• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route advice needed....

vectorprime27

We have a group riding from Florida up to Glacier National Park in late August. Last year we rode up to Yellowstone and got some great advice from our fellow riders. I'm reaching out again for some advice. The BMW riders will be riding our bikes up from Florida. We have some HOG riders who are flying in (go figure) to Missoula and renting. So our starting point for all the fun riding is going to be Missoula.

The only "must ride" road we have so far is the "Going to the Sun" road. While us BMW guys don't mind camping, the less hardy souls (aka Harley, Honda, and Victory guys) want to stay at a hotel each night....so our start and finish needs to have some place with a bed for those guys and gals. We already know that there isn't anything available in the Park. Given a 300 - 400 mile radius around Glacier, what places would those who've been here suggest we add to our route? We'll be in the area riding for about 6 days before pointing the front wheel South and East, so all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon....as well as Canada are not out of the question. Just give me the places and roads you think are worthy, and we'll figure out the best route. Thank you in advance!

If you would like to dip your toe into Canada then a short ride into Waterton National Park in Alberta would be a nice treat. The laid back town of Waterton inside the park has camping and hotels (book early) including the iconic Prince of Whales Hotel. Great scenery, some short rides on side roads to nearby lakes with hiking as well as boat tours for those inclined. Route from 'Going to the Sun' to St. Mary then highways 86 -> 17 to Canada Border at Chief Mountain Port of Entry then highways 6 -> 5 to Waterton.

IMG_6468.jpg

IMG_6471.jpg

West of Glacier, there are several motels between Coram and Columbia falls; further away will be cheaper.
South of Glacier on the east side, Augusta (west of Great Falls, on 287) has a couple of decent motels.

If you have the time and gumption - take an extra couple of hours to stop at the Visitor Center at Logan Pass, and take the hike up the trail (well maintained) to the Hidden Lake Overlook. Make sure your cameras have fresh batteries.

Any roads that either parallel or criss-cross the north Rockies will be great!

Route 2 west into and through Washington is a good ride, especially in the Cascades section; no shortage of motels along the way. You could also take the northern Cascades road, route 20 - less populated and more scenic.

Waterton is gorgeous but lots of tourists/RVs/buses/etc...

Heck, you might as well go for the gusto: route 93, the Icefields Parkway, through Lake Louise (crowded & expensive, but you WILL need gas) up to Jasper. Consider that a "MUST". West of Lake Louise in Golden, there are several motels, plus gas & food. West of Jasper in Yalemount, there are also motels, gas, & food.

If y'all decide to go west instead of north -
Washington: Mount Rainier and Mount St. Helens are great rides, also Olympic National Park (mountain viewpoints on the east & north sides, and don't miss the Hoh Visitor center on the west side).
Oregon - the Cascades range, from Mount Hood down to and including Crater Lake, is all great riding.

Last edited:
Yes ,if anybody wants into Canada and back into the USA each person must have a current passport.:wave

When you're 2-3 days out of glacier start checking their website to see if road to the sun is open. I went last year and made it through and then fires had it closed for next 2-3 weeks. If I was doing it again I'd get in the second they open and enjoy a nice ride to the highest point, park the bikes and hike all the trails up there. Later in the morning finding parking is real tough. (I was there late July). Don't underestimate how cool it maybe in the mornings, I headed out a couple of days in high 30's and low 40's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're going to that part of the country from Florida, two bucket list roads that connect you up Cody Wyoming to Red Lodge Montana are the Chief Joseph Highway and the Beartooth Pass. Hotel choices in Red Lodge and check out Bone Daddy's while you're there - especially for the Harley guys in the group.

Oh, and definitely don't miss riding through the Big Horns on 14 and 14a to get to Cody before you head up to Glacier.

I agree with Pitts on Beartooth, it is better than Going to the Sun and much less traffic, Chief Joe hwy is also a great road. I would very much recommend ride from Banff to Jasper and IF you do, that go after the Going to the Sun. The Glacier Hwy, Lake Louise, insane views made the Going to the Sun a real disappointment, at least it did for me. Riding Lolo Pass is nice if you head west. I also like the Sawtooth Mtns and Needles Hwy 87 in SD is a nice ride. On your way to the area if you haven't tried riding in the Ozarks you owe it to yourself, some great roads in that area.

Man, I live in the PNW, if you do one third of these suggestions you'll be Iron But vets. But here's one more. St. Joe river,forget the highway designation. It connects St. Regis Montana with St. Marie's Idaho. The first 10 miles from St. Regis is uphill on a well graded gravel road. No problem even for low slung HD, the rest is amazing.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago I did a 7,100 mile loop out to Black Hills/Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Big Horns, Glacier, Yellowstone, Rockies, Santa Fe and back to the east coast. A lot of bucket list roads on that trip but I'd put near the top of the list, riding through the Black Hills from Custer up to Rushmore. Amazing ride.

We have a group riding from Florida up to Glacier National Park in late August. Last year we rode up to Yellowstone and got some great advice from our fellow riders. I'm reaching out again for some advice. The BMW riders will be riding our bikes up from Florida. We have some HOG riders who are flying in (go figure) to Missoula and renting. So our starting point for all the fun riding is going to be Missoula.

The only "must ride" road we have so far is the "Going to the Sun" road. While us BMW guys don't mind camping, the less hardy souls (aka Harley, Honda, and Victory guys) want to stay at a hotel each night....so our start and finish needs to have some place with a bed for those guys and gals. We already know that there isn't anything available in the Park. Given a 300 - 400 mile radius around Glacier, what places would those who've been here suggest we add to our route? We'll be in the area riding for about 6 days before pointing the front wheel South and East, so all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon....as well as Canada are not out of the question. Just give me the places and roads you think are worthy, and we'll figure out the best route. Thank you in advance!

Just a suggestion. If you stayed in Kalispell, you could make the loop via the Road to the Sun, ( from the west side ), down to St. Mary's and then south on # 89 Hwy to the junction of # 49 Hwy ( Kiawa Pass ) or keep going straight on # 89 Hwy to Browning and then back to Kalispell via # 2 Hwy. The Kiawa Pass goes between # 89 Hwy and comes out a East Glacier. It is paved, but has some rough patches so you have to be vigilante. Breath taking views.

Also if you are staying in Kalispell you can go up to Eureka and then take # 37 Hwy south to the Yak River road, NF 92 ( its all paved ) and comes out at Yak, then 508 Hwy, then # 2 hwy back to Kalispell or go further west and stay at Sandpoint Idaho.

Their are lots of interesting loops that you can make out of Kalispell.

If going to Canada. I can also suggest a loop from Kalispell , Going to the Sun Road, turn north at St Marys and take # 17 Hwy ( Chief Mountain ) that comes out on # 6 Hwy, goes past Waterton National Park on the Canadian side, up through Twin Butte ( good restaurant, closed on Tuesdays ) then up to Pincher Creek, onto # 3 Hwy, through the Crows Nest past and then back into the US via # 93 Hwy and back to Kalispell. # 6 Hwy goes right along the east side of the Rockies and is very pretty.

I'll let you look at the maps and figure out distances etc, but be aware of gas stops as depending on the range of some bikes you will want to plan these in. Have a safe trip. If you want anything further, see me a message and I can get back to you.

Back