• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel gauge reading low on R1150RS

04r1150rs

ONE LESS HARLEY
On a 2004 R1150RS, I'm looking for any info regarding, inaccurate fuel gauge readings. Just topped up and the RID doesn't show completlely full, and low fuel light come on early. Just wanting to see what others might have to say about this.

First and easiest thing I'd do is disconnect the electrical connector under the fuel tank. Clean the male and female sides with electrical contact cleaner. This should reduce corrosion at the connector and reduce resistance at the plug. If your fuel gauge isn't damaged inside the tank then this should fix the low reading.

On a 2004 R1150RS, I'm looking for any info regarding, inaccurate fuel gauge readings. Just topped up and the RID doesn't show completlely full, and low fuel light come on early. Just wanting to see what others might have to say about this.

A very common situation after servicing fuel filters on these bikes. The fuel gauge uses a float arm that comes out with the pump plate that holds pump and filter. The arm can easily get bent and hang up either on the side of the tank or on the internal hoses. If the gauge is consistently off the only fix seems to be pulling the pump plate again and adjusting the float wire, but knowing which way and how much to adjust is tricky.

Best,
DG

The common ground wire for pump and gauge causes the inaccuracy. Here's the fix in a nutshell: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?82560-R1150-R1100-Fuel-Gauge-Reading-Low-A-Fix&highlight=.

And if you don't have a second load relay on your twin spark: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?79888-R1150RT-2nd-Load-Relay-for-Twin-Spark&highlight=.

Same for R1100RS?

Does most of what's above apply to R1100RS's? I don't have a fuel gauge or RID on my '94 but my low fuel light is constantly on.

Does most of what's above apply to R1100RS's? I don't have a fuel gauge or RID on my '94 but my low fuel light is constantly on.

No the ground issue applies to the RID bikes.
You will need to check if the tank internal switch is functional and that the float is not jammed.

Back