• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

trying to replace rear brake pads on 2002 r1150rt

manofsteel1

started this project due to my abs lights are flashing alternately. very fast. at first just the "brake failure" was flashing and the triangle was on. Had very little brakeing action in the rear. Foot brake all of the way down and all it did was just slow a litttle. I also saw that there was very littl brake pad showing, so I figure to replace them also. Before I try to figure out what more is wrong with the ABS. And of course, mine is not yet repairable to rebuild by Module Master. They said ABS lll models.
Anyway, I do not know how to remove the pins or pin on the brake caliper. I do not see a little paperclip in between the pads....should there be one?. Then how do I remove them? With the caliper still bolted or off? Which way do I drive that out? Should it be easy. I've videos for the from but nothing for that year for the rear. I need help on all of these issues if someone can. Thanks:hungover:banghead

Remove the little cir-clip at the rear of the caliper, then drive the pad retaining pin out towards the wheel.

Does you bike have black rubber lines? If it does there is a very good chance the internal passage is blocked at the caliper banjo. These lines are all deteriorating and the symptoms you describe are classic. This issue will cause ABS faults as well.

In any event if you do have the rubber lines they need to be replaced immediately and the entire system flushed with fresh DOT 4 fluid.
This is also a safety issue as the lines will also bulge and braking can be lost completely.

Your servo system has 2 separate circuits on both the front and rear and will need a special funnel.
Flushing and resetting the ABS with a GS911 may solve your problem.
Link to the procedure: http://advrider.com/index.php?resources/abs-3-service-v2-0.7/

If you have silver braided lines ignore the above info.

Attachments

• Rear caliper.jpg
    Rear caliper.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 261
rear brakes for 2002 RT

Went to the garage to look for the clip. There was none. Not sure if there ever was one or what. tried to tap out toward the wheel but no movement. Did not want to hit too hard for I did not want to break the casting. Any more suggestions?

Then you have the newer version, the pin has a friction collar that holds it in the caliper.
Using a pin punch smaller than pin, give a solid tap ...it will come out .

brakes

\ That worked Henzilla. Thanks Now get this, called Bobs bmw in Jessup, Md and they said that the 2002 r1150 rt has the abs type 1. So who is right, Bobs bmw or others who says it is abs type 3 which is unrebuildable. Anyone know for sure?

Do you hear a motor activate when you squeeze the brake lever or when stepping on the pedal?
Or post a picture of the unit, I can tell you right away.

Last edited:
2002 1150 rt abs

I am the owner of a 2002 R1150RT. The bike has an integrated and servo assisted ABS system (type 3). The ABS pump, until recently, was not rebuildable.

I used to have the same model RT. The brake warning light and general warning light flash in specific frequencies and combinations to indicate different problems with the braking system. I believe if you remove the seat there is a decal that tells you what the different combinations mean. You should probably take a look at that, worn down brake pads is not one of problems that activates the lights. I only had those lights activate once for me and it indicated low brake fluid pressure which led me to discover a leak in the rear brake line. I ended up replacing them with steel lines.

No expert here but….

started this project due to my abs lights are flashing alternately. very fast. at first just the "brake failure" was flashing and the triangle was on. Had very little brakeing action in the rear. Foot brake all of the way down and all it did was just slow a litttle. I also saw that there was very littl brake pad showing, so I figure to replace them also. Before I try to figure out what more is wrong with the ABS. And of course, mine is not yet repairable to rebuild by Module Master. They said ABS lll models.
Anyway, I do not know how to remove the pins or pin on the brake caliper. I do not see a little paperclip in between the pads....should there be one?. Then how do I remove them? With the caliper still bolted or off? Which way do I drive that out? Should it be easy. I've videos for the from but nothing for that year for the rear. I need help on all of these issues if someone can. Thanks:hungover:banghead

You will want to upgrade to steel brake lines. As others have mentioned the old, rubber lines are subject to clogging, etc. I recently had a good mechanic (4 hours labor) perform a, "servectomy" on my bike and I am much happier.

Back