• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2015 Mileage Contest

Could it just be that a lot of us don't bother to enter? I don't - I believe it needs another member's signature and I don't know anyone closer than 2000 km!

Check the Anonymous book for towns/cities near you. There are a couple of folks who post here from N.B.

Now you have no excuse. :D

Riding to and from the person you know, twice, will give you a good base of kilometers to build upon.... :dance.

And if none of those options are palatable, just let the mileage coordinator know your situation with a note on your mileage form, and as I understand it exceptions can be made. Unless your a top finisher shouldn't be an issue. I'm speaking from memory, so email mileage coordinator for confirmation if in doubt.

Could it just be that a lot of us don't bother to enter? I don't - I believe it needs another member's signature and I don't know anyone closer than 2000 km!

Something like that. I am busy with other stuff and to have to search out a signer, well, thanks, but no thanks.

That's the way it is with me. I have seen the notice in the magazine of the contest every year, but wasn't interested in it. I know that high riding mileage is a point of pride amongst BMW riders, so I can see how a contest like this would appeal to some.

Dick Hautau member number 70

I have stopped looking at it as a contest and more of a roll call of sorts. I look through the state's see where are members are and how they are riding. I look for the lowest member number (Dick in this case) and take inspiration in the notion that if he feels it's important it probably is. I watched the movie, "The Big Year" 2011 with Steve Martin and Jack Black a couple of years ago. It's about a similar contest for birders. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it, very funny and touching. The movie's concept highlights the reasons why I think the mileage contest is a healthy activity for us in the BMW club and I encourage all who read this that haven't filled out their forms to reconsider and send it in, you have till May 15 to get the form in.:)

I have some good years of riding and other years where life gets in the way and the miles do not add up very quickly. However, even during the years of low riding, I enter my mileage since I believe in order for riders to appear at the top of their province or state's list, there is a need for as many of as possible to participate in the "Mileage Contest". :)

No worries. A notary can do the signing.

From the webpage:

If you live in a remote area, and have difficulty getting signatures, that will be taken into consideration.

Voni
sMiling

I live far from a dealer and it is really hard to snag any other MOA members in my area, but....in the past, I was always able to mark in my mileage and put my PE stamp on it and it got counted....
Since I am never in contention for any awards, it was, as noted above, more a roll call, so Karol and others must have figured I was telling the truth. Speaking of a roll call, I did not see anybody above mention that there 'apparently' were no participants this past year from California.....:scratch ....pretty sure I sent mine in, but maybe it dried up and blew away in our drought....

That omission will be in the next ON...there was another thread with the details somewhere.

Isn't Wyman in Solvang somewhat close by Cali and TX standards?

Sorry, Steve, been back to the MOA forum, but not here since April.....Solvang is 'only' 450 miles or 7 and a half hours away via US 101. Probably pretty much the same via the coast on the moto :)

There are MOA members 'in the area' but never seem to be able to meet up with them. Dealers are 3-4 hours away and that is what I did for a couple years when I was commuting to Sacramento before retiring. When I move to San Miguel de Allende, GTO, MEX, I will only be 45 minutes from the dealer in Querataro. Hopefully that is within the coming year as our home there is around 90% complete. Since the RS is not worth much on the market, I will take it with me and use it for long hauls and pick up a new or used 800GS for that area. Will have a Loredo address so I can still be in the MOA.....:wave

Just picked up my latest ON so I will check out the CA listings.
Thanks!

Back