• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

DIY Remove & Replace Anakee 3s with Anakee Wilds on 2015 R1200 GS

Moving to Wetheads soon:wave

Yes, can be done "somewhat" easily.If you don't have all the tools, it will add up and offset the savings you had imagined.You a member of your local club ?. someone may have a tire changer:thumb

I bet there are several YouTube clips available.

Breaking the bead will be biggest challenge. A large C-Clamp and some wood blocks will suffice. Or another bikes sidestand carefully levered on the bead edge near rim.

Using rim protectors to not mar the rims...you have the black rims? And flat tire irons. Have had a few folks bring me scarred rims from cludged tools and attempt. New Anakees are very stiff and are a bugger to get the last part of bead over the rim. Tire paste or soapy water is your friend here as well as small wooden blocks to help keep the tire in the drop center of rim...which is shallow on the GS

A torque wrench so you will not overtighten the axle and overload the bearings...also seen this a few times. Brake calipers must come off and be re-torqued as well. The pinch bolts holding axle as well.
The axle is diff from the previous models, one side needs a inverse socket( some sparkplug sockets have a nut on top that fits) the other side is a lock bolt. The previous models threaded into the fork tube.

And how about balancing.:dunno

A prior model DIY...may help a bit

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?34977-HEXHEAD-Tech-R1200XX-Wheel-Assembly-R-amp-R-All-Years

Last edited:
tires

Well, I believe I just found my limit of expertise. Thank you for leading me to reality.

I found that the local Honda dealer will replace tires for $30 off the bike.

Most places want $60 on the bike

the GSALC is pretty easy to pull the front or rear tire and drive over to the local shop and have them do the hard work

I found that the local Honda dealer will replace tires for $30 off the bike.

Most places want $60 on the bike

the GSALC is pretty easy to pull the front or rear tire and drive over to the local shop and have them do the hard work

+1. I found a local shop that has the attachment to balance single sided swing arm rim/tires. I think I routinely pay 85 bucks front and rear. I take the tires off the bike and deliver them. They take off old tires and install the new with Ride-On balancing fluid.
I think that price is more than fair for their time.

Over time, and not much time, you can recover the cost of a tire changer and associated tools. If you split the costs with one or two other riders it becomes a very quick return on investment. I have a NoMar and Marc Parnes balancer. I've also found that having a changer makes a person very popular šŸ˜¬.

And as Steve said, Anakee 3s are very stiff; but an hour in a tire warmer makes them much easier to work with.

Can an occasional wrench turner accomplish this tire swap?

I have been changing motorcycle tires for just over 45 years simply because I never trusted shops but I have never had as much of an issue as I have with the Michelin Anakee 3 (factory fitment). I usually use Metzeler.

Anakee 3s are very stiff...

Understatement of the century.

After breaking the bead in my hydraulic press, I would use each of my knees to drop the bead into the drop center. Yeah right, even at 200# the sidewall hardly deflected. I am sure I could ride on these tires without air in them. I cut the damn tire off...one less chance of rim damage.

For installation, of course the first bead goes on by pressing the tire on. But after a few tries on the last bead, I almost gave up. I used 4 large Irwin clamps to squeeze the beads togther to get them into the drop center. And then it was next to impossible to get the tire on using a dedicated tire lube, my flat spoons and 2" x 5" plastic sheets I cut to protect the rim (been doing that forever). Good thing my friend was around to help.

Thinking about a NoMar Tire Changer, but I have enough shop equipment in my sizeable basement, I really do not want something permanently installed taking up room.

So I was thinking about one of these out of Poland. The OLMAXMOTORS Tire Changer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNk1lRv5Gww

OLMAX.jpg

Last edited:
Back