Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Camping Skills?

Adventure Camping Skills?

I want to ask pudgypaintguy‘«÷s question in another way.

What skills, reading, gear etc should you focus on if you think you want to branch out into adventure touring? You are the average rider of the MOA site. You have done your share of motorcycle camping. The bike, riding skills and the basic gear is there. What needs to go between the camper‘«÷s ears to be ready?

The trip may be to Alaska or a boarder to boarder following the continental divide. You are likely to encounter things or needs that you have not in the past or have had ready resources in a traditional campsite to deal with the need. What do you do to prepare.

BUBBAZANETTI
    i taught wilderness survival courses for the boy scouts and what i found was, the little things were what made all the difference. things that pack up small and light, a compass, a 50 ft piece of parachute cord, leatherman style multi tool (gerber is my personal favorite) a piece of magnesium or flint, some lint from the dryer, an emergency blanket (aluminum foil looking thingy that packs up to the size of a pack of cigarettes) a headlamp, a small tarp, some tent stakes, a first aid kit, etc, etc................

but in terms of practical camping, the best things to have are a good sleeping bag and a good ground mat. tents are nice but a bivy sack and tarp work just as well. a small stove if you're into cooking (i never bring one, but its a personal preference) from my way of thinking, its always better to have a sleeping bag that is rated for cold weather and lie on top of it in the warm than to have something you'll be freezing in if traveling through different climates........

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
    i taught wilderness survival courses for the boy scouts and what i found was, the little things were what made all the difference. things that pack up small and light, a compass, a 50 ft piece of parachute cord, leatherman style multi tool (gerber is my personal favorite) a piece of magnesium or flint, some lint from the dryer, an emergency blanket (aluminum foil looking thingy that packs up to the size of a pack of cigarettes) a headlamp, a small tarp, some tent stakes, a first aid kit, etc, etc................

but in terms of practical camping, the best things to have are a good sleeping bag and a good ground mat. tents are nice but a bivy sack and tarp work just as well. a small stove if you're into cooking (i never bring one, but its a personal preference) from my way of thinking, its always better to have a sleeping bag that is rated for cold weather and lie on top of it in the warm than to have something you'll be freezing in if traveling through different climates........

Yep. Everything I learned about camping I learned in Boy Scouts.

You only have three objectives when you're camping - warm, dry and well fed. Anything beyond that is gravy. If you've got a way to get a fire going, you're halfway there.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

SNC1923
    Being a bald-faced newb to both motorcycling and camping (well, I have 50,000 miles, but I'm still newbish) this topic is of great interest to me.

How about an informational article for the home page, maybe an adjunct to the "motorcycle camping" one that we have. Any interest in writing something Bubba?

http://www.bmwmoa.org/camping/camping.htm

There is a great deal of good information here. It covers a lot of questions and raises others. I am wondering about the next level sort of thing. I want to do some "backpacking on two wheels" type of trips.

SNC1923
    You've cited the article to which I referred. The "next level" you mention is what I'm asking someone to write for our homepage.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC 1923
    You've cited the article to which I referred. The "next level" you mention is what I'm asking someone to write for our homepage.
    I was guilty of see what you wrote without reading what you said.

SNC1923
    I wish I could say that I've never done that.

Let's go camping!

I'm going camping this weekend. Maybe I'll shoot some video or take some pictures while I'm packing.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

BUBBAZANETTI
    i'd be glad to write up a little something, who's the man to talk to about that now, with all the shakeups i'm not sure who does what.................

I've done a lot of primitive camping in varying conditions over the years. Survival techniques were a hobby of mine as I was growing up.

A nice read and one full of good info is How to Stay Alive in the Woods by Bradford Angier. All kinds of cool stuff in there. If you are interested in the idea of augmenting your food supply with things found in the wild, the Euell Gibbons books (e.g. Stalking the Wild Asparagus) are also fun and very informative.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
    i'd be glad to write up a little something, who's the man to talk to about that now, with all the shakeups i'm not sure who does what.................
    Vince is your man. You've got content? He's the guy.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by M1ka
    What needs to go between the camper‘«÷s ears to be ready?
    You need to know how to be SELF-SUFFICIENT. It is easy to learn. Just leave your cell phone, credit cards and cash at home and go motorcycle camping (less than a half-tank ride from home).

GOOD LUCK if your fool infection or ABS goes belly up.
    Click here for Tales of Motorcycles and Life
    - BMW MOA Lifetime Member #18854

Quote Originally Posted by flash412

GOOD LUCK if your fool infection or ABS goes belly up.
    Fifteen years of using both and it still hasn't happened. Just as a data point.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Imho

The consumate guide to backpacking is, and has been since the 70's, 'The Complete Walker' by Colin Fletcher. It's a thick hummer, but if you really want to learn the ins and outs of backpacking there is no better place to start and get a very long way down the road. I've been backpacking and canoe tripping for about 40 years now and the skills do translate very well to motorcycle lightweight touring. (I also teach Boy Scouts and their leaders.) HELLO fellow Scouters!!!