Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riding The Icefields Parkway

Riding The Icefields Parkway

Although I live smack dab in the middle of the Canadian Prairies, where twisties are theoretical at best, I am lucky to be only a day's ride from one of the most picturesque roads in the world: the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff, Alberta. Here are the good bits of me and my RT's trek down there last week:

caz

One of our favorite rides. It was a brisk ride I imagine.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

It is certainly up there on the list of all time top rides.

My wife and I had the pleasure of riding the Parkway back in June 2014. On the way north to Jasper it was a glorious sunny day and two days later on the ride back down it was rain, snow and as the name suggests "ice". A little Jekyll and Hyde to say the least. It's not the most challenging road technically, but certainly a feast for the senses.
    If you add the Bow Valley Parkway to the days ride at the southern end (and can avoid the highway patrol) it is hard to beat.
    Mark Hubble
    2015 - R1200GS Black Storm Metallic
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA

Nice
    On to a 21 F750GS, Ride Safe, Richard (K7TNT) MOA #114372, IBA #59670 2015 Be the Adventure!

lagator
    One of the most beautiful areas that you can drive. Vistas in every direction. We drove it in 2012 and will be driving it again in June on our way back from Alaska. Can't wait.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 KenDittrick's Avatar
    Nice job - and a great to ride this prior to the onset of the summer July/August tourist season. These roads are better enjoyed at the speeds posted. The curves are generally gentle sweepers so canyon carving high speeds are not required. Slow down, even stop to enjoy the fresh mountain air and scent of evergreens.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

That is a great road for scenery. I did it solo but now the wife wants to go see it.
    Darrel
    '13 K1600 GT
    '15 R1200 GSA "Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    One of our favorite rides. It was a brisk ride I imagine.
    Well of course it was a brisk ride. They didn't name it the Sand and Cactus Parkway now did they?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

It was a little brisk but the heated jacket made all the difference. Much better than the next day riding from Calgary to Saskatoon: 50 km/hr headwinds, heavy rain with a bit of snow, and temps between 0.5 and 3.5 degrees Celsius the whole way. Appreciated the RT even more while it gobbled up the miles and kept me toasty. Biggest problem was freezing whenever I had to stop for gas.

caz

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Well of course it was a brisk ride. They didn't name it the Sand and Cactus Parkway now did they?
    Well, they call the Glacier NP road The Going to the Sun Road and that can be brisk as well.

We rode the Icefield Parkway a few times in 2014. I run a radar detector and had left it mounted out of habit. They are legal in Alberta, but I certainly was not speeding. Twice while puttering along the detector went off with great enthusiasm. On both occasions I saw no indication of a radar being used. It was all the more strange because in the park I was not getting an random singles from door openers, fuel pumps and the like. On a third occasion when the detector started alerting I was in a line of 4-5 cars that were waiting for a sow and cub to cross the road. As we began to move and I came abreast of the bears, the detector was in a frenzy and the directional arrows changed to point towards the bears as they were first at my side and then behind me. The sow's tracking collar was emitting a very strong signal and the previous alerts were probably from bears I did not see. Quite a good speeding deterrent.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    As we began to move and I came abreast of the bears, the detector was in a fi1renzy and the directional arrows changed to point towards the bears as they were first at my side and then behind me. The sow's tracking collar was emitting a very strong signal and the previous alerts were probably from bears I did not see. Quite a good speeding deterrent.
    Uh- breaker 1-9 there good buddy...we got Bears on the slab, over
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    These roads are better enjoyed at the speeds posted....
    At one time, the Park Rangers were enforcing the speed limit of 56 mph, as well as the RCMP; don't know if that's still the case....
    Rinty

That is a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Uh- breaker 1-9 there good buddy...we got Bears on the slab, over

My Bride and I just travelled the parkway on the 10th of this month. Great weather, nice and cool with an overcast sky. Kept the animals moving about and we saw plenty of them. We never seen any park rangers or RCMP on the roads, only sheep,mountain goats, deer, coyote and elk. The traffic was light as well which made the ride more enjoyable.
    Last edited by snookers; 06-16-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    2000 R1100RT , 2005 K1200S w/hack
    Niagara BMW Riders #298 BMWMCO #45 USCA
    "The measure of a society is how it protects its most vulnerable members."

Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    We never seen any park rangers or RCMP on the roads...
    Probably not enough business up there to make it worth their while. The Lake Louise detachment can do much better on the Trans Canada Highway, and it's closer.

And congratulations to you and your wife.
    Rinty