• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90/6 Noise in Trans when rolling bike with Clutch in

81malibu81

I have recently noticed that when I'm rolling my bike out to ride I can hear a noise in the transmission that sounds kind of like marbles or metal plates clunking.

It does it with the bike running or not running with the clutch lever depressed (pulled in) just rolling with 1st gear selected.

Any ideas what this might be?

I would suggest that what you're hearing is pretty normal. With the clutch lever pulled in, there's nothing to keep the shafts from rattling around. When the clutch is engage, you have power working it's way through the input shaft, intermediate shaft, and finally the output shaft on to the rear wheel. So things remain "tight" this way.

You should monitor the spooge that appears on the magnetic drain plug of the transmission. If it's always a light slivery paste, you're fine. If you begin to see larger chunks, then you have something going on inside.

But I think you're fine.

OK, good. The '76 got the updated tranny, better than the early models. The bike is 40 years old has the transmiion fluid been changed out at the proper sequence with the correct fluid. Very important to longevity and good service of the internals. Another little problem can be the speedometer cable boot at the back end of tranny. They dry rot and crack. Water can get into the transmission housing and do big time damage to bearings and other internals. Maybe time to remove the tranny have a professional inspection and maybe rebuild. Good luck with your project.

Could be that someone dropped a driveshaft bolt into the driveshaft tunnel and didn't fish it out. We had one at our last tech day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back