• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas pump etiquette

Certainly worth a try. My postal code is V0E 1B5, so I guess what you are suggesting is punching in 01500 - which certainly doesn't sound like any US postal code but who knows what works in this rather insane system. Paul, another tip I remember is calling your credit card company to let them know you will be travelling wherever and making small purchases - so they DON'T flag your credit card.

Had another embarrassing credit card situation many years ago when the limit on our card was rather low. Made several small purchases in Seattle (nobody cared about our postal code) then went to Reno. Had a couple hundred dollars cash for gambling and, very fortunately, won a couple hundred dollars at black jack. Turned out the credit card bill arrived after we left Canada and the card would not cover our hotel bill. Paid the hotel bill from my winnings, then lost the $200 cash. But at least I didn't have to take a job as a dishwasher to get back home. Though we now have much higher credit limits, think having a second card is a bright idea when you travel.

The rudeness and inconsideration several of you speak of - well don't know if it is a difference between small towns vs major cities or a difference between Canada and the US - but I am pretty impressed lately of the consideration around here that motorists accord pedestrians, bike riders, even other motorists that want to get out of a parking lot. When I am the beneficiary, I of course wave. And I try to pay it back. Really can't remember ever getting the middle finger salute.

Nobody has yet suggested why a Canadian credit card works fine at most US establishments except gas stations. Maybe I will call MasterCard and try to find out.

The trick with just putting in the numbers and padding with zeros works because the postal code is one of the things on the magnetic stripe, I have been told.

And, both American Express and Visa told me I no longer have to phone them to say I'm travelling, but Mastercard said thanks. This was just this February before going to Hawaii.

And, both American Express and Visa told me I no longer have to phone them to say I'm travelling, but Mastercard said thanks. This was just this February before going to Hawaii.

I go to the web sites for both of my credit cards to give them details of trips I go on. Easier than trying to reach a human being on a telephone.

Harry

I actually YELL at people who do things like this. I am old/ugly/grumpy and big. No one wants to deal with me, so they move.

Totally NOT an unknown art....somethin must have happened to the folks that don't know how to stand on two feet an tell folks when they are being less than courteous or doing something sub-human.........

lol....why be afraid of standing up for what is right and all that witness such KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT......intimidated???.......that is why the "concealed carry" permits are sooo very fantastic..............If you know you are right.....KNOW IT....That is what the bullies of this world hate more than anything........God bless these United States....Dennis

NO one does NOT even have to threaten, use, nor brandish a weapon other than your brain............

When I use a split gas/diesel pump and line up behind someone getting gas and I'm running my diesel, I will sometimes get "whydoncha use another pump?". I politely mention that as a user of diesel, my pump options are limited.
It takes a minute for the concept to sink in and if the motorist seems interested, I inform them why the diesel pumps are "generally" located on the outside of the island.
OM

Well, lot's of good discussion and input.

I don't think I'll follow some of the advice...If I or a loved one is in immediate danger, I'll do what I need to do. Dumba***** at a gas stop just don't elevate my need to express my love.
Not against speaking my mind, but pick the battles for the real threats or issues. Works for me and I roll on.I don't look to ignite a fire just because someone is inconsiderate...but that's me:wave

When I use a split gas/diesel pump and line up behind someone getting gas and I'm running my diesel, I will sometimes get "whydoncha use another pump?". I politely mention that as a user of diesel, my pump options are limited.
It takes a minute for the concept to sink in and if the motorist seems interested, I inform them why the diesel pumps are "generally" located on the outside of the island.
OM

The outer diesel pumps seem to be magnets for the clueless. There's four horse trailers and several RV's lined up and the lone wolf pump blocker chooses those lanes more than not:banghead

Well, lot's of good discussion and input.

Not against speaking my mind, but pick the battles for the real threats or issues. Works for me and I roll on.I don't look to ignite a fire just because someone is inconsiderate...but that's me:wave

I came back on here and wrote about how the folks that do nothing are the ones that are to blame for the ignorant to flourish.....But, I deleted that as I surely don't want to be thought of as trying to incite violence. Yes, standing up and speaking for the right is doing just that, encouraging or promoting violence.... ..It doesn't matter actually anymore. Those that advise doing more than doing nothing about the rude, ignorant, or idiotic behavior of what is becoming the majority are now considered the rude and ignorant..........Sorry Steve that I even admitted to trying to change this status quo by doing something........YOU are right....hang ones head and walk away and wonder why these acts are increasing..........God bless these United States.......Dennis

The outer diesel pumps seem to be magnets for the clueless. There's four horse trailers and several RV's lined up and the lone wolf pump blocker chooses those lanes more than not:banghead

I was gonna bring this up but y'all beat me to it. I'm usually one of the RVs. It is really irritating when it happens. I really like the stations that have separate diesel islands.

I like it. :thumb

Courtesy thru intimidation - a dichotic lost art. :dance
Kevin, I think you made up the word "dichotic:" I looked for it in vain in the Webster's which was given to my mother the year I was born. Or has the word been added since 1947? But, good word, even if it still isn't in a dictionary.

Lot's of good stuff on using Canadian credit cards at US gas stations - but still no word why there is no problem at restaurants or stores.

Any other Canadians on this thread who wish to agree/disagree that we are simply more courteous than many US citizens?

Sometimes as the comedian say's, you can't fix stupid.

Trying to control what I cannot control has brought me more grief and heartburn thru the years I tried....so, it's not about walking away, it's about being selective on who get's my thoughts and actions. I have my share of taking a stand stories.

