• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Wheel Removal - 2016RT

zenwhipper

Bike has 150 miles on it and I pick up a nail on the freeway. Grrrrr. :cry

My plan is to remove the front wheel myself and take the bike to a dealer for a new tire install. Any tips, trick and links for the task that folks can offer? I did this for my FJR once and it was not a big deal. I hope the RT is straight forward. Somebody mentioned to me on the installation, you need to worry about the 'alignment' of the forks when the wheel is installed??

Grazi mates. Really appreciate the help.

Sorry to hear about your tire trouble. You may chose to repair, I like using the rope type. Ride to the dealer or just wear the tire out, your call for sure.

To remove the front wheel see page 116 in your manual. You'll need to remove the front painted fender only, remove the 2 side screws then slide it out it's held in place with tabs/hooks. I weight the rear of the bike and tie off the center stand so it won't fold up on you. You can also jack up the front if you like. You'll need to remove the axle, it's easy can be done by hand with the back side of a 5/8 spark plug socket or a 19mm allen wrench. It's an easy job, I change my own tires so I've done it a few times on my 14 RT

Jay

I have my wheels off to get new tires and powder coated. Do you put anti seize on the axle before putting it back together? It looks like there is something on it when I removed it.

I have my wheels off to get new tires and powder coated. Do you put anti seize on the axle before putting it back together? It looks like there is something on it when I removed it.

When needed I've been putting a little Honda Moly on the axle. BMW calls for Optimoly TA 18 21 9 062 599

Jay

Front wheel removal - '16 RT

Sorry to hear of your nail - might look into BMWMOA's tire/wheel protection package to ease the pain on the next nail.

On my '15 it is necessary to remove the calipers as there isn't enough clearance to remove the wheel - also noted in my manual is the removal of the ABS sensor. While patching a tire may be an accepted industry practice in automotive circles, I don't think your dealer will do a patch for liability concerns. Having TPMS on the bike will let you monitor things should you go the rope route. I picked up a nail in the rear and did a rope fix and it held and worked well for 1K or so miles with a slow leak - but I did replace the tire as I don't want to worry about a tire problem as I begin to get to better riding weather

Yup. I just replaced my tires, and you need to take the front calipers off to get the wheel off... along with the ABS sensor
Then loosen the right pinch bolt (when facing the wheel),
Axle bolt it just a socket,
Left Pinch Bolt,
etc.
It is all in the owners manual, very detailed, tips on spreading the break pads to ease re installation, Torque Specs.

Back