• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS Rookie

devo

Hey, I'm thinking of investing in a GPS unit for my 650. I've been pointed toward a Garmin Gps III+, even though they aren't made anymore. I'm a teacher, so my resources are limited. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

devo said:
Hey, I'm thinking of investing in a GPS unit for my 650. I've been pointed toward a Garmin Gps III+, even though they aren't made anymore. I'm a teacher, so my resources are limited. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

The Garmin 2610 are fairly inexpensive now, and very reliable too. Color touch screen and uses memory cards, no external antenna. Requires bike power or you can get a battery pack if you want to use it off the bike, has interface for a PC if you wish, and all around I like mine. I have the BMW version but essentially it is a 2610. If you plan on off-road stuff look at the Touratech GPS mounts that have the extra cushion to avoid shaking it to pieces, although if you ride only on the road a regular mount will be fine. The last time I looked Touratech were one of the cheapest places too.

You'll love having a GPS when you travel distance on your bike and you'll get the hang of it quickly

I would recommend GPS City for best prices, selection, and support. Check them out and compare. Remember to compare apples to apples. Often parts of the system are sold seperatly such at the map software, a memory card, or car kits. Typically you'll find everything you need priced as a bundle.

devo said:

Staying on the low cost requirement, you might also consider the Garmin GPS V. Like the GPSIII, it is a "previous" model but in addition to the GPSIII offering; has automatically calculated turn-by-turn route or manual point-to-point routing, a larger internal memory for downloading detailed maps, more trakback points, a better screen & WAAS capability.

The GPS V does not provide audible routing commands but IMO it is a great GPS as an entry unit.

I've replaced mine with a GPS 276C but my GPS V lives on a friend's bike and he's happy with it.

You're probably looking for "used" but for new, in addition to GPS City, TVNAV is a great source of GPS product.

ps: you'll get more responses if you post this question in the "GEAR" forum

Last edited:
I have been very happy with my gps V. It doesnt have the memory of some of the newer units, but it does a great job. It does beep when turns approach, but you have to actually look at the screen to see what the message is, not a big deal.

I put my vote on the 2610.

Great autorouting, cheap CompactFlash memory, USB interface, and a good display.

Not so keen about the touchscreen, but a tethered stylus is a easy fix.

The prices keep dropping........ :nod

Nothing wrong with a StreetPilot III. It does the job. Sure, the newer ones may have more features but I've used my SPIII in many situations (24 hr endurance rally, CA to IA on various backroads, routing in dense Orange County where I was unfamiliar) and it hasn't let me down. Just make sure you have the latest City Navigator maps.

Quest

devo, i use the Quest,(not the Quest2) which can be had fairly inexpensive these days. here i have it mounted on my previous bike (2003 F650GS). it's on a simple ram-mount with no wires connected as it'll go all day on a charge/with the backlight turned off. u don't need to run the backlight on these units as the screen contrast is very good.

1762234DCP1732.JPG

Back