• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Filter Tool

bogdan

I haven't yet changed the oil on my R1150R 2004. Nor have I done a change on a bike with this type of filter. I figured/was told a filter wrench was necessary. I've eyeballed a K&N wrench and filter combo: http://www.amazon.com/KN-163-BMW-Hi...&keywords=r1150r+oil+filter+wrench+and+filter

This K&N filter has the nut attached which seems like a good idea. I don't know what filter is in the bike now. If it's a standard OEM filter will I need an additional tool, other than the K&N wrench to remove it ? Is it better to stick to the OEM and get a wrench from Bemmer Boneyard, or somewhere ?

I know you've been over this a hundred times but any input appreciated.

One advantage of the OEM filter is that it's hidden out of the way of road debris and that type of hazard. I'm not sure to what degree that nut on the K+N would be exposed. (maybe not at all). I have a BMW filter wrench that I bought years ago for my K1200 which I was pleased to discover exactly fits my R1100S. Money well spent on that tool.

Johnny

The topic of filters has been beat to death, but the majority opinion is that K&N filters are nowhere near as good as the factory item.
Yes a filter wrench is necessary; this is true regardless of which filter you have - it just means that either you can use the wrench you already have or you may need to buy one. Keep in mind that the tool is a "buy it ONCE and it lasts FOREVER."
The BMW filter wrench will accept the 3/8" square drive of your ratchet. Fill the new filter with oil before installing it, to slightly improve the circulation at start-up, and snug it down but Do Not over-tighten it.

Back