• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

96 r1100rs sore elbows - riding position? Also reinforcing the windshield, +cupholder

jimnto

Ok - Rode a few years in my 20s - now in my 50's and took my first trip longer than 10 minutes today. 1 1/2 hours riding about 80 MPH, my elbow joints got sore. I seem to be putting too much weight on them. I t made me want my k75T where I sit more upright. Thoughts? Elbows? How can I get the right ergonomics?
Also, on the return trip I had the bright idea to use my clutch hand to push the windshield up into position and AHHH so much quieter! I am thinking of creating a metal brace to hold the windshield rigidly into position. The adjuster springs are too oose and the air pressure at speed just pushes the windshield down. Has anyone done this? Any words of wisdom on the topic?

Also - I need a damn cup holder on the r100rs. Thoughts? No room to fasten it to the handlebars.

Lastly - any r1100rs riders coming to the rally in canada the weekend of May 29? I want to see and hear some similar bikes as mine

Ok - Rode a few years in my 20s - now in my 50's and took my first trip longer than 10 minutes today. 1 1/2 hours riding about 80 MPH, my elbow joints got sore. I seem to be putting too much weight on them. I t made me want my k75T where I sit more upright. Thoughts? Elbows? How can I get the right ergonomics?
Also, on the return trip I had the bright idea to use my clutch hand to push the windshield up into position and AHHH so much quieter! I am thinking of creating a metal brace to hold the windshield rigidly into position. The adjuster springs are too oose and the air pressure at speed just pushes the windshield down. Has anyone done this? Any words of wisdom on the topic?

Also - I need a damn cup holder on the r100rs. Thoughts? No room to fasten it to the handlebars.

Lastly - any r1100rs riders coming to the rally in canada the weekend of May 29? I want to see and hear some similar bikes as mine

What kind of windshield do you have?

Contact the folks at Aeroflow and ask about the heavy duty rubber bumpers they sell (or sold) for mounting the R11RS shields. They're 1/2x1/2 or 3/4x3/4 hemispherical bumpers with Velcro backing that mount on the fairing and hold the shield in an upright position.

If you want a stock (small) shield PM me.

Have a smal and a big - dedicated to getting the big one more upright

What kind of windshield do you have?
I am not sure but I have two - a small tinted one and a much larger one

If you want a stock (small) shield PM me.
Thank so kindly. When I wa riding on the highway and pushed the big one to a more upright position, I found peace! I am now dedicating my time to getting my windshield to sit more upright.

Thanks for asking

a couple of thoughts

didn't the R1100RS have a knob that tightened to keep the windshield in place?

Have you tried barbacks for the more upright riding position that you are looking for?

Of course, it's been a long time since i have been on an oilhead RS.

Weight on your feet, not your hands

I had Triumph Street Triple that has a fairly aggressive riding posture. I would get numbness in my hands and tired arms till I figured out how to keep weight on my feet. I was doing serious bicycle training at the time so had plenty of strength and endurance in my legs to hold my body up. Once I got that figured out I became more comfortable and my agility in turns improved quite a bit as well. If you're not interested in that I would second the recommendation for barbacks to bring the bars more toward you. This might put your head up into the fast moving air stream over your windshield though.

Core strength. I'm sure you are locking out your elbows and placing most of your weight on your hands. Try letting go of the bars (while stopped!), do you fall forward? Support yourself with your core muscles. Try to have very little weight on your hands no matter what windshield or bars you have.

You may also find it easier to keep the weight off your hands at speed with the windshield in the lowest position.

Btw, I put thousands of miles on my 1100rs with stock windshield, bars and seat.

I ride a 99 R1100S which has a similar riding position, but with lower clipons. I've raised the bars a bit but you still want the air coming off the windshield to hit you in the upper chest area at speed. This takes the weight of your upper body off your hands, arms and the bars.

Learn to bend at the hips and not the lower back. Try to keep your back straight and your arms reasonably straight. Low speed work around the city etc you have all your upper body weight on the handlebars and no matter what you do this is not a good riding position and your hands & arms will get tired. The ergonomics of the RS & the S are really built for riding at speed on the highway.

Last weekend did a 700 mile ride over 2 days and had no body issues when I got home. These types of bikes do require a bit more physical effort on our part and if you have to adjust to this.

This! I am going to fabricate something to keep the shield upright

If I push the adjustable bracket on my r1100rs up, and if I fabricate something to prevent the shield from flexing - my ride is much quieter and more enjoyable. I have a Shoei E1100 - the windnoise is killing me.
Will keep you posted.
IMG_20170726_113308.jpg

R1100RS- Thoughts

I have a '94 R1100RS. Back in the mid/late '90's I ran some different brand larger windshields. Made the run out to the Missoula National. Ran the windshield at full forward position. Riding the bike out west at 70-90 mph pushed the windshield back all the way to fairing stops, unsettled the bike. I also noticed that the windshield pushed and flexed the whole fairing back. So it was obvious that the whole fairing would have to be braced up as well and not just the windshield. I went back to the oem standard windshield in the full tilt back mode. That worked best for me. I also run barbacks. Raised the bars up and back about 1 inch both ways. I added GS oem handguards. Both helped. I usually ride with Areostitch and full modular helmet. Found this to be the best for me. I've noticed that the R1150RS runs a larger windshield. I've given thought to trying that windshield and mounting frame, as another option. One more thing I'm 6'2" tall, to give you a perspective about my riding position.

You need an RT. You are doing everything wrong for comfortably riding an RS. Well, you haven't mentioned bar-backs and foot peg lowering yet but if they're not already on the bike they won't be far behind.

