• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Picking Up My 16 R1200RT TODAY

Just a few weeks ago moved from an R1200R to a new (Ebony) RT. R12R was a great bike, but the RT is tremendous and the protection is appreciated on those 42 degree days we see so often in Maine. Really happy with it. And I agree - when you're riding, the looks (for better or worse) are immaterial.

Congrats sub man on your new bike. At national we'll have to have a row of ebony RT's. We'll be like, "Wait, where did I park my bike?"

Besides taking performance up another notch, there's another bonus from the waterboxers: with my '04 and '09 RT's, I had to top up the oil frequently for the first 20,000 miles or so. With my 2015, I haven't had to add a drop of oil since the 600-mile service a year ago.:brad

I've already made the psychological switch to the new bike. When I ride my bikes I feel like I'm riding someone else's bike. I've never owned a new bike. These are exciting times at 104 candlewood dr. My inspiration for the new bike was the newly minted lifetime member, Jerry Elliot's 2014 RTW and his taking the time to show me all its features. Riding behind him on the RT clearly demonstrated all the capabilities of that beautiful bike on the most challenging roads in America. Jerry won the grand prize door prize (a lifetime membership) at the Fontana getaway. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. He was all smiles, giddy as a school girl. I was so happy for him. At 72 I was standing beside him when he told Vance they got a deal with him. I looked him right in the eye and said, "Jerry, make em earn it!" He's going to follow Rhonda and me down to P'cola on Ursula on the day I trade Ursula in for the new bike. It will be a glorious day for sure. I'll try to post lots of pics.

As long as we're talking Ebony, here's my month old baby.:)

26135864903_c5c5dd4212.jpg

26739869375_e08405cc4f.jpg

Attachments

• 26135813543_e25ae1183e.jpg
    26135813543_e25ae1183e.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 153
From what I've read I really want a new RT.
I have a 2000 r1100rt and have read the new ones are better in every way functionally. I ride pretty hard so would take advantage of the new motor and frame. Even my r1100rt with modern tires is worlds better than the old /6 /7 I used to ride.

But I can't get on board with the looks of the front of the new r1200rt yet. The batmobile look. All those busy angles.

I am really hoping they will do a redesign of the look before I am too old to want a 620 lb bike. (The r1200rs looks better to me for example).

If I was certain there would be no redesign on the r1200rt in 2017 I might have to just buy a 2016 and learn to live with the "new" look.

Anyone else hoping for the next r12rt to be a bit more elegant lookswise or is it just me stuck in the past?

I bought a used '04 RT in 2005 because I did not like the looks of the new generation RT that came out in '05. Pretty much looked the same through 2013, and while they improved the product I could not get myself to appreciate the looks. When I heard about the new RT and seen some pictures I knew I had to have one. Is it the most beautiful bike BMW ever offered? No, I still think the 1150 RT's hold that honor. But I do like the looks of the new RT. I will tell you that I probably would not have put 500 miles on the old RT if I had kept it in the garage with the new one. There is that much difference!

I too feel the exact way as Real Shelby about the looks of the RT. I had an 02R1150RT in Titian Silver, the bike looked amazing, best looking bike ever in my opinion. After buying the 14 RT the 02 sat until I to let her go... Last year I put 500 miles on my Wee Storm. I love riding the Wethead

Jay

Interesting how everyone's taste is different. I did not care for the '04 and older looks. But I bought an '06 because I thought it looked great. I had more compliments on the looks of that bike than any other I owned. That is also part of the reason I bought my new '16. To me it looks great. It is good that tastes are different or there would be a lot of bikes from the past still I a crate. :)

I loved the look of my '09 RT, but the new ones are too gaudy. I settled for a R1200RS, and am I ever glad I did. What a bike!

33,000 mile seat?

For some reason there's a lot of that going around--I plan to celebrate my 60th in June by re-riding the Tail of the Dragon.

I have a little over 33,000 miles on my 2014 RT and it was out of commission for the first three months I had it for the emergency suspension recall. So it's safe to say that I love it.

I am 60 and just rode the Dragons Tail on my 2014 GS... ( not my first trip down 129 ) And make the ride all the way into Helen, Ga as parts of it are as nice as the dragon itself... You can add the foothills parkway on the approach to the Dragon if you are coming from the east .

