Thread: MotoSafe Blog... what would you like to see?

Smile MotoSafe Blog... what would you like to see?

Hey, folks! I've recently been installed as the new MotoSafe blogger here on MOA http://www.bmwmoa.org/blogpost/1224309/MotoSafe. I've already made two posts, and a guest blog post was just uploaded.

Safety is such a varied topic for us motorcyclists. I'd like to know what you think should be covered? PM me, or post to this thread. Thanks!

Pam
    Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.

A couple of good thoughtful posts here. Thanks Pam. I'm an ATGATT guy, I think about safety, but I still do dumb stuff when I get overenthusiastic or inattentive. Maybe a post about the mental side of safety?

Pam, I think this blog is an awesome opportunity to get the conversation rolling about motorcycle safety, something I think many of us are passionate about. Going to take a look at your blog now.
    R. Reece Mullins 2022 Sport Blue R1250RT (Anja)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100 #1
    BMW MOA President

Suggestion: summary of bike and car accident statistics

In the context of safety, a look at the actual risks we are taking by using a car or a bike would be interesting. I know the basic numbers (accidents and deaths per mile travelled) are available, and I vaguely remember the risks per mile are about a factor ten larger when using a bike.
    It would be nice if somebody could search for and summarize more detailed breakdowns, maybe by type of road travelled, by age of rider/driver, by season or time of day, depending on what is available. I imagine that this might take some digging: maybe some data are only available at the state level, or only in studies and not government reports, etc.

Similarly interesting would be a summary of data on the effect of protective gear. There is an Australian study that looks at risk of hospitalisation after an accident as a function of the type and quality of gear worn: http://www.georgeinstitute.org/sites...gear-study.pdf
    One of the results I remember being surprised at is the large improvement that results from just wearing any type of boot, motorcycle boot or non motorcycle-specific, compared to other shoes.
    A well-written short summary of that study would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Pam, I think this blog is an awesome opportunity to get the conversation rolling about motorcycle safety, something I think many of us are passionate about. Going to take a look at your blog now.
    I'm considering making the detailed account of my 2004 West Virginia crash (which my husband watched unfold from behind me), the next blog post.

P
    Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.