Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto Mouth Moshe's Review of Held Air N Dry Gloves

Moto Mouth Moshe's Review of Held Air N Dry Gloves

Hello All-

My name is Moshe K. Levy, and I’m a motorcycle journalist, mainly for Motorcycle Consumer News, BMW Owners News, Thunder Press, Rider, and a few other national magazines. A week ago, I launched my new Youtube channel called "Moto Mouth Moshe." There, I will be posting motorcycle accessory and gear reviews, durability reports, technical how-to videos, and much more every Sunday evening. The videos will be concise, with an easy ratings system and definite conclusions as to functionality, value, and durability. I’m going beyond the typical new product reviews, to also focus on how well these accessories, gear, and farkles hold up after a year or two of hard use!

Please visit the Moto Mouth Youtube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    and subscribe if interested. The first video posted last Sunday was a functional overview and durability report on my favorite mid-priced full face helmet, the Scorpion EXO-R2000. Yesterday, I uploaded my (almost) 2 year durability review of Held's Air N Dry gloves (also sold by BMW as the "2 in 1" glove) which can be seen here:

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

-Moshe K. Levy

2015 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
    1987 Yamaha YSR50
    1973 BMW R75/5

Thanks, Moshe. Nice review and very useful.

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Thanks, Moshe. Nice review and very useful.

Harry
    Thanks Harry!

-MKL

Take off the sunglasses! You lost any credibility right at the start.

Many of us are quick to make a judgement based on first impressions. Unless you are willing to put yourself through such scrutiny, and have folks like/dislike you before you utter the first word, I would veer away from that. It took two posts for someone to comment on your looks. Let your knowledge speak. You can always have someone attractive model the gear for you, but don't let them speak. It distracts from the product.

-do lots of close ups
    -use good lighting and mic
    -avoid distractions, like a busy background, dirty hands/nails, etc.
    -and, enunciate...add charisma...engage...

Thats my 2cents!

PS. I had these gloves and tossed in the trash after a season. I would recommend getting a dedicated set for cold and warm weather instead.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by proverbio View Post
    Many of us are quick to make a judgement based on first impressions. Unless you are willing to put yourself through such scrutiny, and have folks like/dislike you before you utter the first word, I would veer away from that. It took two posts for someone to comment on your looks. Let your knowledge speak. You can always have someone attractive model the gear for you, but don't let them speak. It distracts from the product.

-do lots of close ups
    -use good lighting and mic
    -avoid distractions, like a busy background, dirty hands/nails, etc.
    -and, enunciate...add charisma...engage...

Thats my 2cents!

PS. I had these gloves and tossed in the trash after a season. I would recommend getting a dedicated set for cold and warm weather instead.
    Thank you guys for the advice. I've received some comments about the sunglasses and, truth be told, I learned that I am not the best speaker on camera. In the first vids, I relied on some notes and cue cards I made for myself, and I used the glasses to be able to glance at them without being obvious about it. I'm getting better with practice and now (as I shoot video #6 on the Dainese D-Crust Plus rain suit) I do not need the sunglasses anymore.

Writing is very easy for me compared to videos. I don't have to worry about my appearance or delivery to write! It's really been a learning experience doing this. But, I'm hoping after penning 12 years worth of articles to you guys in Owner's News that my credibility isn't zapped just because of some shades.

Please keep the advice coming. I'm doing all I can to improve. Just me and my old point and shoot camera against the world!

-MKL

PS - Can someone please explain how I can set up preferences to receive an email when someone replies to my posts here on this forum? I thought it was set for that, but apparently not....
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moshe_levy View Post
    PS - Can someone please explain how I can set up preferences to receive an email when someone replies to my posts here on this forum? I thought it was set for that, but apparently not....
    Try clicking on "thread tools" eat the top of the thread> subscribe to this thread......Should do it for you.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Try clicking on "thread tools" eat the top of the thread> subscribe to this thread......Should do it for you.
    OM
    Thanks!

-MKL
    Moshe K. Levy
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

[QUOTE=moshe_levy;1050015]Thank you guys for the advice. I've received some comments about the sunglasses and, truth be told, I learned that I am not the best speaker on camera. In the first vids, I relied on some notes and cue cards I made for myself, and I used the glasses to be able to glance at them without being obvious about it. I'm getting better with practice and now (as I shoot video #6 on the Dainese D-Crust Plus rain suit) I do not need the sunglasses anymore.

Writing is very easy for me compared to videos. I don't have to worry about my appearance or delivery to write! It's really been a learning experience doing this. But, I'm hoping after penning 12 years worth of articles to you guys in Owner's News that my credibility isn't zapped just because of some shades.

My observation was that, when someone wears sunglasses indoors, they are either hiding something or trying to be cool. Both scenarios make me suspicious of what they are talking about. In your case, you were trying to hide reading your your notes. Don't worry about reading your notes, it's not a big deal. Actors do it all the time.

If you want to be on camera, thats fine, just be yourself. If you are an honest man, that will shine through.

[QUOTE=Moto316;1050220]
    Quote Originally Posted by moshe_levy View Post
    Thank you guys for the advice. I've received some comments about the sunglasses and, truth be told, I learned that I am not the best speaker on camera. In the first vids, I relied on some notes and cue cards I made for myself, and I used the glasses to be able to glance at them without being obvious about it. I'm getting better with practice and now (as I shoot video #6 on the Dainese D-Crust Plus rain suit) I do not need the sunglasses anymore.

My observation was that, when someone wears sunglasses indoors, they are either hiding something or trying to be cool. Both scenarios make me suspicious of what they are talking about. In your case, you were trying to hide reading your your notes. Don't worry about reading your notes, it's not a big deal. Actors do it all the time.

If you want to be on camera, thats fine, just be yourself. If you are an honest man, that will shine through.
    Thanks much. Looking back on the first few videos, part of some changes I made is to be inside as little as possible. This stuff is used outside, so why not be outside? Just shot my first sunglass-free video yesterday on Dainese rain gear.

-MKL
    Moshe K. Levy

Those are my go-to gloves and I agree completely: love the comfort and protection, a bit worried about the durability since there is a bit of thread fraying.

Proper practice and preparation prevents piss-poor performance. 😎

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Very accurate review. I have the BMW 2 in 1 glove and love them minus the durability. I'm already on my second pair as the first pair busted a stitch in the left index finger. BMW warranty replaced them. This time if I bust a stich I will attempt to improve the thread myself. Great review.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Very accurate review. I have the BMW 2 in 1 glove and love them minus the durability. I'm already on my second pair as the first pair busted a stitch in the left index finger. BMW warranty replaced them. This time if I bust a stich I will attempt to improve the thread myself. Great review.
    Thanks very much!
    Moshe K. Levy

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Those are my go-to gloves and I agree completely: love the comfort and protection, a bit worried about the durability since there is a bit of thread fraying.
    I'm not meaning to be critical, so please be kind... I've noticed a few folks in this thread (pardon the pun) have had problems with the thread in these gloves. Isn't that a concern for the crash-worthiness of these gloves? What I mean is, if the thread is fraying and coming loose under normal use, what would be the likely outcome in a slide or similar unfortunate event?
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)