• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

droptine

Droptine1968
Hi all, I have some uneven rear pad wear, and the wheel side pad is tapered. I figure it's that the caliper can't slide at all on the pins. So I want to take the caliper bracket off to clean and oil the pins. My Haynes manual says to draw the bracket off the caliper, but I can't get it budge. I've been trying to rig housing clamps around t he caliper with blocks of wood and try to get the bracket off with another clamp, but can't seem to get the clamps and the blocks to stay put and they slip off. I've tried prying it off with a thick screw driver, but I'm trying not put any pressure on the pistons. and there is so little to of the caliper to use for leverage. Is there supposed to be a little movement between the bracket and caliper. Any ideas?

Search ebay for a good used one. That seems to happen with the RT caliper - once solidly frozen up it doesn't appear there is any way aside from destruction to separate the bracket and caliper.

Search ebay for a good used one. That seems to happen with the RT caliper - once solidly frozen up it doesn't appear there is any way aside from destruction to separate the bracket and caliper.

Seems the RT guys use a high pressure sprayer more and blow water past the little boots, washing any lube out:stick Had an RT...I get it:wave

Seriously though, the two that have been stuck were RT's...one I let soak in liquid wrench, the other was replaced from Ebay. Seems the metal rods and aluminum carrier had a serious galvanic corrosion issue going on.

Need a clarification please, rear brake slide pins, 2007 R1200RT. It appears once the brake pads are removed, the carrier piece is attached to the caliper via the black rubber bushings. Can I separate the pieces by just pulling them apart or is there more to it? Thanks!
DP

Need a clarification please, rear brake slide pins, 2007 R1200RT. It appears once the brake pads are removed, the carrier piece is attached to the caliper via the black rubber bushings. Can I separate the pieces by just pulling them apart or is there more to it? Thanks!
DP

Pulls apart. Lubricate lightly and reassemble.

Just the info I needed to proceed, thank you!

When you lubricate the pins, make sure to use a synthetic grease specified for brake calipers. I have been using Permatex Ultra Disc Bake Caliper Lube for a number of years with good results.

Pins don't get more than warm in most uses so any lube from oil to high temp grease will work. Its main use is to prevent pad dust/water corrosion of the pins. Should always be done at pad change. Use some coarse bronze wool or medium/fine sandpaper to clean up dirty pins

Rear pads are different thickness side to side so the thin side wears out faster.

Try any rust cutter if pins are truly frozen but sometimes they do corrode past further use. First time I had this happen to me was on a 72 Z car in upstate NY road salt. Ate a whole bunch of the caliper metal in addition to freezing it.

Lubing those pins have probably saved me a lot of issues. I frequently check my rear caliper to make certain it is not heating up from the caliper not releasing fully.
Previously I had a very hot caliper and I learnt about the sticking pins here on the forum.

Over the years I have gotten into the habit of checking brake rotors and the rear drive for excessive heat. Lately I noticed my rear brake pads and rotor getting hot after easy riding and braking. Caliper off, cleaned and greased the slide pins and brake fluid flush. Back out for a ride, pads and rotor still too hot to touch after an easy ride. Front rotors not even warm. Thoughts? (2007 R1200RT)

DP

It's possible have too much grease on the front pin of the rear caliper. The grease prevents air movement along the flat side of the pin, and the caliper can be held against the disc instead of sliding freely. If you push or pull on the caliper it should stay in position when you let go - if it tends to spring back, this is the problem.

I removed some excess grease in both pin holes. Now my dilemma is I can't get the rear rubber seal to fit over the pin nut. Does that just butt against, or do I need to get that rubber seal stretched out? Thank you again for the good advice!
Denny

It's possible have too much grease on the front pin of the rear caliper. The grease prevents air movement along the flat side of the pin, and the caliper can be held against the disc instead of sliding freely. If you push or pull on the caliper it should stay in position when you let go - if it tends to spring back, this is the problem.

THANK YOU! I q-tipped grease out of the "female" parts of the caliper, then cleaned and applied a thin layer of high temp grease on the "male" pins. Vol la, no more hot brakes! I never thought too much grease would prevent easy movement. And I think I answered my question in my last post. The rear rubber seal just butts against the pin. I was over thinking this. Come on spring!
DP

I'm glad that fix worked for you. Thanks for reporting back - too often we offer possible solutions and never get feedback on what actually works.

11mm wrench

The slider pins on my '09 were frozen. After much searching, I found the solution is to unscrew the bottom pin with an 11mm wrench. It will screw right down into the slider boot before it is loose. It is now detached from the bracket.

You now can swivel and wiggle the calipers (without disconnecting the brake line) to get the top one loose. If you have never lubed it, it may be rusted in solid (sad pic attached). Clean them, and the receiving side via your favorite method, and lube (I use silicone brake paste - made for this purpose).

Getting the boot back over the ridge on the slider pin may be difficult if the boot has been ignored or smashed flat from being frozen flat for a while. If so, the boots need to be replaced.

pin.jpg

Last edited:
Back