• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello to all...
When my Dad passed on a few years back, I ended up with his 78, 100/7 bike. I had ridden dirt bikes as a youngster and into my early twenties. An Ace 90 Hodaka and later a 360 2 stroke Husky.
Early on, our vacations surrounded dad setting up his Ducati and my Hodaka 90 trail bike for a long weekend heading out to eastern Washington.
The Naches river was a favorite of mine. Dad and his buddies would hit the trails. Mom would pack some lunches and we would take off together another direction with our fishing gear into the backcountry. We would follow the river all day looking for the best holes along the way. I have some incredible memories of those days. We always came back to camp with dinner for all. As a kid, life was the best it could be.
As the day died down, I would lay my bedroll by the campfire. It's funny how memories are so strong. I enjoyed the sound of the river a few yards away. The stars above were brilliant, and the day's adventures stayed fresh in my mind. Sleep came easily for a young kid. Mom and dad and the old Chrysler station wagon were parked over by some pine trees and I could hear dad sawing logs.
I had not ridden at all on pavement back then. Today I am wanting to expand my horizons by hitting the back roads throughout Washington state.
More then anything, I plan on strapping on my fishing pole and scoping out some of the streams along the way.
The beemer is a beautiful machine for just this, and am proud to be able to keep Dads old rig on the road, as long as I can.
As a new member, I am looking forward to meeting some of you one day and perhaps hitting the road for some fishing, when time permits.
I want to thank all those that have helped me with some electrical issues recently. I might mention, I have little knowledge other than basic maintenance involving the bike,whether it be electrical or mechanical. My knowledge is better based in woodworking, trout fishing and bluegrass music.
That's my introduction. Thanks, R.Ahrens

Last edited:
R. Aherns -

Welcome to the forum! Nice mental images of your youth! The /7 should be a good machine to tour on, and there are plenty of places there in the Cascades of Washington. When you get a chance post a picture of your bike. My /7 is a September 1977 build.

Welcome

I believe your father would be pleased to know that you're using his bike in this fashion. In so many ways the true Airheads are perfect for what you're doing, both as a motorcyclist and a fisherman. Those bikes do require some maintenance, but it is all doable by the motivated rider/owner. They're also light enough and rugged enough to go a lot of places. In some ways they remind me of old automobiles, when you pop the hood there's just an engine under it; not an incomprehensible maze of plastic shrouds, vacuum lines, and electrical wires. The airheads of your vintage are modern enough, though, to be durable and reliable. Have a good time!

Hello to all...
When my Dad passed on a few years back, I ended up with his 78, 100/7 bike. I had ridden dirt bikes as a youngster and into my early twenties. An Ace 90 Hodaka and later a 360 2 stroke Husky.
Early on, our vacations surrounded dad setting up his Ducati and my Hodaka 90 trail bike for a long weekend heading out to eastern Washington.
The Naches river was a favorite of mine. Dad and his buddies would hit the trails. Mom would pack some lunches and we would take off together another direction with our fishing gear into the backcountry. We would follow the river all day looking for the best holes along the way. I have some incredible memories of those days. We always came back to camp with dinner for all. As a kid, life was the best it could be.
As the day died down, I would lay my bedroll by the campfire. It's funny how memories are so strong. I enjoyed the sound of the river a few yards away. The stars above were brilliant, and the day's adventures stayed fresh in my mind. Sleep came easily for a young kid. Mom and dad and the old Chrysler station wagon were parked over by some pine trees and I could hear dad sawing logs.
I had not ridden at all on pavement back then. Today I am wanting to expand my horizons by hitting the back roads throughout Washington state.
More then anything, I plan on strapping on my fishing pole and scoping out some of the streams along the way.
The beemer is a beautiful machine for just this, and am proud to be able to keep Dads old rig on the road, as long as I can.
As a new member, I am looking forward to meeting some of you one day and perhaps hitting the road for some fishing, when time permits.
I want to thank all those that have helped me with some electrical issues recently. I might mention, I have little knowledge other than basic maintenance involving the bike,whether it be electrical or mechanical. My knowledge is better based in woodworking, trout fishing and bluegrass music.
That's my introduction. Thanks, R.Ahrens
Hodaka ACE 90 me too, In my early years. Also Naches I know where that is too! Sending you a PM>:wave

Welcome from Kerrville, TX. I am sure you are going to love getting on the road with that classic and your fond memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78 100/7 polarity issues thanks Kurt .

R. Aherns -

Welcome to the forum! Nice mental images of your youth! The /7 should be a good machine to tour on, and there are plenty of places there in the Cascades of Washington. When you get a chance post a picture of your bike. My /7 is a September 1977 build.

Thanks Kurt, yes I will post a picture this weekend prior to popping off the front cover to inspect for burnt wires. Yes the battery will be disconnected first. Ha !!
We have similar bikes which is great. I just bought a Givi shield which I am surely enjoying.

Back