Thread: R1200RT: Rear brake pads are wearing unevenly

R1200RT: Rear brake pads are wearing unevenly

Was checking the brakes and noticed on the rear brake, one pad is almost completely worn down while the other pad is not that worn. I have the servo brakes.
    2014 Triumph Speed Triple
    2007 F800S
    2006 R1200RT

On my 2011 R1200GS the rear pads are different thicknesses out of the box, I think because of the rotor viewing hole on the back of the one pad.

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    might want to try to use the front AND rear brakes at the same time.....more on the front too....
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

On brand new pads, the friction material on the outer pad is 7mm thick, on the inner pad it's 5.25mm thick. I find they tend to wear at the same rate, so the difference is pretty constant.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    might want to try to use the front AND rear brakes at the same time.....more on the front too....
    Aren't those linked brakes?
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

Check the slider pins on the caliper, likely seized. The hydraulic piston pushes on one pad (outside pad) and the caliper slides on the pins to bring the second pad (inside pad) into contact with the rotor. If the pins are seized the caliper does not slide and most of the braking force (and wear) is on the pad connected to the piston(s).
    2014 R1200GSA 38,000, 2008 HP2 Sport 11,000, 2008 R1200GSA 100,000 (Sold), 1990 R100GSPD 102,000, 1986 K100RS 154,000

Pins

+1 , I vote for sticky caliper.

The floating rear caliper should have the pins cleaned and lubtricated at least every time changing the pads. I learned this after NOT doing it and I noticed the caliper getting hot even when not braking much. Too hot to touch.

I also noticed the rear tire had stopped rotating slightly after the bike was started on the centre stand.

After cleaning and lubing the caliper pins both of my BMWs rear wheels will now rotate slightly after I start the engine on the centre stand.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT,
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker; 2016 Honda NC700 DCT

Just saw this yesterday on a friend's '06 RT. He had squealing pulling into his garage - and the rear wheel was not easy to turn. These ones were stuck about as solid as I've ever seen. He went to a friends shop when I was visiting. Compressing the assembly didn't help, wonking on the bracket with a dead-fall hammer didn't help. I browsed EBay - luckily lots of used calipers on there, ranging from $35-100. New from BMW - $650. My suggestion as I left was ebay. It would appear necessary to destroy the caliper to break the pins free. So a different caliper, greased before mounting on the bike seemed the best answer.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!