• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

leak from engine block weep hole

rockster80

Hello, I rode my 2015 R1200GSW today for 50km and noticed a dried green residue on the engine block after stopping and parking with side stand.

Any thoughts on what this liquid is and should I be concerned? Thanks.

Andy

IMG_0583.jpgIMG_0584.jpg

That's simply engine coolant weeping out the "weep" hole. It's pretty common. That said, you should always keep an eye on the coolant level by checking it in the coolant expansion tank (there's a Max and Min line). How many miles on your bike? Have you ever checked the coolant level (your manual will explain how)?

I have 3000 km on the bike and was just in to the dealer for the spring oil and filter. I will keep an eye on the coolant level. I suspected it was coolant but was surprised that it would leak out from the side of the engine block.

I recently returned from a 2600-mile trip on my RT (same engine as your GSW). I had much more of the green stuff coming out of the weep-hole at the 1200-mile point. I showed it to the service techs at Eurosport BMW in Asheville, NC. They told me that a little (more than you had) is normal. They said I should regard it as a problem if enough came out to collect on the ground, with the bike either on the side-stand or center-stand. I tried to check the level after I RTFM but I think it's not an easy thing for an old arthritic guy (me) to do. Anyway, I just checked it again, and nothing more has appeared post-cleaning. I don't think it's a big deal, but deserves checking.

I have 3000 km on the bike and was just in to the dealer for the spring oil and filter. I will keep an eye on the coolant level. I suspected it was coolant but was surprised that it would leak out from the side of the engine block.

Better there than inside your engine (and that's why that weep hole is there). Some owners report weeping that goes away after several thousand miles/kilometres. Some have had enough weeping to warrant replacement of their water pump. The important thing is whether your losing any significant amount of coolant, hence the need to keep an eye on the level in the overflow tank.

Reviving an old thread here... I too recently started having the weep issue on my 2016 R1200GSW Adventure at about 2500 miles. Following the comments on here, I opted to clean and monitor. It was good for about another 500 miles, and after riding 1000 miles this weekend in the "hot southern furnace" in my area, it's doing it again (I now have nearly 4000 miles on the clock). I wrote to the dealer, BMW of Jacksonville, and explained the issue and sent a few pics. I figured it was no more than about a teaspoon of fluid in both times it happened, there was no puddling on the floor, etc. so I figured they'd tell me the same thing... monitor it. They responded back, advising that I bring the water pump in for replacement. They said that if it's still leaking after 4000 miles, it isn't going to get better, only worse. I HATE the idea of having the engine torn into on my brand new bike, but I since it's under warranty, I don't want to ignore their recommendations either.

Myke - Looking at the MAX Parts Fiche it seems that the water pump is not buried in the engine, but is at the front under the big plate there. Maybe it's not such a chore for the tech and won't require tearing anything else apart. I dunno, though.

Please report back on your experience. Mine stopped weeping about the 8,000-mile point, but as with you, never created a puddle on the garage floor.

BTW, I like your signature a lot!

I've had the water pump replaced twice for this and once had to buy coolant when the light on right before hitting the Cherohala Skyway. (It turned out I needed about 2 ounces of that gallon). Anyhow, it eventually stopped.

Thanks guys. According to the Service Manager there, he said it would take 1.5 hours or so. That's a relief it's not buried in the block somewhere! I have an appointment a week from this Saturday, I'll bring it on a trailer (nooooo!!!!) so it's cold when the get it. I would have been OK with a "watch it and see" response.

Mike

Mine is doing the same thing

This is my 2015 R1200GS. I have had it 6 months, and it has 5800 mi on it. The coolant overflow reservoir is a few millimeters low. I have never seen any puddles underneath the bike.

I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I was planning to take it in in a few weeks for its 6k service anyway. I was going to buy some coolant at that time, as I don't have anything to top it off with.

Ken

2015 R1200GS coolant weep hole.jpg

Ken - Good photo. Looks as if you've lost a little coolant. Based on what the techs in Asheville told me, you might want to clean that off (now that you have a photo of its present state) and keep on riding. See if any more weeping occurs, and show the photo to the techs at the 6K service, I'd say.

Back