• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 R1100RS final drive pivot bearing replacement

BILLK75

Is there another source for the final drive pivot bearing besides BMW? Also any hints on replacing them?

Sadly no, FAG has an exclusive supply agreement with BMW.

Just replaced another a set yesterday, $115cad each from BMW dealer.

Robbery pure and simple for a poor design.

Make sure you preload correctly for maximum life (7nm) with a known accurate torque wrench.

Just a heads up.... the Nylatron aftermarket bushings don't even last as long as the bearing. I have an associate that has gone thru 2 sets and gave up.

Those bearings are a bad design in my opinion.

I would try the "Nushings" rather than going with the originals: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/final-drive-pivot-bearings-r1150gsa.1116193 I have a set in my emergency FD kit ready to go but haven't installed them yet. The design has gone through a few changes based on user feedback and seem to be the best solution.

You can also go with the Rubber Chicken bushings. http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/bushings.html They are Oilite bronze. Rubberchicken recommends lubing with Honda Moly but I think that is a bad idea - just leave them alone - that's the whole point of Oilite.

Those bearings are a bad design in my opinion.

I would try the "Nushings" rather than going with the originals: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/final-drive-pivot-bearings-r1150gsa.1116193 I have a set in my emergency FD kit ready to go but haven't installed them yet. The design has gone through a few changes based on user feedback and seem to be the best solution.

You can also go with the Rubber Chicken bushings. http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/bushings.html They are Oilite bronze. Rubberchicken recommends lubing with Honda Moly but I think that is a bad idea - just leave them alone - that's the whole point of Oilite.

See my comments on the "Nushings"

From my experience the stock bearings are still the best of the 3 and that is not great. The slightly larger ones on the transmission side never have issues. BMW should have used those although the casting would have needed to be a bit chunkier.

See my comments on the "Nushings"

From my experience the stock bearings are still the best of the 3 and that is not great. The slightly larger ones on the transmission side never have issues. BMW should have used those although the casting would have needed to be a bit chunkier.

If you very carefully pack them full of silicone grease, not silicone dielectric grease, silicone lube grease, no air anywhere they seem to last a lot better. If you can reach in after install before setting boot and pack the gap around them full of more grease then better.

Never ever use moly on oilite bushings. It plugs the pores.

Soak in motor oil if you want. I think a few days in Mobil 1 5W30 is good.

Rod

I have the bronze oilite bushings in my R1150R and Voni's R1100 RS. They work fine when properly installed and lubricated. There was an early issue with the interference fit but that has been corrected.

Bump...

Well, H said her 1150R was smelling like gear lube last week:scratch So, since was due for a 12K put'r on the lift. Was thinking tranny output seal with where dusty trails of lube were...somewhat happier it's just the pinion seal and lube was migrating forward...paralever dry inside, strut and bottom of p-lever dirty...off to work.

I had a set of the brass bushings that Paul mentioned...older set that were a challenge to remove this time...have them in other bikes and first time this was an issue.
Decided to try OEM again, but now going with some of the Ei brand from BeemerShop after Denise at Bentonville said the OEM's are now $93 EACH .... :banghead
Self destroying needle bearing set for $200...wow. Thought I paid way less the last time.

I sold a set to a friend a little bit back I had for some time...he may owe me a few tacos after this:wave

The Ei's come as a set with greasable pins w/removeable zerks . Ted said all positive feedback on early users...so I'm in.

http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TRA11094

Also available for other models .

My 2004 K1200LT has the same final drive pivot bearings. The bearings have over 190,000 miles on them. Do they have the notches in the bearing races yes. Do I care no. I remove them now & then to clean & re grease them. I buff the races with white rouge buffing compound on a buffing wheel in both directions. I reinstall them with new grease. The outside race wears more than the inside race so I swap them each time. When I set the preload I move the final drive up & down while I torque it to 62 inch pounds.

My 2004 K1200LT has the same final drive pivot bearings. The bearings have over 190,000 miles on them. Do they have the notches in the bearing races yes. Do I care no. I remove them now & then to clean & re grease them. I buff the races with white rouge buffing compound on a buffing wheel in both directions. I reinstall them with new grease. The outside race wears more than the inside race so I swap them each time. When I set the preload I move the final drive up & down while I torque it to 62 inch pounds.

:scratch Same as what? The Emerald Isle bearing offered by Ted Porter or the OEM ones?

Please keep us posted on your experience with those.

Got a set of Ei's delivered Friday. Look pretty good:thumb Installed them earlier, but haven't torqued the adjustable pin yet as the dinner hour was close and called it a day

P1020334.jpg

P1020336.jpg

And for those who have been lucky with long lived OEM's , great...Even on bikes that have never been serviced, seems I have needle bearings falling out and cages worn, especially on GS's.

Got a set of Ei's delivered Friday. Look pretty good:thumb Installed them earlier, but haven't torqued the adjustable pin yet as the dinner hour was close and called it a day

View attachment 59963

View attachment 59964

And for those who have been lucky with long lived OEM's , great...Even on bikes that have never been serviced, seems I have needle bearings falling out and cages worn, especially on GS's.

Cool, did they come with instructions for install/torque/lube type&interval?
Any chance of posting?

Cool, did they come with instructions for install/torque/lube type&interval?
Any chance of posting?

They did not. Part of the reason I stopped until I talk to Ted. I spent a few minutes with him on the phone the other day, but didn't ask a lot, assuming the kit would include some info.
The race cups popped in real easy after I set them in the freezer and heated the housing a bit. I fiddled with the adjustable pin loading a bit while wiggling the FD, but wanted to be sure of torque settings before I locked it down since the pin can bottom out in that race cup.

Will follow up Tuesday, he may be in the shop on Monday, seems I have reached him on Mondays before.

The answer I got, which I pretty much figured out just looking at the design, is to take slack out and tighten down.

Since they are not needle bearings in a tapered cage, the chance of over torquing is not the same concern.
Any typical bearing grease also fine. I will shoot some every 12K service and see how things go.

The answer I got, which I pretty much figured out just looking at the design, is to take slack out and tighten down.

Since they are not needle bearings in a tapered cage, the chance of over torquing is not the same concern.
Any typical bearing grease also fine. I will shoot some every 12K service and see how things go.
Keep us posted please!

Back