• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help the Noob: Handlebar risers r1100r 1997 w/ABS

patton

Tried to search, but it did not have success.

Purchased some aluminum block risers and it looks like my option to use them is to remove the instrument cluster bracket, install risers and stock bars and then trim the cluster bracket so that it fits into place.

For those that have added risers, am I going down the right path?

Thanks in advance, Robert Patton

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Robert:wave
Not sure which riser kit you have...can you get a picture?
We had some risers on a 95 R, the four bolts holding each gullwing came off and blocks go underneath them. Longer bolts should be part of kit, and if stock windscreen in place, you need to be careful of flimsy support brackets secured with same bolts with hex nuts
Shouldn't need to touch cluster :scratch
I'll go see if bro in laws '99 parts bike still has them for some pics

Again, welcome aboard

Oh yeah, see your issue if you have the chrome tri guage cluster. Our 95 does not.

KIMG1096.jpg
95R

KIMG1095.jpg
99R

Are the risers for your year specific model? Hopefully someone remembers that particular install as it looks like it's pretty tight to do any mods

Steve, thank you for posting the pictures, my skills at the "inter webs" is very limited.

The top photo is a mirror picture of my '96's bars, and the risers fit like a charm,a 10 minute installation.

The pictures clearly show the problem with my '97 bike. So, the question to the audience: Remove the instrument cluster bracket, remove the metal carefully from the sides to give clearance for the bars that will be 1" higher thanks to the risers?

Right?

Again, thanks for your help with the pictures and the warm welcome.

Robert Patton

Nobody:dunno
Went over and studied the 99 a while.

Looking at it, cutting the edges off the cluster looks like it would be really close to the switches on the outboard edges so the bars would fit raised an inch, maybe even compromising their mounting.
Besides not being able to remove the risers without leaving a less than desireable look for the next guy.
Is it a make or break to use the riser blocks?

Make or break ? My back and upper body like the risers that are on the '96 bike. so, yes.

Gotta be someone out there that has tackled the jizz-wheel challenge on a '97 or newer bike. I'll make it look gooder with duct tape and household caulk. Help!

RP

I get the ergos thing, just looked like a lot of work and close to switch mounting.I'll modify stuff as we rarely let bikes go.:ha

The Roadster owners seem to be a small bunch here...especially the 1100's. Give it a few days to see if someone adds some intel.

Steve, got it done without using the duct tape.
Will try to post pictures. I must say the results look really good. Thank you for your help.

RP

Was the change worth it? Did it help your ergo needs?

Steve, got it done without using the duct tape.
Will try to post pictures. I must say the results look really good. Thank you for your help.

RP

I'm in the same predicament, just made worse by raising the seat to the highest setting, which I like for the additional leg room, but now I'm bent over a little more to the bars. I'm thinking about trying what you did Robert. Can you post pictures of how yours turned out, and provide a description of how much work is involved?

And the main question: did it help your back and upper body? Do you now have a more upright riding position?

Thanks,
Ed

Back