at them without being obvious about it. I'm getting better with practice and now (as I shoot video #6 on the Dainese D-Crust Plus rain suit) I do not need the sunglasses anymore.

Writing is very easy for me compared to videos. I don't have to worry about my appearance or delivery to write! It's really been a learning experience doing this. But, I'm hoping after penning 12 years worth of articles to you guys in Owner's News that my credibility isn't zapped just because of some shades. :)

My observation was that, when someone wears sunglasses indoors, they are either hiding something or trying to be cool. Both scenarios make me suspicious of what they are talking about. In your case, you were trying to hide reading your your notes. Don't worry about reading your notes, it's not a big deal. Actors do it all the time.

If you want to be on camera, thats fine, just be yourself. If you are an honest man, that will shine through.

My observation was that, when someone wears sunglasses indoors, they are either hiding something or trying to be cool. Both scenarios make me suspicious of what they are talking about. In your case, you were trying to hide reading your your notes. Don't worry about reading your notes, it's not a big deal. Actors do it all the time.

If you want to be on camera, thats fine, just be yourself. If you are an honest man, that will shine through.

Thanks much. Looking back on the first few videos, part of some changes I made is to be inside as little as possible. This stuff is used outside, so why not be outside? Just shot my first sunglass-free video yesterday on Dainese rain gear.

-MKL

Those are my go-to gloves and I agree completely: love the comfort and protection, a bit worried about the durability since there is a bit of thread fraying.

Very accurate review. I have the BMW 2 in 1 glove and love them minus the durability. I'm already on my second pair as the first pair busted a stitch in the left index finger. BMW warranty replaced them. This time if I bust a stich I will attempt to improve the thread myself. Great review.

Very accurate review. I have the BMW 2 in 1 glove and love them minus the durability. I'm already on my second pair as the first pair busted a stitch in the left index finger. BMW warranty replaced them. This time if I bust a stich I will attempt to improve the thread myself. Great review.

Thanks very much!

Those are my go-to gloves and I agree completely: love the comfort and protection, a bit worried about the durability since there is a bit of thread fraying.

I'm not meaning to be critical, so please be kind... I've noticed a few folks in this thread (pardon the pun) have had problems with the thread in these gloves. Isn't that a concern for the crash-worthiness of these gloves? What I mean is, if the thread is fraying and coming loose under normal use, what would be the likely outcome in a slide or similar unfortunate event?

I'm not meaning to be critical, so please be kind... I've noticed a few folks in this thread (pardon the pun) have had problems with the thread in these gloves. Isn't that a concern for the crash-worthiness of these gloves? What I mean is, if the thread is fraying and coming loose under normal use, what would be the likely outcome in a slide or similar unfortunate event?

That's a good question. Something to think about. May need to upgrade my thread sooner than later.

Hi-

In my case the fraying was the fabric formerly known as Cordura in the finger area. The fraying is minor, not major, and does not in any way involve the threads. There is no thread fraying on my gloves.

-MKL

I rode from Long Beach to Anchorage in June. I came out of Stewart, BC at 45 F and pouring rain. Rained for about 5-6 hours. I put on my BMW 2 in 1 gloves (which I think are the same as the Held Air N Dry Gloves) in Stewart. By the time I got to Meziadin Junction, 40 miles, my hands were wet and frozen. These gloves leaked like a sieve.

These gloves were neither warm nor waterproof.

Really disappointed in them.

They might be alright in temperatures down to 55 F or 60 F, but if you are going on a long trip like Alaska you need to be prepared for lower temperatures than that, therefore I would not depend on these gloves.

As was reported in the video, I bought them thinking I could reduce the number of gloves I was carrying. Wasn't true. Wished I had carried warmer more waterproof gloves.

Carried glove warmers, but could not get my hands into into the chamber with the liners on.

My personal experience. Maybe somebody had better experience.

I also believe you can find truly waterproof gloves next to honest politicians and unicorns.

Weel-made overall. I can't comment on the accuracy as I've never used the product. My only niggle is that the music level was high and hot compared to the rest of the sound, which made me reach for the volume-knob to turn it down when the video started and then turn it back up when you began speaking. It's not a major turn-off, but those little tiny details are what add up to being polished and professional. Of course I might be a little more sensitive than most about that sort of thing, as some friends and I, all of us totally inexperienced complete beginners at media/recording type stuff, are trying to produce a podcast that people will actually want to listen to...but that's another story.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Weel-made overall. I can't comment on the accuracy as I've never used the product. My only niggle is that the music level was high and hot compared to the rest of the sound, which made me reach for the volume-knob to turn it down when the video started and then turn it back up when you began speaking. It's not a major turn-off, but those little tiny details are what add up to being polished and professional. Of course I might be a little more sensitive than most about that sort of thing, as some friends and I, all of us totally inexperienced complete beginners at media/recording type stuff, are trying to produce a podcast that people will actually want to listen to...but that's another story.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks guys. Re the waterproofing, maybe I'm lucky, but mine never leaked once. Then again, I've never met another user who had one glove bleach like mine did. Very odd.

Re production value, a few weeks ago I barely knew how to use a point and shoot! I appreciate your patience with me. I have heard this sound issue before, but oddly, it depends on the device. For example, on my laptop, it's fine. On my wife's Ipad, the sound varies wildly. Not sure what I can do about it, but I'll try to find out.

-MKL

Back