• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How hot is too hot?

114 yesterday riding home from work but I only have a short trip. Southern Utah is almost as warm as AZ right now but I have gone into the mountains a few weeks ago and was met with 68 degree temperatures and some snow on Cedar mountain.

I am doing a California Superbike course in a few weeks at Miller Motorsports. Forecast is mid 90s.

I went North on Monday into the PA mountains and had to actually put my leather jacket on later in the day.
Forecast at Harrisburg was for temps in the mid 90s, so I figured, "go north"! No idea how hot it did get around home- BUT I was pretty hot in my leather when I got home after sunset!
Of course 90s is darn near Winter time temps for you AZ guys.

Looking at recent past rallys, heat or heat and humidity have been a problem. Post rally comments from the PA and MO rallys were pretty clear. Not saying you can grin and bear it and have a good time. Some folks will consider the heat and decided they don't want to.

IMO Continuing to be locked into the middle of summer is hurting more than it is helping.

+1!!!

We'll see how this pans-out in the future, with the trend in recent years being to more and more hotter summers and lots of records being set for heat.

I also always thought it was funny that a club that can't seem to escape the high and still aging average age of members was so worried about scheduling the rally during times other than when the kids are out of school. I never thought I'd see the Mileage Contest dates get opened-up to more temperate periods either but that just happened, so maybe there's hope for cooler rally dates yet too.

?????????

Yesterdays high in STL was 88 yesterday.

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/st-louis/historic?ref=driverlayer.com

And there were very few riders on the road yesterday and I'm pretty sure none of them intended to sleep in a tent last night (which was relatively cool)

I'm driving to Asheville, NC today, 555 miles one way to pick up a F 800 GS (hey I can be a GS Giant again), I will look for folks on bikes.

To be an MOA supporter doesn't require blind allegiance and saying everything is 100% good.

Some rally sites are better than others. I believe the Vermont Rally still holds the record for attendance. Rally attendance analysis requires looking at more than the number of attendees. But it also, by itself, means something. Looking at recent past rallys, heat or heat and humidity have been a problem. Post rally comments from the PA and MO rallys were pretty clear. Not saying you can grin and bear it and have a good time. Some folks will consider the heat and decided they don't want to.

IMO Continuing to be locked into the middle of summer is hurting more than it is helping.

YMMV

Agreed.

While summer-like weather is needed to accommodate the trans-continental travel of many members that wish to attend (and may live a great distance away from the named rally site), it does seem odd we willingly separate the USA into broad, geographic regions from which to select a site, but cannot be equally generous with a 'date range' rather than the same week in July every year?!

Rotate rallies thru regions - I get that, and continue to investigate new sites - yes, "variety is the spice of life." But why not propose that our annual rally will occur sometime between, say, May 15th and September 15th, and factor in favorable weather within the pre-determined region to dictate when.

Announce it early, so advance planning/vacation selecting/vendor scheduling can occur, and see what happens?!

An experiment that fails can be corrected.

An experiment never even considered? "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Last edited:
An experiment never even considered? "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretsky

I agree with your post 100% because...it makes sense. :thumb

Oh, and Wayne spells his name with a "z" not an "s". And its pronounced "zed" where he's from. Mispelling Wayne's name in Canada is a felony and punishable by having to participate in a football game using 4 downs. :laugh

Rotate rallies thru regions - I get that, and continue to investigate new sites - yes, "variety is the spice of life." But why not propose that our annual rally will occur sometime between, say, May 15th and September 15th, and factor in favorable weather within the pre-determined region to dictate when.

I like the idea of whichever region is hosting the rally to have flexibility in choosing not only the place but the time of year. Factors to consider: average temperature which is related to time of year, latitude, and elevation, and also average humidity. While 100 F in Billings is warm, in Kansas City it's almost unbearable. Arid places cool off quicker in the evening. Some common sense and flexibility is called for. (I know, I'm asking too much).

Harry

I agree with your post 100% because...it makes sense. :thumb

Oh, and Wayne spells his name with a "z" not an "s". And its pronounced "zed" where he's from. Mispelling Wayne's name in Canada is a felony and punishable by having to participate in a football game using 4 downs. :laugh

Me bad (mistake due to not being a hockey fan, which is also probably a Felony in Canada).

