• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Raise the seat???

sgoyette

Hey all,

I have a 2015 F800gs Adventure and a torn Medial Meniscus (*sigh*). The way it is right now I can only ride it for about 40 minutes before the pain in my knee gets almost un-bearable. Was talking to my Dr. and she suggested I try a different style of bike (cruiser). I'm not very interested in cruisers but she got me thinking....what if I raised the seat and lowered the foot pegs so that my knee are less bent. I managed to find lowered pegs from Knight Designs (http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Produ...Foot-Pegs.html) and they help. Now I need to find some way to get my seat higher.

My question (I got there eventually):
Other than the Touratech comfort seat which has a high seat option that raises from stock 0.8 inches are there any other options? If the flat F800gs stock seat would fit I would gladly use it but apparently it won't fit on the gsa. Any ideas?

Steve
(A.K.A. Mr. Owie knee according to my wife)

I bet highway pegs mounted on engine crash guards would alleviate your problem.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I bet highway pegs mounted on engine crash guards would alleviate your problem.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

They do. I've done that and can attest to the viability of using them to relax my left knee. I finally did have surgery to repair it, but some old highway pegs from a past cruiser were just the right accessory to help me get from the Big Horn mountains back to St. Louie last year after a mishap on the Continental Divide trail... Good Luck!

Steve - I was hit by a truck when crossing a street in 2006 and had a meniscus tear. I hobbled around for a couple of months (didn't ride then), then had arthroscopic surgery and the Doc fixed the meniscus. It was not a big deal surgery wise. I had a hip replaced five years later, and that was a bigger deal and was keeping me off the bike a lot. Three months after the hip replacement, I rode 8K miles round trip to CA from MA.

The meniscus repair was day surgery. No overnight. General anesthesia. Felt fine.

Back