• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sena 20, BMW Nav V and Phone (mine is samsung 6) - pairing challenges

BostonG

So, looking to pair all three to be able to hear GPS directions & receive calls & listen to music. Pairing is inconsistent. Any suggestions on the order/process to use to make this work. Looking to see what to pair, in which order and steps... Also, what is the best/safest way to answer a call (and I know some will answer, no phones, but I'll accept the added risk and looking for simplest method). thanks

There is a whole thread devoted to this you just have to do a search to find it. Sena 20S/r1200rt.
There is also an instruction video out there that explains everything. Works like a charm once set up.

I hope it's helpful. As with many things involving BMW electronics, it's not intuitive. Perseverance, commitment to success and a calm mind are your friends in this situation...

I've posted before and I'll do it again. Everyone seems to lean toward the SENA products but I see continual post of problem after problem. I have Nolan's N-Com systems and never really have any issues. There is a nice iPhone app to set things up after you're paired. I have the integral B5 and my GF the M5.

Hey Phil, just swapped from a 2011 F800R (no navigator) and used only Sena 20 & Waze (via phone), worked with no problems. 2 weeks ago changed to a 2013 R1200GS and it came with a BMW Navigator V. Bit stubborn but was looking to get the Nav V work in place of Waze. Just reviewed the previously mentioned Youtube video's and will try it out this week.

I'm happy to say my K1200RS doesn't try to talk to me. But I do want to hear from my Sammy Galaxy S5 and my Garmin Zumo 660. In the end, I've given up on the Zumo's BT. It and the SMH10 and 20S simply don't get along well. I opted to use the Zumo as a visual backup, using Google Maps as the main GPS (hint: don't use "satellite view" unless you have an infinite data budget - learned that the hard way between northern Florida and Phila., PA). It doesn't help that Sena's communications with customers is, at best erratic. That's unfortunate because the products are very good. The support... not so much.

I've posted before and I'll do it again. Everyone seems to lean toward the SENA products but I see continual post of problem after problem. I have Nolan's N-Com systems and never really have any issues. There is a nice iPhone app to set things up after you're paired. I have the integral B5 and my GF the M5.
That's because the thousands of us using Sena without issues have no reason to post...been using my Sena SMH10 for a few years on three different BMW with BT bikes, various GPS and various phones, always works perfectly to the extent of the capabilities of the connected devices.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

+1! It's almost always Garmin's gear that causes problems.

That said, I think Sena needs to work hard on improving communications with their customers.

Hi neighbor - You might want to take a look at a video by Richard Battles who is the owner of RKA Luggage of CA. He's a SENA dealer and has created some YouTube videos which may lead you to a solution. Here is a link to the one which I think you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nB3JiPEqpQ

He has a bunch of others on the website (http://www.rka-luggage.com/A46 SENA/Video Instructional Page.html), but I think the one I noted above would be most helpful.

Nice video, but it's useless if you have a R1200RS as you don't have all that stuff on the dash operated by the wonderwheel. I have everything working except that calling or answering only works once: after that there's no audio. WTF. I've got tired with screwing around with it: calling underway is too distracting anyway, I'll just wait and use the phone when I stop.

Are you making your calls through the GPS or directly with your phone? Either way, try making and taking calls where you can watch the phone respond to the activity. That may give you an indication about what's wrong. FWIW, calls through the 20S to my Galaxy S5 are reliable. Most of the time. Sometimes there's nothing left but pulling over to power everything down and opening it up all over again. Yea, kinda like when Windows acts up...

Are you making your calls through the GPS or directly with your phone? Either way, try making and taking calls where you can watch the phone respond to the activity. That may give you an indication about what's wrong. FWIW, calls through the 20S to my Galaxy S5 are reliable. Most of the time. Sometimes there's nothing left but pulling over to power everything down and opening it up all over again. Yea, kinda like when Windows acts up...

Excellent advice. If on a long trip, do this after every gas stop and especially after an hour at lunch with the stuff off. Much better to find out a problem then than while on the road.

You need to get a feeling about how the elements of your kit work after a stop and re-linking up.

I have two Sena units, SMH10 and the 10C, on different helmets.

On the '14 GS I've had no issues using the phone (android) coupled with the NAV5, and the SENA coupled with the NAV5. I listen to music when in the mood from a SD card in the NAV5. I answer and use the phone via the NAV5, both work great when the NAV5 is paired to the SENA unit as if it is a phone, the phone is only pared to the GPS (not the SENA unit). Everything connects automatically, every time.

If you are having issues clear all pairings, pair the phone to the gps, (turn off the SENA)then turn the phone off and SENA on, and pair the SENA to the gps

I even pair my radar detector to the SENA. I do this as if it was a media device using a BT dongle. This does take away the option of listening to music via the gps when I use the radar. I'll probably listen to music through the Phone instead when I use the radar.

One other "magic spell" to try with an uncooperative Sena device is to poke the reset button with a paperclip (see the appropriate manual for the details). Also, for the 20S, use the smartphone app to manage it.

Back