• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas pump etiquette

Whether at the gas pumps, the movie theater, a restaurant or on-board an airliner, rude, selfish and inconsiderate behavior is the new norm.

It's a social epidemic with no cure in sight. :banghead

Not all of them pay attention.
Last year we fueled at the Turner Bend Store in Arkansas. Only a couple pumps there and we wanted to take a break so I pushed the bikes to the front of the store when I was done filling the bikes.
A couple other bikes pulled up to the store and started to talk to us right away.
After 30 minutes or so I look at Debbie and ask if she paid. Nope. I go inside and told the girl I had forgot to pay.
She thanked me for paying and admitted she had not noticed I had not paid.

We stopped near Bentonville,Arkansas last week and the four clerks....busy place!... were asking each other where the blue Toyota driver was...seems was a fill and flee.

Many small two pump stations/ snack stores even here in Texas want you to pay before you pump. The larger big brands still have a Pay Inside option .

We have experienced the pre-charge estimate somewhere as well...might have been in Quebec? Wasn't even close while I tried to figure out litres vs. gallons for two bikes:laugh

In British Columba (and maybe all of Canada) you have to pay before you fill your tank with gas. No, they don't want you taking off without paying. The easy way is to insert your credit card at the pump, punch in your PIN number, remove the card when the display says so, fill the tank, then park elsewhere if you need to use the bathroom or buy a candy bar. Henzilla says he uses his US credit cards in Canada - and I presume the dollar difference shows up on his credit card bill. Wouldn't you think the US could extend Canadians the same courtesy? Been a few years since I travelled to the US and thought this would have been fixed by now.

Crossing Ontario last summer or US card would not work at pumps so Debbie would go in, estimate high on what we needed for fuel, they run our card and when done, credit back the difference.
Our card company would give us the current exchange rate and no added fees. Some card companies charge a small fee.
I think it was on the return trip across Ontario one of the attendants told Debbie a lot of station still let you fill the bike and then walk in to pay. This worked at several stations after that.

The station by me does not require pre-pay, but the stations a mile down the road by the freeway do. I've noticed the stations in the northern part of the state are not pre-pay. I guess they're more trusting in northern Michigan.

The station by me does not require pre-pay, but the stations a mile down the road by the freeway do. I've noticed the stations in the northern part of the state are not pre-pay. I guess they're more trusting in northern Michigan.

Fewer crooks, I'd guess, but I'm not from around there. :)

At stations on the northern Cassiar and ALCAN highways it is common to see stations with older style pumps. Never been asked to prepay for gas at these stations. I think one reason might be is that there is no place for a drive-off to hide.

As a traveller from Australia with a foreign credit card (even though it's VISA or Master Card) we often find that the pump will not accept our cards. Even if we try using a legitimate zip code. It's no big deal and gives us a chance to have a chat to the people working in the store.

We did have a funny experience once on our last trip to the US -

We were in Anacortes, Washington headed for the Tsawwassen ferry to get to Vancouver Island. A quick stop for fuel (still in the US) and as usual this can be a challenge with foreign credit cards, but it was a bit different this time. No surprise, the card doesn't work at the pump so I go into the shop and the pleasant young woman behind the counter smiles, I say "G'day" and "Sorry I don't have a zip code". She surprises me by saying - "You're going to get angry at me". I assure her I won't as she takes the time to explain the process. We had been following this routine for weeks and it was certainly no problem, but she explains anyway. She just needs to run a transaction before we pump the gas and we need to guess how much we will spend. I thank her and tell her I understand and I am certainly not angry. She then exclaims that I'm unusual - “Most Canadians get angry”. I tell her I'm Australian not Canadian. She apologises once more, this time for implying I was Canadian. I tell her I don't mind that she thought I was Canadian and she says - "Oh no, you don't want to be Canadian - they're horrible".

I can only assume this is similar to the local rivalry we have with our New Zealand neighbours - a little dig any chance we get. Or I had accidentally walked into the US / Canadian Public Relations Bureau. :)

My wife learned the hard way about taking credit cards from other countries. It was a small sale for lunch and coffee. When she reviewed the credit card settlement she found out that there was a $25.00 surcharge on the card because it was not issued in the US. It could be that the point of sale machines have been programmed to not take cards from other countries. She wishes hers had that option.

Easy to be nice

Recently I started to park my bike away from the pumps if I had to go in for a rest room or food. Then after I'm all done with that I put my gear back on and go to the pump. I wish others would do the same. That way it doesn't matter whether you have to pre-pay.

Whether at the gas pumps, the movie theater, a restaurant or on-board an airliner, rude, selfish and inconsiderate behavior is the new norm.

It's a social epidemic with no cure in sight. :banghead

Not to be a cynic, but I agree. Narcissistic behavior extends from the bottom to the top of society, but seems more prevalent at the top.

Recently I started to park my bike away from the pumps if I had to go in for a rest room or food. Then after I'm all done with that I put my gear back on and go to the pump. I wish others would do the same. That way it doesn't matter whether you have to pre-pay.

Excellent application of common sense - which isn't so common any more. Good job.

Another peeve at the pumps, moreso in a 4 wheeler, is when there are more than 1 islands in a row and maybe 4 places to pull up to fuel...and the first car stops in the first stall instead of moving to the end pump. Seriously?