I corrected the spelling error and will apply for the Canadian Witness Protection Program (I looked it up - just have to say "Eh...." a lot, know the first stanza of "Oh Canada" and order French fires with vinegar instead of ketchup). :dance

Me bad (mistake due to not being a hockey fan, which is also probably a Felony in Canada).

I corrected the spelling error and will apply for the Canadian Witness Protection Program (I looked it up - just have to say "Eh...." a lot, know the first stanza of "Oh Canada" and order French fires with vinegar instead of ketchup). :dance

What are you talking about? Poutine is what you have to order, eh?

too hot ?

One big factor that has not been brought up is site availability. Many of the fairgrounds we have been using have their large fairs in August with graduations and other events filling many other dates during the season. One of the reasons I suggested investigating other venues such as college campuses (many required facilities on site such as dorms, showers, gym or field houses, entertainment venues and more). Another suggestion was a more hotel oriented venue like I tried in Charleston, WV in 03. A very successful and profitable event with a few teething problems, most of which were beyond our control at the time. Many of those teething problems involved my posterior which still hurts all these years later. :violin I do note that the MOA Getaways have become hotel based venues.

Friedle

Hydrate , not only drink water, but soak yourself down with water. Most gas stations have a hose . In the old days i used silk long johns (microfiber for today) . Get wet , ride , repeat . I works!

125F is definitely too hot :)

I was Renting R1200GS in Vegas beginning of June and was riding the first day trough the death valley (NV) it was 125F and I was drinking ton of water before, in between and after and I got to the nearest gas station and I fainted. never happen to me in my life but it was bruttal. So I will say dry 125F is too hot :)
Next day I choose the mountains (Mt. Charlton, Lee canyon and the area).

Hydrate , not only drink water, but soak yourself down with water. Most gas stations have a hose . In the old days i used silk long johns (microfiber for today) . Get wet , ride , repeat . I works!

I agree. That is a good survival strategy. But it doesn't define a particularly pleasant ride.

Works well in a "dry" heat, not so well in the Midwurst when the humidity raises the heat index and means that evaporate cooling is non-existent. That's the reason you don't see "Swamp Coolers" on the roofs of houses here like you do in AZ. :thumb

One big factor that has not been brought up is site availability. Many of the fairgrounds we have been using have their large fairs in August with graduations and other events filling many other dates during the season. One of the reasons I suggested investigating other venues such as college campuses (many required facilities on site such as dorms, showers, gym or field houses, entertainment venues and more). Another suggestion was a more hotel oriented venue like I tried in Charleston, WV in 03. A very successful and profitable event with a few teething problems, most of which were beyond our control at the time. Many of those teething problems involved my posterior which still hurts all these years later. :violin I do note that the MOA Getaways have become hotel based venues.

Friedle

The college option is good, if you can find one that doesn't have summer semester. There might be some private colleges that can do that, but I'm not aware of any public schools that don't offer summer semester. It also has to be a fairly large school that could handle 5000+ rally attendees.

The hotel option is has to deal with the same issue. Our rally is a fairly big event, so you would, likely, need to coordinate several hotels and a common meeting/convention site.

The BMWCCA annual rally is hotel based, but only draws 1000 attendees.

I was Renting R1200GS in Vegas beginning of June and was riding the first day trough the death valley (NV) it was 125F and I was drinking ton of water before, in between and after and I got to the nearest gas station and I fainted. never happen to me in my life but it was bruttal. So I will say dry 125F is too hot :)
Next day I choose the mountains (Mt. Charlton, Lee canyon and the area).
Welcome to the forum! Where you been?:wave
Gary

To hot for me is 305 Degrees Kelvin (about 90 Degrees Fahrenheit) with 35% or more humidity.
I planned on going to Billings, but when I saw temps close to 100 F in Seattle in the weeks before the rally, I wimped out.
It was 118+ F in Death Valley today.
Bill

Last edited:
I suppose we have all ridden in hot temps, but I like to think my old age has smarten me up......

Up here riding in the White Mts of N.H.

.....yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 217
If you are in the White Mountains, Hurricane Mountain Rd. just on the northern outskirts of North Conway may give you a thrill.
OM

Back