• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pin removal tool for Amp connectors

rxcrider

Does anyone happen to know which tool fits the round pin terminals on a 1999 R1100RT. I'm making one good wiring harness from two and need to swap some of the plastic Amp connectors, including the ones for the fuel pump plate and key switch. I don't know which series they are so the next step is to work backward from a part # but I figured I'd see if anyone has already been down this road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some wiring harness work on my 1997 R1100GS, and assume the connectors are the same. Although manufactured by, and labeled, "AMP" I found the pins, sockets, and housings are a proprietary design for BMW and unavailable to the general public. I ended up going to the local BMW car dealer (bike dealer was no help) and ordering pins/sockets with pigtail wire attached. Some parts research was needed but I found the same parts used in the radio connection of a 3 series IIRC. www.realoem.com might be helpful to cross reference parts.

I was reusing the stock housings, so if you hare replacing the housing you will be able to easily find compatible pins and sockets.

I bought a generic pin/socket extractor from a local electronics shop. I suspect you can use something like a small screwdriver or small, dull nail to push the pin/socket out of the housing.

I have done lots of wiring mods to BMW harnesses. As already stated, all the AMP components are BMW source only. My company purchases many AMP parts and this line of components is off limits to us as well.

As for the pin extractor, I was not able source a manufactured one, so I made up my own.

I custom machine them up as a service.

If anyone wishes one, please send me a PM

Most auto parts stores, or tool trucks (Snap-on, MAC, Matco) will have a variety of tools.

Path corrected and a temporary solution found in the eraser holder of an old Pentel mechanical pencil. GSAddict - I'll be in touch shortly.

IMG_5948.JPG

IMG_5951.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG

IMG_5953.JPG

I used a D-sub insertion/extraction tool (red/white):

24101.jpg

I flatten out the brass side. Crimp pins popped right out.

BMW sells a really nice tool for those; I have one. It's part of a set but I just bought the one for the larger pins as found on the fuel tank connector and the HES. I used it just this afternoon.

I hope I remember to post the tool number tomorrow when I get back to the shop.

BMW sells a really nice tool for those; I have one. It's part of a set but I just bought the one for the larger pins as found on the fuel tank connector and the HES. I used it just this afternoon.

I hope I remember to post the tool number tomorrow when I get back to the shop.

It's tool 61 1 132. It's spring loaded so it pops the terminal out once it's released. Works like magic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 54
Depends how much you use a particular tool. As often as you do this work, you'd forget the $60 pretty quickly. I assumed you were already using one; I would have sent mine for you to try out.

A year or so ago I bought a $60 spark plug wrench from BMW because I liked it better than the Snap-On one I'd been using. The best tool for the job hinges on more than price.

Depends how much you use a particular tool. As often as you do this work, you'd forget the $60 pretty quickly. I assumed you were already using one; I would have sent mine for you to try out.

A year or so ago I bought a $60 spark plug wrench from BMW because I liked it better than the Snap-On one I'd been using. The best tool for the job hinges on more than price.

I totally agree, I have some very expensive dedicated purpose crimp tools.

I just started making a cost effective solution for members who were not doing it for a living.

Thank you for the offer of the trial BTW.

Anton & GS - is it the same tool for the female pins? Haven't found one I need to remove yet, but the way this project is going...

Back