I don't believe it's peoples fault for getting rude inconsiderate behaviors because they don't confront said behavior. Some folks just are not able or ready to do that.
I read somewhere violence begets violence.
What works for you is your choice as is mine. At some point, I may side with your method.
Rock on.

Kevin, I think you made up the word "dichotic:" I looked for it in vain in the Webster's which was given to my mother the year I was born. Or has the word been added since 1947? But, good word, even if it still isn't in a dictionary.

Lot's of good stuff on using Canadian credit cards at US gas stations - but still no word why there is no problem at restaurants or stores.

Any other Canadians on this thread who wish to agree/disagree that we are simply more courteous than many US citizens?

di·chot·o·my

/dīˈkädəmē/

noun

noun: dichotomy; plural noun: dichotomies; adjective: dichotic

"a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different."

I have thought about why only gas stations require the Zip Code as well and have come to conclude they are simply easy targets for scammers due to high volumes of small(er) purchases that don't necessarily get caught quickly. The act of getting gas for many is a humdrum activity where people are not paying close attention to what is around them (refer to OP). Motorcyclists tend to be very observant folk (that is how we stay alive) so do notice the little things more.

P.S. Just head over to Costco in Canada for gas on a Saturday afternoon if you really want to see a zombie parking lot. High entertainment for sure.

Not Canadian, nor play one on TV.
From a far southern U.S. (not the ol'south, the geographical one) in Texas, have visited almost all the provinces. Only in the one to the east of Ontario were we treated like annoyances more than not...the rest of the encounters were more than courteous. I know that's a broad brush for a large province, like saying all Texans are cowboys.:wave no offence to the nice residents of said province:love

I have taken a stand on more than one occasion and was very nearly arrested once because of it :). I too have learned in my later years to be a little more discerning, but she DID ask for it and I only had to pay for her glasses :fight.:)

How about the genius who drove off with the nozzle still in his (her?) car? Gasoline sprayed all over the lot. Luckily I witnessed this from across the street, and didn't get soaked or incinerated.

Now that's what I call inconsiderate.

Harry

I have taken a stand on more than one occasion and was very nearly arrested once because of it :). I too have learned in my later years to be a little more discerning, but she DID ask for it and I only had to pay for her glasses :fight.:)

Love it..........There is discretion, yes; but to allow stupid, sub-human behavior is to teach those doing it that anywhere they go, they can act this way and it is just fine. Then it just becomes worse and they teach their kids these low life behaviors..........Sorry; I just cant walk away and say oh that is just fine and shrug my shoulders.........

Taught "shop" for 30 years. I guess I would never make it now for that long. Parents, TV, and just the general public are what I say is to blame for the lack of courtesy, rude behavior, public displays of anti-social activities just go on and on......For me, I live up on my hill with my electric gate, cameras, alarms, livestock guard dogs, and other surprises for the unwelcome visitor..........YES, I do have to get out into the world. There, I expect to be treated as I do unto others......Why is that so wrong to expect?.......Seems that I am just out of touch and expect to much from folks................God bless these United States.....Dennis

OK will shut up and go back up and live in my Airstream on top of the hill.......There I am limited to 12V activities no internet. lol....I come on here when we have it rented to the yuppies that think it is cool to be "camping" in an Airstream or horsy type folks who bring their critters to ride the local many many miles of trail and pasture their critters on our place.............God is good.............OH yeah......ya'll are welcome, rent free...........

How about the genius who drove off with the nozzle still in his (her?) car? Gasoline sprayed all over the lot. Luckily I witnessed this from across the street, and didn't get soaked or incinerated.

Now that's what I call inconsiderate.

Harry
Harry, that isn't inconsiderate. That is really distracted driving. NOBODY would do that on purpose.

Oh come on Gail, you can't just leave us hanging; we NEED the full story.

di·chot·o·my

/dīˈkädəmē/

noun

noun: dichotomy; plural noun: dichotomies; adjective: dichotic

"a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different."
Kevin, you continue to impress! 1. How did you get your computer to put those little marks - especially the upside down "e" - into your post on pronunciation? (This is something we would all find useful from time to time.) 2. Do I remember correctly that you were a cop for most of your working life? Must have found time to also get at least a Masters in English at some point. I only have a minor in English - though I did teach grade 8-10 English for five years. Thought I did an OK job of it too. But your little post I quote puts you way out of my league in understanding of the language, though I DID know what dichotomy means.

Always a pleasure to read your posts and stuff in the ON.

Kevin, you continue to impress! 1. How did you get your computer to put those little marks - especially the upside down "e" - into your post on pronunciation? (This is something we would all find useful from time to time.) 2. Do I remember correctly that you were a cop for most of your working life? Must have found time to also get at least a Masters in English at some point. I only have a minor in English - though I did teach grade 8-10 English for five years. Thought I did an OK job of it too. But your little post I quote puts you way out of my league in understanding of the language, though I DID know what dichotomy means.

Always a pleasure to read your posts and stuff in the ON.

Alas, Doug, I cannot take credit for the finer nuances of my post - I had simply "cut and pasted" from an internet source to address your curiosity, so the detailed punctuation simply came along for the ride.

And your academic resume exceeds mine, so it is I who bow in deference to you, when it comes to the Queen's English. Having two teachers (my daughter and an uncle) in the family, I greatly respect the profession. :wave

Back