Just get an RT. You'll love it. They are really great bikes. The RS isn't for everyone.

If you want to make the RS really work, drop the windshield and straighten your back so that you are supporting yourself with your hips and there's no weight on your arms. It takes practice.

You need an RT. You are doing everything wrong for comfortably riding an RS. Well, you haven't mentioned bar-backs and foot peg lowering yet but if they're not already on the bike they won't be far behind.

Just get an RT. You'll love it. They are really great bikes. The RS isn't for everyone.

If you want to make the RS really work, drop the windshield and straighten your back so that you are supporting yourself with your hips and there's no weight on your arms. It takes practice.

THIS!!!

See this thread for an example of the riding position:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2737

This is spot on! I noticed it on previous bikes and it is so true.

I started doing some exercises prior to going on two long trips. Bottom line, I was doing 30 pushups and 60 situps along with other things to strengthen my core muscles to do just what this guy was talking about. It worked. There were times when I realized that I was holding my stomach in...not on purpose, but because it felt natural...and that was helping to hold my upper torso in place.

I realized years ago that when you sit totally upright, all the shock from a bump in the road is transferred directly up your spine. Lean forward a bit, and the hips move up and down, but the back doesn't get nearly the jarring.

Chris

Last edited:
Most of the riders I know are one or the other. They are either RT/LT or S/RS riders. Most would'nt be caught dead riding the other. I'm part of a smaller group; which likes the standard bike, with a proper size windshield.

Most of the riders I know are one or the other. They are either RT/LT or S/RS riders. Most would'nt be caught dead riding the other. I'm part of a smaller group; which likes the standard bike, with a proper size windshield.

I agree. With the OP asking about a cupholder, he may not be an S/RS kind of rider. No way could I drink something on the road unless it's in a camelbak. Of course, that's mostly due to full-face helmet. But I suspect the rider may be accustomed to a more straight up bike.

jimnto, I think the first thing to try would be barbax. I put a set on this year and it's made a huge difference in my comfort level, no more tingling fingers and sore wrists. About $100 for a set but well worth it. As for a taller shield I have a Parabellum that's held up very well for 20+ years and keeps most of the wind off of me with no buffeting. Every October the Parabellum goes on, every April it's back to the OEM screen for the summer.

Thank you for this thread. I am a new BMW rider of a 2002 R1150 RS. I am not a six footer and pushing the bars back and up I think would help a bit. Will check out Bobs BMW and the cables (Stainless I hope). The comment on speed and keeping the pressure of the elbows and hands is true. Lower speed mountain riding is much more strenuous on the arms and hands. Most of my riding is in the mountains here. High speed roads are much easier. Suggestions for a new RS rider in the mountains welcome. Love the bike, 150 miles of mountain roads and I need a small rest.

Look at a set of "Euro" bars alongside a set of "US" bars. You will see that there are different points of view on ergonomics. As a set, we Americans like to rear back and "relax". We raise our bars and lower our footpegs and "who has the best highway bars?" Cupholder? Oh my... It should not be wind or palm pressure that holds you in the RS riding posture, but core muscles.

I have adapted to the RS posture, and even though 65 years old, I like it much better than bolt upright, and certainly better than laid back. Having a K-RS, an R-RS and a GS, I get treated to both styles regularly. I rode from Maine to Georgia last year on my R100RS stopping only for gas, food, and two 40 minute rest stops. I did not spend the 1385 miles wishing for either taller bars or for my GS.

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

If you want to study the riding technique, give this a read before ordering the parts to make it a mini-RT...

Last edited:
Look at a set of "Euro" bars alongside a set of "US" bars. You will see that there are different points of view on ergonomics. As a set, we Americans like to rear back and "relax". We raise our bars and lower our footpegs and "who has the best highway bars?" Cupholder? Oh my... It should not be wind or palm pressure that holds you in the RS riding posture, but core muscles.

I have adapted to the RS posture, and even though 65 years old, I like it much better than bolt upright, and certainly better than laid back. Having a K-RS, an R-RS and a GS, I get treated to both styles regularly. I rode from Maine to Georgia last year on my R100RS stopping only for gas, food, and two 40 minute rest stops. I did not spend the 1385 miles wishing for either taller bars or for my GS.

View attachment 65833

View attachment 65832

If you want to study the riding technique, give this a read before ordering the parts to make it a mini-RT...

An inch or two to make the bike fit will not ruin the posture, we are all not six footers. Bike is a dream just a bit of ergonomics, can fit us all. I will change the reach for better long distance. 50 to 100 miles is okay for a ride. Start not being comfotsble sfter that. The reach is wrong for us shorter folks., otherwise I get it. Did Isay I love the Bike.

An inch or two to make the bike fit will not ruin the posture, we are all not six footers. Bike is a dream just a bit of ergonomics, can fit us all. I will change the reach for better long distance. 50 to 100 miles is okay for a ride. Start not being comfotsble sfter that. The reach is wrong for us shorter folks., otherwise I get it. Did Isay I love the Bike.

I agree and was reacting to the OP's comments, not yours. My own R100RS has K11RS bars. Fitting the ergos to the body is not the same thing as changing the basic riding posture. I think when I heard that the cupholder was missing I deduced that an understanding was missing regarding the sport riding posture and that it was somehow wrong. Not wrong, but not for everyone and misunderstood by many. There is a technique to using it that the Europeans generally embrace and we North Americans generally do not.

I don't think that @jimnto will be satisfied with the small changes that you and I are suggesting. I think Anton gave him the best advice.

Back