• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Schubert C3Pro and Sena 10U?

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
this is a suggestion from Sena,

I would look at the 10U for Schuberth C3 and C3Pro. The headset is designed to fit inside the helmet with no module on the outside of the helmet. The headset is controlled by a Remote Control that mounts on the left grip, which is included in the box. Here is our link for all of the details. http://www.sena.com/product/10u/

Anybody have one of these with their Schubert C3Pro, and if so, how do you rate it? Like it?

Neil

this is a suggestion from Sena,

I would look at the 10U for Schuberth C3 and C3Pro. The headset is designed to fit inside the helmet with no module on the outside of the helmet. The headset is controlled by a Remote Control that mounts on the left grip, which is included in the box. Here is our link for all of the details. http://www.sena.com/product/10u/

Anybody have one of these with their Schubert C3Pro, and if so, how do you rate it? Like it?

Neil

111 views so far.

So judging by the plethora of responses, a popular Sena product then.

Looks like the 10U has been available for just under a year. I would have considered it if it was available when I bought my SMH10. I like the way it fits inside the helmet instead of hanging off the side.

There is a fairly long 10U thread over on advrider. Apparently the 10U can not fit in the neck curve of the small Schuberth shell sizes.

Some initial issues seem to have been corrected with firmware updates. For instance, some Garmin units would not maintain pairing, until Sena added a second A2DP capability. Adding features with updates is something Sena is good at - it's really rare that a company improves a product after the sale.

I have mixed feelings about the handlebar grip remote. I can see a use for it - keeping your hand on or close to the handle bar is a plus. Turning on a second device each time you get on the bike and keeping it charged are negatives. I can also imagine it causing interference with reaching the bar switches. I downloaded the manual and it looks like the 10U can be operated without the remote, so that is another option, though it means learning another set of button presses.

I have the 10U in my Shoei NeoTec and like the simplicity of design.
IMHO, the remote is useless except for anything that the joy stick controls, volume etc. If you have to use a button feature, you might as well be stopped in a parking lot with your gloves off.
The sound quality meets my expectations and its easy to install.
Just a heads up; SENA have been having problems with battery life and are replacing units with almost no questions asked....problem is they are on back order for over a month and I'm still waiting for my replacement.

I have the 10U in my Shoei NeoTec and like the simplicity of design.
IMHO, the remote is useless except for anything that the joy stick controls, volume etc. If you have to use a button feature, you might as well be stopped in a parking lot with your gloves off.
The sound quality meets my expectations and its easy to install.
Just a heads up; SENA have been having problems with battery life and are replacing units with almost no questions asked....problem is they are on back order for over a month and I'm still waiting for my replacement.

Sorry to hear about your back order and need of replacement, I suppose I'll get to that hurdle when it comes though.

As far as using the buttons on the remote, I use a bluetooth system on my cellphone which allows me to give my phone voice commands for navigation, changing music albums, starting Pandora, and Google searching locations for stops. This is all done with a Samsung NOTE 4 on a regular basis but must say I do prefer the voice commands with the iPhone products better. Also, the buttons allow you to answer phone calls or use the speed dial function if you need to make a call on the road while riding. It has worked great for me personally.

I looked into it, but I don't have tubular handlebars, and cannot mount the remote. That was a deal breaker, as was the inability to charge while riding. To each his own.

