• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Top-tier gas"

Dear Airheads,
I was attending a presentation for new owners by the BMW Service Manager. Before anyone asks, it does not have two wheels but four (2016 428i, rwd, with a six speed manual transmission.)
As part of a very comprehensive tech presentation the service manager spoke about "Top-tier gas". The claim is that many of the major name brand refiners have a higher amount of additives and better additives in their gas which is then referred to as Top Tier Gas. It is supposed to prevent build up of deposits on valves and a few other benefits.

The question is: Is there something to this or is it just advertising copy?

My /5 and I thank you for your comments.

Adirondack Bob

I've been riding my '73 R75/5 since it came out of the crate in 1973. It wasn't designed with "top tier" gas in mind, and it doesn't seem to care as long as it gets "premium" grade fuel.

Years ago on my R80 in which I used Chevron-Shell 87 I went from Reno to San Francisco. Because of the altitude change I would stop and get gas at a Chevron about half way and get some 92 for the lower elevation. The station I normally stop at changed to a no name station but I stopped anyway.
I filled up with 92 and took off, before I got to the on ramp I was pinging. What ever that gas was it was not 92 or 87. I slowed down and kept the RPM up for the better part of a hundred miles to use up as much gas as possible and then stopped and got some Chevron 92 and it was enough to stop the pinging.

Back