• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 K1200GT oil filter

gonzo1066

I am going to give the new bike a oil change, what suggestions out there for a good quality engine oil filter. Do I use only BMW filters? Or can I get one at NAPA without fear?

Year says you're in the wrong place. Its got a wedge motor.

Any decent filter that is a cross match to the part number will work fine but IIRC the bike uses a very short filter that isn't likely to be found at a car parts place (unlike filters for boxer motors).

Be aware there are extra steps changing oil on a wedge motor- it not just drain and fill. READ THE SHOP MANUAL (RepROM disc). Aside from (annoying compared an R model) removal of panels you also need to drain and refill oil tank, not just the motor. See the thread by Semper Fi for the K1300 in the DIY for wedge bikes. He uses a vacuum extractor on the tank though slow gravity drain is possible.

To worry about a couple extra $ for a filter on a bike that is a nuisance to do an oil change is nuts IMO.

I just finished changing the oil on my 2007 K1200R Sport this weekend. There are four places to spill oil on this bike and I hit them all :)

Some notes from my oil change.
1 I used MAHLE oil filter from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/MAHLE-Origina...automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=motorcycle
2 I used the gravity drain and it went faster than I expected. It is important to note I was distracted by cleaning up one of my oil spills.
3 There was a lot more oil in the engine than I expected. I made a mess with that as well.
4 I find it very rewarding to do these simple maintenance items on my motorcycles in spite of the mess and my awkwardness.

Here is the doc I referenced for my oil change, https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4SnetKIc8_TT2l6UTM2T2VOaWM

m@

I agree on your oil change, I prefer to do most of my own service. The oil change went very well for me (thanks U Tube) just two small spills. I am amazed at how much better the clutch works with fresh oil.

Back