I have had a Sena 10U mounted in a Schuberth C3 Pro (size L) for a couple of months. I previously used the first version of the SRC system for a few years. I changed to the Sena so that I could intercom with a friend on a long trip. He had previously installed a 10U in a Shoei Neotec. The initial installation is not hard, it is just tricky getting all the tabs lined up with all the snaps and then forcing the (now thicker) parts together. One disadvantage of the installation in a size large helmet is that unlike the SRC the Sena is only made in one size. In the C3 Pro the large helmet uses the small shell so the unit ends up very close to your neck. In my case it just lightly touches my neck. If the helmet was bigger (XL) or my neck and head were smaller there would be more room. If you wear a size L C3 you might have fit issues with this unit.
Initially the unit shipped with Firmware V1.0 and my friend had updated his to V1.2. Sena had improved the noise reduction and the audio quality with the firmware upgrades but if you mix old and new firmware devices it appears that the improvements are not used. Both units should be on the same (latest) firmware. Once I got the firmware updated (not the easiest thing to do on the road as you need to download software to a computer (Mac or PC) in order to do a firmware update). The great guys at Cycle Specialties in Modesto did it for me while I was there during our trip. After the firmware update the audio quality improvement was dramatic and the transmitted wind noise (from the other helmet) was gone.
Some interesting little glitches still cause some problems.
It is possible to do something on one unit (or maybe a combination of things on both) that will lock up both units. Lock up means they will not function, not even turn off. The only way out is to push the hardware reset button (Sena calls the the "Fault Reset"). This happened three times in four days. Not sure what causes this issue although some believe it is the VOX. I have shut that feature off and have not had that problem again (although we have only ridden one day using the intercom since making that change).
My unit has developed the annoying habit of disconnecting the remote. You may have ridden for an hour when the headset will announce "Remote disconnected". Pressing a button on the remote will reconnect and the headset will announce "Remote Connected" this will be followed immediately by "Remote Disconnected". You can go through this process a random number of times until finally the unit stays connected. It then may stay connected for another hour, or 10 minutes or ... While it is possible to use the unit without the remote (every action on the remote has a corresponding button press sequence on the unit) in reality it is not very usable. In order to use the buttons in the helmet you must open the visor and also raise the sun visor in order to reach the controls. For example to open an intercom conversation you need to press and hold the down volume button for 1, 2 or 3 seconds depending on which of three possible connections desired. I have gone through a very long and painful process with Sena's tech support (If you must use them, use the phone, not the online system) and it is clear that they have no inside knowledge of how the system works. They are willing to exchange the remote but indicate that it may take a month for the process to complete. You must send the unit to them and they must receive it before they will replace (or possibly repair). There appears to be no method of getting a replacement ahead of time and you are responsible for shipping cost (at least one way).
The handlebar remote has a very strong spring so it is never going to "fall off" but if someone tries to steal it you may get sued when the unit snaps shut on their fingers. On a newer BMW with the new style controls (trigger headlight dimmer switch and wonder wheel) the unit blocks the use of the dimmer and makes the reach to the turn signals quite a stretch. It also does not leave enough room on the grip for you hand. After trying a few different locations I finally settled on the left mirror stalk at the base of the mirror.
My experience with battery life has been pretty positive. My SRC could go about 8 - 10 hours listening to music and then would require about a 3-5 hour charge. On the last trip I took I rode for 12 hours (music, no intercom) then it sat for two days without charging and then ran another six hours before I got the low battery warning. Initially I got 10 hours using the intercom but after that it was never dead after a 10 hour day. Charge time seems to be about half of the SRC.
The remote lasts more than a month between charges.
There is a phone app (both Android and IOS) that allows you to check (and set) some of the settings. It allows you to look at what intercoms are paired but does not give a list of other pairings. You can delete an intercom pairing but not a phone or GPS. To delete a phone or GPS you must delete all pairings and start over.
Intercom connection: Still experimenting with making this work flawlessly. Major problem seems to be getting both units capable of initiating a connection. After initial pairing it seems that one unit or the other can initiate the connection but not both. Still trying to sort that issue.
If Sena puts the software effort in to finding and fixing all the firmware glitches (hopefully there are no hardware glitches) and the unit improves as much as it did from V1.0 to V1.2 it will be a great unit. Otherwise it is functional but not flawless. Right now it does most of the things in the feature list most of the time.

Last edited:
new to group having just traded in an Indian Chieftain for a 1200 GS. I had the Schuberth SRC and hated it. Traded out for the 10u probably 6 months or so. like all bluetooth devices, it can be finicky, but less so that the SRC was. Also, it is so nice not having the crazy boom mike in the helmet and those terrible buttons. i could never find them with gloves on at all. the remote is great and i have had zero trouble with that portion. fantastically easy to turn on/off radio, change volume, answer calls, and advance songs

Back