• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Life For an F700GS?

glenb

I wanted to see what kind of battery F700GS owners are getting.

This assumes a bike kept in good condition and the use of a good battery tender.

I wanted to see what kind of battery F700GS owners are getting.

This assumes a bike kept in good condition and the use of a good battery tender.

Impossible question to answer, so many variables including the manufacturing process. I have seem more new batteries suffer from catastrophic failure (instant) then 3 year old ones.

My 04 Boxer Cup went 9 years on the OEM, My F800GS 5 years, and I don't treat them well, I frequently kill the engine with the kill switch, and leave the HL on for several minutes, put them on a tender just a couple times over the winter in an unheated barn.

My guess is 95% of battery failures give you a lot of warning, slow cranking, dim lights without the engine running, or dim noticeably at idle etc. The instant failures are rare and no amount of love and care or even replacing the battery will lessen the changes, that failure is a crap shoot.

I have a 2013 700 GS which I purchased in December of that year. It was built in May of that year, so not sure how long it sat on the dealers floor with battery in her, but not being run regularly. I changed her out this year about a month ago, so probably had not quite 3 years of time on her. I do take care of the battery with use of battery tender for anything over a week of non-use, and ride all year so battery never gets a chance to run down. Having said that, she seemed to be a bit sluggish this spring and noticed that she would drop down to the red flashing light on the pig tail right away when starting, and if I killed her at first, she really slowed down on re-start. So, a new battery this spring. I figure it's a lot cheaper and convenient to change her in my garage than on my first long tour across the country. Obviously, and new battery can be a dud, and I've experienced only one in my 50 years of driving, so I go with the odds that a new battery ($100) is cheap insurance against the possibility of inconvenience! I pay more that that to take the whole family out for dinner sometimes.... so everything is relative, eh?

I have an 07 ST , it is on a BMW factory battery number two.:wave 9 years -#2 not bad.

Last edited:
The battery in my wife's 2014 F700GS lasted one month short of it's two year warranty. It was in an insulated garage in a moderate climate. It got to the point that it was loosing .1-.2 volts a day.

Odyssey PC680s in our K75Ss are still going stong after 9 years. Too bad the F700 doesn't allow a "real" sized battery.

:dance:dance:dance

Back