Thread: Joshua Tree Area

Joshua Tree Area

Hi Everyone, I am looking at taking a quick trip to Joshua Tree from Lake Tahoe in the next couple weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to camp, routes, side trips and must see along the way?

It's not terribly large, easy to explore the whole area; bring water; fuel & food are close enough (especially to the southwest); lots of camping in the park, nail down your tent securely!; park service will give you the local map (or find it on line also). Watch for snakes and enjoy the stars!

If you are heading down 395, take an hour and stop and tour Manzanar. It is a Japanese interment camp from World War Two located in the Owens Valley. It has a wonderful set of displays and a recreated barracks. The way the Japanese carved out a life in that desert area is amazing. It is located just north of Lone Pine.

Eric Schats bakery in Bishop is a fantastic place to eat. It is right on 395 on your right, heading south, as you get into town.

Conrad

Speaking of 395 (a great ride) and Bishop - that entire area, +/- many miles, is loaded with radar traps and police cruisers looking for tourists who don't pay strict attention to the speed limits. Also, stay away from Bob's Barbeque (west side of the street, south side of town, if it's still there) - your bowels will protest.

Did You make the trip?
    If so, how did it go?
    Was it comfortable to ride then? (heat wise)
    If I had seen this earlier, a stop in Randsburg would have been suggested.
    Its less than a mile off of 395.
    Give it a Google.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers