• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 R1100RS final drive pivot bearing replacement

Phone Ted Porter at The Beemer Shop --- get the Emerald Isle Paralever Pivot bearings/bushings. I've installed them in my 1999 R1100S and my 1995 R100GS-PD with very good results. Have tried the Bronze Oillite Bushings, but found them to become galled and useless in less than 10,000 miles. The Ei bearings also have a zerk fitting so the bearing can be re-lubed without removing the Final Drive unit.

I don't set mine to a torque, but rather for the absolute minimum detectable CLEARANCE in the bearing. I use my fingertip across the bearing to measure the clearance. I feel it is too easy to get the bearings preloaded excessively as the jam nut is tightened. Tapered roller bearings can't resist much axial preload force - especially when the taper angle is as shallow as these bearings are.

I don't set mine to a torque, but rather for the absolute minimum detectable CLEARANCE in the bearing. I use my fingertip across the bearing to measure the clearance. I feel it is too easy to get the bearings preloaded excessively as the jam nut is tightened. Tapered roller bearings can't resist much axial preload force - especially when the taper angle is as shallow as these bearings are.

As a matter of technique I apply medium strength (blue) thread locker to the pivot pin threads and allow it to cure for about 30 minutes. Then I tighten the lock nut without thread locker. I paint spot the pin so any rotation can be detected. Using this procedure the pin does not turn when tightening the lock nut.

Good looking stuff. I've gotta '94 R1100RS. Been sitting neglected for some years. I've gotta a lotta work ahead of me to bring it back. Those bearing/bushing upgrades may be a part of upgrade process. Thx guys.

Thanks for the reply Steve
I have a set of these bushings for my 1100 RT and will be installing them this winter as part of my off season maintenance regime. I did have a set of the bushings from Rubber Chicken Racing and they lasted about 50K before they started to show wear so I’m looking forward to trying these

And Paul, that’s a great idea with waiting 30 minutes or so with the blue loctite. I may try that as well

Back