• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Limitations of Nav V? Or Noob in the Fog?

boltgunner

I just completed my first bit of backcountry riding and had a question.

I was riding on unpaved county roads between Dell City Texas and Piñon New Mexico and using my Nav V to find my way.

I had some issues finding these roads on the V without zooming in so close to see them that I couldn't see the big picture. I could not just load the towns and it would do the rest. I ended up loading Lat/Lon for Piñon, Weed, and Cloudcroft and then the county roads became highlighted.

There appears to be quite a number of these county roads winding all throughout southern New Mexico that would be great fun to prowl on, but they don't go anywhere in particular (no town-to-town), so loading latitude and longitude isn't is helpful there, so I'm wondering how anyone else navigates these areas and what are the best practices for doing that.

Thank you for your advice and counsel.

You may need to up the detail up and zoom in some vs being zoomed out

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Why I use paper maps alongside a GPS. The map is my outline, the GPS lets me know where at the moment I am. And yes, on smaller roads, you have to zoom in very tight to see a road unless a destination has been selected.

Having had various GPS units unexpectedly fail,I don't try to nav without a paper map.
I will search for the town on the GPS, if not there, move to next town on the map until it finds one. Have been down that valley near Weed,NM a few times. Nice ride...except the time the road near Pinon was damaged and closed.

Where do you get paper topo maps?

You can print them from a google maps page of the mag area you need. Even the greatest consumer of topo maps in the world, the army, has gone digital. When the need for paper maps rears its ugly head we will print from falcon view, but google maps and apple maps work too.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post, but I find the challenge not the GPS unit but the maps. Maps provided by Garmin do not have the gravel roads or detail I need when going off-road. Often times the gravel road on the GPS map just ends when I know it goes farther whether I zoom in or out. So I am forced to use my cell phone and an app like Avenza PDF Maps. Prior to my off-road trip, I then go to the USGS Online Store and download 7.5 or 15 minute topo maps of the area I am interested in for free. (I prefer the 15 minute maps because of the larger area covered.)

When I am riding I do not mount my phone on my bike, rather I keep it in my tank bag. Then when I hit an intersection, or interesting spot, I pull the phone out, turn it on, and the app shows me where I am at. I prefer to pay attention to the trail or road more than the device. You can set up Avenza PDF Maps to record your route too. I'll place "push pin" markers on the digital map to intersections or spots I want to travel to.

You will find that cell phone map apps have almost a religious or cult like following by users. Each claiming theirs is the best. There are many other apps you can use, such as Locus, Trimble, etc. I've used many in the field. I learned about Avenza when I was employed as a forester (now retired). I prefer Avenza PDF Maps because the reliability and the features the app has - geo-photo referencing, notes, measuring tools, etc. Avenza PDF Maps is available for either iOS or Android.

I am a bit confused - my run from Dell City to Cloudcroft was without a cel signal. I have to assume my 6+ is a paperweight, but, am I wrong? Apps work with the GPS without a signal? I am pegging the noob-o-meter here...

I promise, you have zero cel signal in a big chunk of W TX and S NM. I think I am gonna find good colored topos and dust off my old BSA compass.

Where do you get paper topo maps?
US Geological Service for the US and Natural Resources Canada for Canada.

Don't know about now, but I used to also be able to get them from other government offices in both countries back in the 70's.

Last edited:
"I then go to the USGS Online Store and download 7.5 or 15 minute topo maps of the area I am interested in for free. (I prefer the 15 minute maps because of the larger area covered.)"

I went to the USGS site, and I had a hard time sifting through the steps to get to wherever the 7.5 and 15 minute maps are. If any of you could please walk me through, I sure would appreciate it.

I, too, as a kid, would venture into a surveyor's supply store in the sixties with my dad, and dad would buy a paper map. I miss that. That paper was bulletproof. So, I hope you understand I am dating myself!

Thank you!

Back