Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: +6 mph???

Question +6 mph???

It's probably been answered before, but just passing thru a construction zone with the lighted sign that tells "Your Speed" and of course my R11RT is 6MPH optimistic. My '82 R100 was exactly the same. I've found the same to be true when I ride with GPS; it's always +6

Why!!?? Why? Why? Why 6? Why not 2?....Why not right on????
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

So, if the work zone is rated at 30 mph, your speedo reads 36 mph? If the zone is rated at 45 mph, your speedo reads 51 mph?

For the Airheads, a service bulletin was released that indicated what the max permissible error was. That error could be no greater than your actual speed times 10% plus 2.4 mph. So, 55 mph actual speed would be displayed somewhere between 55 and 62.9 mph...that difference could be as high as 7.9 mph. So, the amount off wasn't a fix number but would depend on the actual speed.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

We did a whole thread on this a couple of months ago. It was informative. Bottom line, the speedos are up to 10% higher than actual speed by design.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Rather typical, just have to get used to it.
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....edometer+error
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

1992 K1100 is almost 10 mph off.... when I look at it. I tend to use GPS speed if I need a precise reading. Guess I've just accepted this and really don't think about it any more. (my old /5 gives no reading at all and doesn't have a gps. Lot of 'guessing' going on there) - Bob
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Interesting. I recently set a personal best on my RT. And the speedo reading was 6 MPH higher than what the Nav 5 recorded as the max.

Cool Oh, I have...

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Rather typical, just have to get used to it.
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....edometer+error
    OM
    I'm used to it, but just curious. Seems like it's mandated by EU gov't agencies, and I suppose it makes sense...in a certain nonsensical way
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Not sure if it's just EU, but the OEM didn't want any reason for an owner to sue them for getting a ticket if the speedometer was inaccurate the "other" direction.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    Then I would be slower and no longer the "Ultimate"..............
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    We did a whole thread on this a couple of months ago. It was informative. Bottom line, the speedos are up to 10% higher than actual speed by design.
    This is to save our ignorant asses from ourselves. On the Interstates, I tend to run my Airheads just as fast as they will go. The actual values are meaningless. I tend to run in the range where" arrest driver-impound vehicle " is the rule.
    1973 R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    This is to save our ignorant asses from ourselves. On the Interstates, I tend to run my Airheads just as fast as they will go. The actual values are meaningless. I tend to run in the range where" arrest driver-impound vehicle " is the rule.
    My train of thought went there too but then tended to gravitate more towards the more likely corporate scenario of running through warranty mileage quicker potentially saving the company billions in warranty claims over a given period of time.

Personally, I'm an accuracy guy. I don't feel there is any excuse for an engineering leader not to be able to incorporate accurate GPS speed in to the bike's cockpit instrumentation. The engineers already figured out how to pull accurate GPS time and update the bikes clock.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Left Coast Rider
    1. Was there not a time during the Carter administration where 85 mph speedometers were required? I believe that same law dictated a certain degree of accuracy which was less than 5% off.

2. The speedo on my R1100S , is almost dead accurate. The odometer is 5% low.

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    True

It's also why some folks think every other yoyo on the road is speeding by their BMDubya

The LEO's are thinking we are being speed cautious and responsible doing 50 in a 55.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Grampa Tumbleweed

Speedo Error

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    It's probably been answered before, but just passing thru a construction zone with the lighted sign that tells "Your Speed" and of course my R11RT is 6MPH optimistic. My '82 R100 was exactly the same. I've found the same to be true when I ride with GPS; it's always +6

Good news, at least some of the newer ones are more accurate. My 2010 RT is only +3 at freeway speeds.