So, my question, I love the liquid-cooled boxer enough that I traded my K1600 GT on an 2016 RT. There is zero wrong with the K16 but after 1500 miles on the RT, it is a superior ride for me... The 170lb weight difference and better rain protection easily offsets the loss of the buttery-smooth power of the K16 (and I am only 5'9" 160lbs)

Ok , now the question for real, What seat do you have that allows you to ride 33,000 comfortably... Certainly not the plank that come with it???
Thanks

Just got Gretchen back from the 600 mile service this weekend

So I picked up Gretchen may 16th. I must say an impressive bike. We're getting to know each other well. Sunday blessed enterprise with thunderstorms and heavy rain, so I did some calisthenics while I cleaned the bike in my newly remodeled garage. Life is good. Ebony is an awesome colour.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I am 60 and just rode the Dragons Tail on my 2014 GS... ( not my first trip down 129 ) And make the ride all the way into Helen, Ga as parts of it are as nice as the dragon itself... You can add the foothills parkway on the approach to the Dragon if you are coming from the east .

So, my question, I love the liquid-cooled boxer enough that I traded my K1600 GT on an 2016 RT. There is zero wrong with the K16 but after 1500 miles on the RT, it is a superior ride for me... The 170lb weight difference and better rain protection easily offsets the loss of the buttery-smooth power of the K16 (and I am only 5'9" 160lbs)

Ok , now the question for real, What seat do you have that allows you to ride 33,000 comfortably... Certainly not the plank that come with it???
Thanks

The Sargent seat works great my derriere

20160521_184928.jpg

It's all a matter of taste. The batmobike design is one thing that sold me on the WC RT. By contrast I didn't like the look of the old RT or any GS.
...almost looks like a transformer figure!! And I LOVE the wind ergos, better than my Harley, or the K1600GTL I rode for a while. This is my second RT. And my last, I'm sure.

Thanks

I've put the Russell Day-Long on my 2015 RT. I did 40K miles on a RDL on my 2008 RT, and liked the saddle so much I got pretty-much a duplicate:

IMG_3089.jpg

I see BMW has announced the only changes to the 2017 r1200rt is different colors and abs pro.

I wonder when they will do a more major update to the r1200rt.

I still think the front of the new bikes is too busy for my aesthetic, but find the ebony color makes that busyness less pronounced. I don't know how much longer I will be able to resist a new waterhead.

Although once I get my r11rt dependable again maybe I won't feel so time pressured for a new RT. And I still am having fun with my FJ09 as a playbike.

I'm having a mid life crisis I guess and feel like anything I want to do I better do while I can........I'd probably buy a s1000xr to play with if it wasn't so buzzy.

And I wish BMW would figure out it needed to make bikes more reliable, like say a fjr1300 which is in comparison bombproof. With the new beemers, after warranty ends it's a crapshoot.

Last edited:
Every butt is different but the stock seat with an Airhawk works for me. I can easily do 575 mile days.

What airhawk do you have?

I'm thinking of trying one and I'm not sure if the Airhawk R Cruiser seat pad would be the one (and if SM or LG would be right) for a wet head.

From what I've read I really want a new RT. (haven't ridden a new one but have ridden the r1200rs and a k1600).

I have a 2000 r1100rt and have read the new ones are better in every way functionally. I ride pretty hard so would take advantage of the new motor and frame. Even my r1100rt with modern tires is worlds better than the old /6 /7 I used to ride.

But I can't get on board with the looks of the front of the new r1200rt yet. The batmobile look. All those busy angles.

I am really hoping they will do a redesign of the look before I am too old to want a 620 lb bike. (The r1200rs looks better to me for example).

If I was certain there would be no redesign on the r1200rt in 2017 I might have to just buy a 2016 and learn to live with the "new" look.

Anyone else hoping for the next r12rt to be a bit more elegant lookswise or is it just me stuck in the past?

(I was out of bikes for 20 years but have been riding again with a passion. Have ridden about 14k miles in last 6 months, on three different bikes including the r11rt. )
I also owned a 2000RT, then a 2013RT and now a 2016RT since last September. I love the new look and the bike is superior in every way to my former Beemers.
4300 mi. now and loving it.

Besides taking performance up another notch, there's another bonus from the waterboxers: with my '04 and '09 RT's, I had to top up the oil frequently for the first 20,000 miles or so. With my 2015, I haven't had to add a drop of oil since the 600-mile service a year ago.:brad
You are correct, I always carried a qt. of oil for my 2000 and 2013RT's. I'm soon to be 62 yrs old and with this bike it's going to the dealer every 6000mi. and all I'm doing is checking tire pressure thru the computer. Need a new seat thou.

Russell day long, oh, and this helps me on my trips

Thanks

Got a Russell , and love the heck out of it...i have had Corbin, stitch rich, and some others. All quality good, and each had its pros and cons depending how i was fitted...

Still the best add on to the seat was the embroidered backrest..You would be surprised how many folks complimented the dog image rather than the bike...LOL..I have heard some great stories out there on the road with folks that have had similar breeds....(Yea, we stud our dogs and show them).....

IMG_0419.jpg

Back