• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

High quality small air compressor wanted for garage, power supplied via outlets.

ultracyclist

I would like to be able to inflate motorcycle tires, car tires, and my bicycle tires (80psi).

I currently have a Harbor Freight model that is one step below the usefulness of a geranium planter. In theory the unit is supposed to hit 90psi, and it is failing miserably.

Your thoughts?

TIA,
Howard

I would like to be able to inflate motorcycle tires, car tires, and my bicycle tires (80psi).

I currently have a Harbor Freight model that is one step below the usefulness of a geranium planter. In theory the unit is supposed to hit 90psi, and it is failing miserably.

Your thoughts?

TIA,
Howard

I have the $39 HF pancake compressor. Works for car and smaller tires and is pretty handy for all my nailer/stapler needs. If you want more capacitance, plumb-in a storage tank.

The PC/Bostitch/Hitatchi pancake unit is often on sale for $99 at the holidays or just buy a recon unit.

I have a DeVilbiss Charge Air Pro "hotdog" air compressor that I bought at Lowe's. It works very well. I've had it for 15 years or more. With the hotdog tank, you can unplug the unit and easily move it for those times you can't quite reach the fourth tire on your car in your driveway.

Harry

The problem is that the big stores only sell low quality units at cheap prices. So you have to replace them every few years. My Home Depot 5 gallon unit called it quits a couple of years ago, and I ended up buying a 20 gallon stand up unit from Costco, for $300. So far I've been lucky and it's still working.

I assume you can get professional grade units from specialty suppliers for more money. That might be the best way to go, as then you don't have the inconvenience of disposing of it.

My brother gave me his then already 10 year old Craftsman 20ish gallon when he went way bigger ...it went another 10 years before giving up and it was used a lot.I bought another larger Craftsman on sale, does what I need it to do.

Have had a pancake last 5 years, another 1. Both used in salt air environment , both higher end brands at the time.

Your thoughts?

TIA,
Howard
Hey Howard, how is the TW treating you? :wave
If you are talking about the normal 110V household outlets the Emglo framing compressor can be used for all sorts of things-

61%2BJ44iOTNL._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Emglo-4-Gallon-Heavy-Duty-Oil-Lube-Compressor/dp/B00545YC1O

The Rol-Air version is pretty good as well. If you look close, they all seem to use the same heads :scratch even the Dewalt version.

The compressor on this type of unit is a bit sensitive to starting (compressor) in cold weather but can be made better with synthetic oil. Speaking of oil, I would stay with a compressor that needs oil, but that's just me. I have one of the Eagle's and as I also have a Kellogg-American, circa 1952/dual stage, it's easy to adapt all the fittings up or down as needed.
I run 3/8" hose and fittings for the big tools and the more common 1/4" "framing gun" style for the smaller tools. If it's just tires, blow-gun and utility, 1/4" is fine.

Just got a seat pad for the TW :dance
Gary

Another Craftsman "hotdog" type user here. 10 years and counting
The older ones seem to "last" better than the "new" ones. A friend of mine was having trouble with the air system on his motorhome so we plumbed in one of the small craftsman units. Purchased when on sale, the unit(s) did what they are or were supposed to do but the longevity was shorter than I would have expected. As each unit fails, he orders parts and gets it running again. He has mucho patience :)
OM

After a Harbor Freight pancake pooped the bed, I went with a Hitachi EC99s. I did a decent amount of research on the sub-$200 range and this seemed better than most.

I have used both a Small Emglo and a cheap Sears compressor in my bike shed. The Sears unit only cost about $110 and I thought it would be quiet as it was a oil lubricated piston pump. It was incredibly noisy and vibrated so much I had to chase it across the floor whenever it ran. The Emglo is also a small piston pump and it's generally satisfactory although it does't like the cold. If I had to replace it, I'd go with the Rolair since they are really quiet.

Good ideas thus far

I am leaning towards a Sears.

@Omega Man: good to hear from you! I love TW200.
Got a link for the seat pad? Ilooking at another motorcycle this week. Best, H

Ultracyclist: Read the reviews. A Sears hardware store is near my house and a Craftsman was my first choice. They had more than their share of bad reviews though.

Cheap compressors frustrate me. Watch the local paper for garage sales or check craigslist. A few years ago I bought an older little used 20 gal 2 cylinder craftsman compressor, for $90. Pumps up fast, and best holds air for months, so you can use it for several tires without plugging it back in.

Also gave $100 for a newer, used, DeWalt construction compressor. About the size and weight of a full BMW Vario saddle bag. Came with 100 ft of home and 2 DeWalt finish nail guns and a bunch of other stuff. Those are made for construction and will run all day, also pumps up quick.

Back