• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Should i buy the BMW GPS with my new 1200GSW?

watermelon

i haven't done any electronic maps before and i wonder if there might be a better choice than the GPS that's an option with the GS?
Are people that have that one glad they bought it?

Have a navigator v and has been about a month. Bit pricy but the integration with the hand wheel control has been very helpful. Also use it at times to show speed, heading and related measures. Have not tried to use waypoints or advanced mapping features yet, have only used it for mapping to a final destination.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rode a day in a rain and wind storm and the ease of zooming in and out on the route helped visually and added a level of safety in navigating new roads in limited visibility.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There is a lot of integration and special info with the BMW Navigator-V and the R1200GSW. To my mind, easily worth the extra money for the Nav-V versus other motorcycle ready GPS units.

Not only do you have the thumbwheel functionality that is very useful, but you also get quite a bit of information from it's "My Motorcycle" feature that is part of the GS/Nav-V package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgev4zoXIOk
Another from ASCycles provides more detail.

Here is a link to one of Dan Townsley's review of the unit. He is one of the most highly respected GPS navigation voices in the BMW community.
http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

I've got an RTW so I don't have the "My Motorcycle" feature (thanks a lot BMW), but still feel the benefits of the integration between the bike and the GPS are worth the extra money. I'll be posting my Zumo 390LM w/LT Traffic for sale since using the Nav-V over the past 2,500km. To me, it's a natural fit.

I really like mine. I use mine for all of the info on the bike while riding. Seldom do I use it for the gps. I love having all of the info right there in front of me!

I don't have the Navigator V but the Navigator IV. I have used the way points and it works fairly well. You can do advanced routing like using gravel roads or not. I used it this weekend and did a long road trip with several way points and it worked great, the key is to make sure the way points are exactly where you want them.

The GPS came with the bike (bought it used) but can't image using any other GPS unit. The wheel is really nice to switch between screens while riding. I do wish I had the Navigator V with the larger screen and additional functionally like pairing with your cell phone to display live radar weather on the GPS. I can pair my cell phone with the Navigator IV and get phone number and caller ID on the GPS but not the weather stuff. If you can afford it I would go with the Navigator V.

I hope this helps.

Get the Navigator V!

Besides the handwheel integration, locking cradle, and bike info, one of the best feature's that I have found is the real-time weather radar. It alerts you to any weather watches or warnings in the area. During my last long trip, the rain gear went on 5 minutes before the downpour, and I always knew when it was safe to take it off. My riding companions were very appreciative.

Besides the handwheel integration, locking cradle, and bike info, one of the best feature's that I have found is the real-time weather radar. It alerts you to any weather watches or warnings in the area. During my last long trip, the rain gear went on 5 minutes before the downpour, and I always knew when it was safe to take it off. My riding companions were very appreciative.

You have a smartphone app to enable weather on the Nav V?

Harry

I use the bike info screens a lot when I do not need the map view.
I also zoom in and out on the map more than I did with my old GPS. The wonder wheel makes the zoom feature easy and fast.

Nav.JPG

NavV.JPG

I also zoom in and out on the map more than I did with my old GPS. The wonder wheel makes the zoom feature easy and fast.

Nav.JPG

NavV.JPG

Wish I had access to that data on my NAV IV

Wish I had access to that data on my NAV IV

It's really handy having all that info on one screen, and it only takes one push on the wonder wheel to access it.
It's much easier than scrolling through all the options with the Info button on the bike.
I thought it interesting that sunset was one of the options. You can pick and choose what values to display.

NavV.JPG

You photo shopped it. 72.5 F. Ya like that's real!

( ok I am secretly jealous)!

i haven't done any electronic maps before and i wonder if there might be a better choice than the GPS that's an option with the GS?
Are people that have that one glad they bought it?

I own the Navigator 5 and a Garmin 590 GPS

The Garmin 590 is a better GPS (screen size and quality primarily) but the integration of the Navigator 5 makes it a much better choice!

All the reasons have been itemized by previous posters

I had several Garmin GPSs before getting the Navigator V in later 2013. I bought a new GS Adventure six months ago and the Nav V integration with the bike is well worth the price, in my view. Definitely read the article (link in earlier post) written by Dan Townsley.

There's another good reason to have the Nav-5 on a GS: it can display side by side both range-to-empty as well as distance-to-destination on a route, as well as Current MPG. On a recent trip home, I kept an eye on the difference so that I could ride as fast as possible without running out of fuel before reaching my destination. In the past I could only guess whether my fuel range would remain sufficient. Now I can see the difference at a glance and adjust my speed and thus fuel burn rate as necessary to keep the remaining fuel range greater than the remaining distance. On I-95 at 70-80 MPH, that put the burn rate at around 40 MPG on my 2015 R1200GSA. Obviously I could have stopped for gas, but did this to test the technique. I could also see the effect from varying wind directions. I've also been pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the range-to-empty display.

Perhaps this Navigator-V tip will also be useful to other riders. I wish I had thought of it earlier during my trip to Alaska. Perhaps it can also be used on the other bikes that support the Nav-V.

Don

Back