Thread: K75 Spline lube details

K75 Spline lube details

I recently bought a '90 K75C with 41,000 miles on it. I asked the seller if he knew when the final drive splines had last been lubed and he looked at me blankly. But, it was a beautiful bike at a nice price so I said "what the hell"

Today I dismantled the final drive in order to inspect and lubricate the splines. I plan to us Honda Moly 60 grease, and everything that I've read says to make sure that you remove all of the old grease before re-lubing. BTW, there wasn't much grease to remove, just enough to dirty a clean rag.

I think I got lucky in that the splines, to my untrained eye, look good. I've included a couple of photos and would appreciate comments. Do these splines look clean enough to apply new grease?

So, here are my two questions: What is the best way to remove the old grease? Can I use a grease solvent like "Super Clean"? How about Kerosene?
    Second, when it's time to re-lube, just how much grease should I slop on these splines? Just enough to fill the recesses between the splines or should I go nuts?

Thanks in advance

IMG_1007.jpgIMG_1008.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those look like excellent undamaged barely worn at all splines.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Looks real nice to me. Kerosene is my cleaner of choice. The harsh products like "brake clean" go too far. As for quantity of grease, I'm a bad one to ask
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

1/ old tooth brush and any degreaser
    2/ just enough. don't go crazy.

how many miles on that driveshaft?
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    1/ old tooth brush and any degreaser
    2/ just enough. don't go crazy.

how many miles on that driveshaft?
    41,000 miles

Not sure what you guys are looking at but I sure see some wear on those splines. The driving side seems to have a ridge among the whole length. It's not bad, but there is visible wear.

OP, can you take a good photo of the splines on the driveshaft?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Not sure what you guys are looking at but I sure see some wear on those splines. The driving side seems to have a ridge among the whole length. It's not bad, but there is visible wear.

OP, can you take a good photo of the splines on the driveshaft?
    I'll do that but cannot until Monday as I'm away for the weekend.