• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

+6 mph???

and what about IBA people? Do your miles match up between ODO and the IBA route?

where's the emoticon for "can of worms?":wave

If it is a certified ride IBA goes by computed distance - typically Basecamp or Streets and Trips I believe. Yes, the rider provides odo readings but official distances are computer map distances. For the Iron Butt Rally and numerous other LD rallies there is an odometer check where each rider rides a prescribed course to compare to the known distance. This provides a correction factor. But placing in the standings depends on bonus points, not miles anyway.

Here's a question for all you GPS users...

If the route I am travelling includes many steep hills, would that account for a discrepancy between my speedo/odo and a GPS reading of both speed and distance?

Here's a question for all you GPS users...

If the route I am travelling includes many steep hills, would that account for a discrepancy between my speedo/odo and a GPS reading of both speed and distance?

Yes, but so slight as to be insignificant. Variations in tire wear and/or tire inflation would cause just as much variation. Those satelites are a long way away and the GPS computes in three dimensions.

Beemers & Bimmers...

FWIW....my Bimmers (X-1 & X-3) are also exactly +3 on indicated speed, as is "Inga" my RT....my old RS (160K + miles) is dead on!!!!! Go figger....:banghead

I will throw in another value for this algebra solving equation.

Last week i got new rubber installed. Same Michelin GT4's that were on there before. The used ones were 85% used according to the dealer. (i bought the K1600GT used in December).

So, on the used tires there was a 9 km/h difference. When going 120 on the speedo, the GPS read 111 km/h.
On the new tires i now get a 5 km/h difference. When going 120 on the speedo, the GPS reads 115 km/h.

How does that even compute ? There is no way that the difference in tire diameter from new to 85% used could do so much difference.
Is there ?

(i also used a GPS speedo phone app to compare with the NAV iv and both were exactly the same. So Nav not faulty).

I will throw in another value for this algebra solving equation.

Last week i got new rubber installed. Same Michelin GT4's that were on there before. The used ones were 85% used according to the dealer. (i bought the K1600GT used in December).

So, on the used tires there was a 9 km/h difference. When going 120 on the speedo, the GPS read 111 km/h.
On the new tires i now get a 5 km/h difference. When going 120 on the speedo, the GPS reads 115 km/h.

How does that even compute ? There is no way that the difference in tire diameter from new to 85% used could do so much difference.
Is there ?

(i also used a GPS speedo phone app to compare with the NAV iv and both were exactly the same. So Nav not faulty).

Measure the circumference of used inflated tire on the rim and then measure the new inflated tire on the rim. Calculate difference as a percentage. You might be surprised.

Oh yeah! I brought that up to my BMW dealer when the '36,000 mile' warranty expired on my R1200RT before my 3 years were up, which really only had 33,500 miles on it, due to a 7% margin of error, as verified by GPS.

He just shrugged and said "Oh well - can't fight City Hall (in Berlin)."

So...some of those mileage awards are ...??? undeserved?

and what about IBA people? Do your miles match up between ODO and the IBA route?

where's the emoticon for "can of worms?":wave

Sorry for the delay. Have been in Colorado for a week.

As for "...mileage awards deserved...", the effort to accomplish so many miles justifies the recognition, in my mind. To each their own, as to those amateur achievements.

As for any sanctioned Iron Butt award, your route is verified by Map Quest or some other distance template that the IBA people in Chicago trust. That is why, for the certificates that already hang on my den wall, I always finished my rides about 50+ miles over the minimum distance, to account for odometer error.

Motorcycle odometers as well as speedometers are, by design, inherently inaccurate - we deal with it.

Last edited:
Speedometer Error

Of course, what seems to elude BMW and other OEMs is that they could use motorcycle GPS to report speed and the issue of tire size, inflation pressure and so on goes away. Speedometers are "driven" by a cable that usually comes off of the transmission so to the extent the radius of the wheel varies, error is introduced into the speedometer reading. I am sure the day will come where our speedometers will be "drive by wire" as well -- and the issue will go away.

Kent

Been awhile since a BMW speedo was cable driven. Using GPS is an intriguing idea but I suspect there are some issues that make it somewhat impractical. Cost is one and lack of reception in some places is another. One would lose reception in tunnels and possibly in deep gorges and mountainous areas.

Back