Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1994 R1100RS final drive pivot bearing replacement

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Please keep us posted on your experience with those.
    Got a set of Ei's delivered Friday. Look pretty good Installed them earlier, but haven't torqued the adjustable pin yet as the dinner hour was close and called it a day

P1020334.jpg

P1020336.jpg

And for those who have been lucky with long lived OEM's , great...Even on bikes that have never been serviced, seems I have needle bearings falling out and cages worn, especially on GS's.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Got a set of Ei's delivered Friday. Look pretty good Installed them earlier, but haven't torqued the adjustable pin yet as the dinner hour was close and called it a day

P1020334.jpg

P1020336.jpg

And for those who have been lucky with long lived OEM's , great...Even on bikes that have never been serviced, seems I have needle bearings falling out and cages worn, especially on GS's.
    Cool, did they come with instructions for install/torque/lube type&interval?
    Any chance of posting?
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Cool, did they come with instructions for install/torque/lube type&interval?
    Any chance of posting?
    They did not. Part of the reason I stopped until I talk to Ted. I spent a few minutes with him on the phone the other day, but didn't ask a lot, assuming the kit would include some info.
    The race cups popped in real easy after I set them in the freezer and heated the housing a bit. I fiddled with the adjustable pin loading a bit while wiggling the FD, but wanted to be sure of torque settings before I locked it down since the pin can bottom out in that race cup.

Will follow up Tuesday, he may be in the shop on Monday, seems I have reached him on Mondays before.
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

The answer I got, which I pretty much figured out just looking at the design, is to take slack out and tighten down.

Since they are not needle bearings in a tapered cage, the chance of over torquing is not the same concern.
    Any typical bearing grease also fine. I will shoot some every 12K service and see how things go.
    Steve Henson

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    The answer I got, which I pretty much figured out just looking at the design, is to take slack out and tighten down.

Since they are not needle bearings in a tapered cage, the chance of over torquing is not the same concern.
    Any typical bearing grease also fine. I will shoot some every 12K service and see how things go.
    Keep us posted please!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Phone Ted Porter at The Beemer Shop --- get the Emerald Isle Paralever Pivot bearings/bushings. I've installed them in my 1999 R1100S and my 1995 R100GS-PD with very good results. Have tried the Bronze Oillite Bushings, but found them to become galled and useless in less than 10,000 miles. The Ei bearings also have a zerk fitting so the bearing can be re-lubed without removing the Final Drive unit.

Does anyone have any comments/experience with Chris Harris's torque for the OEM inside paralever bearing (10-12 ft lb)??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_j8SuiFQI

Lowndes

I don't set mine to a torque, but rather for the absolute minimum detectable CLEARANCE in the bearing. I use my fingertip across the bearing to measure the clearance. I feel it is too easy to get the bearings preloaded excessively as the jam nut is tightened. Tapered roller bearings can't resist much axial preload force - especially when the taper angle is as shallow as these bearings are.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

Steve.......do you have an update on the EI Bushing installation you performed earlier this year?

EI BUSHING KIT.jpg
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    I don't set mine to a torque, but rather for the absolute minimum detectable CLEARANCE in the bearing. I use my fingertip across the bearing to measure the clearance. I feel it is too easy to get the bearings preloaded excessively as the jam nut is tightened. Tapered roller bearings can't resist much axial preload force - especially when the taper angle is as shallow as these bearings are.
    As a matter of technique I apply medium strength (blue) thread locker to the pivot pin threads and allow it to cure for about 30 minutes. Then I tighten the lock nut without thread locker. I paint spot the pin so any rotation can be detected. Using this procedure the pin does not turn when tightening the lock nut.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    Steve.......do you have an update on the EI Bushing installation you performed earlier this year?

EI BUSHING KIT.jpg
    First I need to remember which bike I put those on

( just looked down page to see it was H's 1150...many miles since and all seems snug and fine)
    Just recall effortless install
    Steve Henson

Good looking stuff. I've gotta '94 R1100RS. Been sitting neglected for some years. I've gotta a lotta work ahead of me to bring it back. Those bearing/bushing upgrades may be a part of upgrade process. Thx guys.

Thanks for the reply Steve
    I have a set of these bushings for my 1100 RT and will be installing them this winter as part of my off season maintenance regime. I did have a set of the bushings from Rubber Chicken Racing and they lasted about 50K before they started to show wear so Iím looking forward to trying these

And Paul, thatís a great idea with waiting 30 minutes or so with the blue loctite. I may try that as well
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45