• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT: Rear brake pads are wearing unevenly

tasslehawf

Was checking the brakes and noticed on the rear brake, one pad is almost completely worn down while the other pad is not that worn. I have the servo brakes.

On my 2011 R1200GS the rear pads are different thicknesses out of the box, I think because of the rotor viewing hole on the back of the one pad.

might want to try to use the front AND rear brakes at the same time.....more on the front too....:)

On brand new pads, the friction material on the outer pad is 7mm thick, on the inner pad it's 5.25mm thick. I find they tend to wear at the same rate, so the difference is pretty constant.

Check the slider pins on the caliper, likely seized. The hydraulic piston pushes on one pad (outside pad) and the caliper slides on the pins to bring the second pad (inside pad) into contact with the rotor. If the pins are seized the caliper does not slide and most of the braking force (and wear) is on the pad connected to the piston(s).

Pins

+1 , I vote for sticky caliper.

The floating rear caliper should have the pins cleaned and lubtricated at least every time changing the pads. I learned this after NOT doing it and I noticed the caliper getting hot even when not braking much. Too hot to touch.

I also noticed the rear tire had stopped rotating slightly after the bike was started on the centre stand.

After cleaning and lubing the caliper pins both of my BMWs rear wheels will now rotate slightly after I start the engine on the centre stand.

Just saw this yesterday on a friend's '06 RT. He had squealing pulling into his garage - and the rear wheel was not easy to turn. These ones were stuck about as solid as I've ever seen. He went to a friends shop when I was visiting. Compressing the assembly didn't help, wonking on the bracket with a dead-fall hammer didn't help. I browsed EBay - luckily lots of used calipers on there, ranging from $35-100. New from BMW - $650. My suggestion as I left was ebay. It would appear necessary to destroy the caliper to break the pins free. So a different caliper, greased before mounting on the bike seemed the best answer.

Back