• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 f800st

manofsteel1

Thinking of trading my 2002 R1150RT in for this 2008 F800St. What can anyone tell me bout it? Is it as comfortable as my other bike for long rides and twisties?It's not unususal for me to ride 400-600 miles a day. Thnks

I owned a 2010 F800ST until I traded it for my '15 R1200RT. It's a great one-person bike, a bit "sporty" for extended touring, and the panniers are small. Yes, the panniers do expand, but then the appearance is 'way off. I also had the small (28L) topbox with mine (which I moved to my RT).

I found the ST put a fair amount of weight on my wrists. I also swapped out the windscreen after riding from OK to AL one cold November day, when the temps did not get above 32 degF for the first 200 miles! The sport (standard) screen put the air flow right at mid-chest (I'm 5'8"). the Cal-Sci touring screen put the air over my helmet, and did wonders for helping me keep warm and a lot dryer.

I added a Powerlet so that I could use my heated gear. Be aware that the alternator doesn't put out the most watts, so don't overload it. I could see the lights dim everytime that Heattroller cycled. Still, I never ran a battery down while riding, so use at your own risk.

I thought the 80hp was more than adequate for me. I enjoyed the bike -- mostly -- and took several trips on it out to check on my property in OK and made one business trip out to Las Vegas (from Birmingham) with a stopover for a few days in Taos, where I enjoyed riding it a bunch (I've got to get back out there -- but there is just so much country I haven't seen yet).

I traded mine for an RT as my wife was once again signaling that she wanted to ride with me again, after a 5-year layoff, and the ST just didn't have enough room for these two people to comfortably ride. The RT wins this contest hands down! For a single person, if I had both bikes in the garage, I'd take the ST for solo trips and commuting, and the RT for longer trips. Since trading the ST, I now use my Triumph Bonneville for some of the trips I'd take on the ST, but take the RT on all longer trips, with or without my wife.

YMMV

Both bikes I like.

How many miles on the bike? What after market extras too? Take the VIN# to a dealer to check for all the warranty work done on it.
The main one is the rear wheel flange/bearings. At about 36K the drive belt should be replaced. I agree with the statement above. Riders like myself change the following items 1[ windshield, 2[ seat, 3[ bar backs or handlebars and 4[ lower the footpegs. I chose Givi bags too because they are larger and look better than the factory bags.
I went from a 1150R to the F800ST both are different. :wave:wave

more comfortable than an R1150RT on long rides? On the straights, probably not - in the twisties, should be less tiring with a lighter bike, but with the more aggressive riding position... In a more apples to apples sense, would you prefer your R1150RT or a R1150RS? If you'd like the RS, think of the F800ST as a light weight RS.

Back