• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing valve cover

jnrugg

I took a little spill last year and scrapped up my right side valve cover.
I got a replacement but didn't bother to replace it over the winter.
When I went to do it the other day I realized the screws are captive.
I am not keen on reusing the same bushings and do see the part in the parts fiche.

So the question is, just pull out the screws and push everything back together with the new bushing?

Also, the bottom front screw seems to be stripped, it keeps turning but there is no leakage.
Any suggestions for fixing the threads?

It's a 2002 1150RT.

TIA!

I am looking to do my valve adjustment for the first time ever on my 04 R1150GS ADV and when I went to BMW they also suggested the big round gasket in the middle of the valve cover (#3 in the image) as well as the 4 bushings for the bolts and obviously, the valve cover gasket.

From working on Audi and BMW cars, OEM gaskets are always the way to go IMO and replace any that you remove. May also want to consider changing plugs as well while you are in there just to getter done

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMid/B0003733.png?v=07012015

Ignore advice about helicoils and persuasion. The grommets come on the bolts, or can be ordered seperately I think. If so, pry off the old grommets and install the new ones. A little oil helps them slide onto the bolts.

Not sure if the rubber grommets come on the bolts, but i know you can get them separately. Replaced mine when I had my valve covers powder coated.

Please elaborate

His issue - as I understand it - is he has a new valve cover and the old bolts with sealing grommets attached. He said he didn't want to re-use the old grommets. So one post then advises helicoil or timeserts. Another post advises persuasion. Neither appears particularly useful in deciding whether to get new grommets, new bolts, with grommets, or reuse the old bolts and grommets.

His issue - as I understand it - is he has a new valve cover and the old bolts with sealing grommets attached. He said he didn't want to re-use the old grommets. So one post then advises helicoil or timeserts. Another post advises persuasion. Neither appears particularly useful in deciding whether to get new grommets, new bolts, with grommets, or reuse the old bolts and grommets.

This was in the first post:

"Also, the bottom front screw seems to be stripped, it keeps turning but there is no leakage"

That's why I asked.

I will get new grommets. Does anyone know what size helicoils to get?
The fiche shows 2 different bolts that look exactly the same but no information on size or anything.

Or you could simply buy a new head - which is what the dealer recommended when a guy I know stripped one these same bolts last month. Estimate with labour was $2,000. Seriously.

He ended up buying a Time-Sert kit and installing it himself. Bike is good as new. 80 bucks all in.

Or you could simply buy a new head - which is what the dealer recommended when a guy I know stripped one these same bolts last month. Estimate with labour was $2,000. Seriously.

He ended up buying a Time-Sert kit and installing it himself. Bike is good as new. 80 bucks all in.

Yeah, I heard about that one...criminal!

These screws bottom when you're turning them down. When they do, stop. No reason for them stripping or the head threads stripping except for over tightening. Past bottom is over tightening. The gaskets will be sufficiently compressed at just bottom.

And, these vinyl gaskets are good for many mountings and removals of the valve cover. It's chebbie thinking--of no relevance to German machinery--to replace them needlessly. This even applies to the OE composite valve cover gaskets used on Airheads--I've had them remain useful for over 5 years, with at least yearly valve checks if not more often. Again, German practice and American practice are apples/oranges.

This is the first time I have taken the cover off since the "accident".
I did tighten the other 3 until they stopped, this one just kept going.
This corner took the major impact of the fall.
The bushings for the screws are inexpensive, it cost almost as much to ship them.

I have put on Ztechnik bars to keep the covers off the ground, just in case.
I also leave side cases on for the same reason.

I still haven't put a new brake lever on.
I have one but it looks like there is some sort of adjustment screw on it.

Persuasion. As in, give a good pull to get the old bolts out of the valve cover, so one can reuse them with new grommets. When trying to get the bolts out of the cover, they do not come out quite so easily.

Persuasion. As in, give a good pull to get the old bolts out of the valve cover, so one can reuse them with new grommets. When trying to get the bolts out of the cover, they do not come out quite so easily.
I cut the old rubber grommets with a razor as this made life easier for me. No oil spills and none of the tug of war bs

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Back