They get out, look at the multiple vehicles lining up, and just don't see the problem....then walk in to get that 44oz. soda and a pack of cigs:banghead

I used to pull around and back up to them, returning the favor as they then got to wait for me. I stopped doing it as they didn't get it 99% of the time anyway and times have changed in the road rage possibilities.
I will slide by on a bike if room and go to the next one ,leaving the end to the guy in the truck a spot that is making that circle.

Courtesy...yeah, a lost art.

Old and grumpy

I actually YELL at people who do things like this. I am old/ugly/grumpy and big. No one wants to deal with me, so they move.

Doug, when filling up in the US, simply use your postal code #s, (omitting the letters) and add two zeros at the end. For example N6E 1B4 becomes 61400. :thumb

This works for me at least 19 of out 20 times, if not more. The odd time it doesn't I think that the credit card company is just checking my identity for all the small gas purchases.
Certainly worth a try. My postal code is V0E 1B5, so I guess what you are suggesting is punching in 01500 - which certainly doesn't sound like any US postal code but who knows what works in this rather insane system. Paul, another tip I remember is calling your credit card company to let them know you will be travelling wherever and making small purchases - so they DON'T flag your credit card.

Had another embarrassing credit card situation many years ago when the limit on our card was rather low. Made several small purchases in Seattle (nobody cared about our postal code) then went to Reno. Had a couple hundred dollars cash for gambling and, very fortunately, won a couple hundred dollars at black jack. Turned out the credit card bill arrived after we left Canada and the card would not cover our hotel bill. Paid the hotel bill from my winnings, then lost the $200 cash. But at least I didn't have to take a job as a dishwasher to get back home. Though we now have much higher credit limits, think having a second card is a bright idea when you travel.

The rudeness and inconsideration several of you speak of - well don't know if it is a difference between small towns vs major cities or a difference between Canada and the US - but I am pretty impressed lately of the consideration around here that motorists accord pedestrians, bike riders, even other motorists that want to get out of a parking lot. When I am the beneficiary, I of course wave. And I try to pay it back. Really can't remember ever getting the middle finger salute.

Nobody has yet suggested why a Canadian credit card works fine at most US establishments except gas stations. Maybe I will call MasterCard and try to find out.

I actually YELL at people who do things like this. I am old/ugly/grumpy and big. No one wants to deal with me, so they move.

:laugh:laugh:laugh A few of our small town ranchers in their old trucks fit that description...but they are some of the offenders and I let them be for sure. They sometimes comment on our motorsickles, especially the Airhead...or maybe it's Helen:scratch

Certainly worth a try. My postal code is V0E 1B5, so I guess what you are suggesting is punching in 01500 - which certainly doesn't sound like any US postal code but who knows what works in this rather insane system. Paul, another tip I remember is calling your credit card company to let them know you will be travelling wherever and making small purchases - so they DON'T flag your credit card.

Had another embarrassing credit card situation many years ago when the limit on our card was rather low. Made several small purchases in Seattle (nobody cared about our postal code) then went to Reno. Had a couple hundred dollars cash for gambling and, very fortunately, won a couple hundred dollars at black jack. Turned out the credit card bill arrived after we left Canada and the card would not cover our hotel bill. Paid the hotel bill from my winnings, then lost the $200 cash. But at least I didn't have to take a job as a dishwasher to get back home. Though we now have much higher credit limits, think having a second card is a bright idea when you travel.

Doug, your new Zip Code should work for you. I've been doing this for six years with great success. Even though I notify my credit card companies about the mulitple small purchases that I'll be making out of province, I still occasionally get to visit the clerk for ID.

Travelled with an American friend through from Eastern Canada and through Ontario a few years ago. He only had one credit card and it began to refuse his purchases. He did have American cash and since retailers were not giving him the proper exchange, I traded him Canada money for his Franklins' and Jackson's so he would not lose on his money. After a day of this, it took him almost an hour on the phone to sort this problem out with his credit card company. A second card would have made his travelling much easier.

My primary travelling credit card has a limit of about $1000. Before leaving home I usually put a couple of hundred or so on it to reduce my fuel bill when I get home. However, this card is in my travelling wallet (with usually only $40 or $60 cash) that is in and out of my jacket at gas stations and convenience stores. If it should get lost/stolen, it is not a big deal. My normal wallet with driver's license, high limit credit card, and other needed pieces of ID I keep locked in the bike.

My bank in Canada (TD) definitely supports the Postal Code/Zip Code mash. I understand it is used to purely understand whether this is your card not a stolen one. The card number and the billing address confirm that it is your own because the billing address is known. I could not plug in a postal code for someone else unless they lived on my block - it would not work. Here is what the bank FAQ has on their website (their bold emphasis):

Travel Tip #4: Purchasing gas at U.S. pumps using your TD Credit Card

When travelling in the US, if you are purchasing gas and want to pay at the pump with your TD Credit Card, you may be prompted to enter your Zip Code. However, if you live in Canada you won’t have one! Don’t worry – here’s a quick trick that will help you make that purchase at the pump.

Simply take the three digits of your postal code (e.g., K2L 2K4 = 224) and then add two zeros (e.g., 22400) and you will be able to pay at the pump using your TD Credit Card.

Back