Thread: Side Stand Switch

Question Side Stand Switch

2003 1150 RT, Unfortunately had a tip over in my garage today, Got it up, no damage, but now pushing the starter button, nothing happens (no cranking, nothing, feels like a dead switch). New battery, ignition is on, all lights on, ABS spools, fuel pump starts. Does a faulty side stand switch result in this type of symptom? I am going to take the tupperware off tomorrow and check the switch electrically, just wanted to see it there was something else that could cause this or if there are any any other suggestions. It went over as I came off the center stand and I think it was moving forward a bit, so the side stand just folded back up, so it and the switch probably took a pretty good hit. Thanks,

Did you check the RID? Does it display fuel level and gear selection? Is the transmission in Neutral (0) or in gear? Have you tried to start the bike while also pulling in the clutch lever?
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Yes the display is working showing fuel and neutral, yes I tried with clutch in, no change.

You can get access to the switch without removing the tupperware. Remove the seat, and the connector is right at the top of the tupperware next to the frame.

OK, I see it, 2 green wires going in, not sure if I can get it off to test with out taking the side off, will try in the am, thanks

Probably not the sidestand switch. On that bike the engine will still crank if it thinks the stand is down.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Thanks, I thought that was the case, the side stand switch is functioning correctly when checked. My next thought was the switch itself. Any other suggestions? I am missing something obvious?

You need to check the switch somehow. Time to start looking at a wiring diagram. You can check the signal at the starter solenoid by only pulling off one side panel, but to get to the switch connector you'll have to pull the tank. The wiring in those years was a bit undersized and overtied; you could have a broken wire in the switch cable.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Bluenoser
    Something isn't adding up. A tip over shouldn't have anything to do with switches other than a tip over switch. Disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds and see if this clears the issue. Also cycle the kill switch. It wouldn't be the first time that had caused an issue.

Strong believer in the KISS principle. If everything was fine before the bike fell over than it has to be something simple.
    1995 R100Rt with Kenna Sidecar, 1986 K100RT

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow night when I get home. I have the side off already, my fingers could not reach the side stand switch connector. I agree it should be something simple, but you never know, hoping it is. I will let you know. Replies are great - thanks again.

I wasn't clear. I mean the starter switch/button. You need to find out what it does or doesn't do.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube

An easy thing to check is if the Starter Relay was bounced up out of its socket.
    And if not, that socket is a good place to check for +12V when you press the starter button, using the wiring diagram (which you can google).
    --
    Doug Raymond,
    R1150RT '02, R1200GSA '11