• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R 1200 GS dies when downshifting to a stop

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
hey everyone, today my R 1200 GS died four times. each time I was slowing down for a light, clutch in looking for neutral,and the bike died. twice the dash lights went out and everything was dead. no dash lights, push the starter button, nothing. after 30 seconds to 1 minute, dash lights come on, and the bike starts right up. has anyone seen this? I was hoping to take a trip this Friday, now I am wondering. thanks in advance.

I recently went through this with my R1200R. Fine one day then the next, nothing. Does the dash go dead completely? If it does my bet is on the battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I replaced the battery 4 months ago. I am wondering about the ignition control module. I seem to remember something about problems with them.

A friend of mine with a '05 RT had the same problem, turned out it was the ignition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks for the threads. I think I am using the wrong terminology, what I was thinking about is called EWS ring antenna. I tried looking at a schematic, but not sure what I am looking at.

hey everyone, I think I found the problem. two friends of mine, both professional mechanics said check the negative cable on your battery. so I did and sure enough it had come loose. so I tightened it and everything seems fine. the trip is back on. thanks for the replies

Attachments

• DSC01183a.jpg
    DSC01183a.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 47
Back